Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

Just joined this forum since I am having troubles with my 2010 insight :p. Things were okay as far as I knew then suddenly everything went south. My dash wont turn on anymore, nothing electronic works on it anymore until the key is in the ignition turned all the way to the end to start the car and even then because of the backup only some things turn on.

I have checked he fuses and I saw one that was blown out, but somehow all the fuses have blackness on them like something burned ( I will take a picture).

Also checked my battery terminals and they are pretty tight but just to be sure I took them off and then put them on again.

I also been having IMA troubles and the batteries wont charge either of them :confused: .

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard. Without know much more Id say you purchased a used gen 2 from a no name car lot that sells hurrina Sandy vehicle. :)

Visiting a Honda dealer maybe a good idea.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Are you getting any Check Engine Light codes? Go to an autozone if you can and have them pull the codes for you. Not sure if the Gen2 can do blink codes like the Gen1? I would at the least take the 12V out from under the hood and take it someplace like Autozone to have it tested. A bad 12V battery can cause some strange issues. Also on the Gen1 cars if the ground straps go bad it causes all kinds of crazy issues, look around under the hood and check your ground straps to make sure they are in good shape and not torn or corroded through.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you getting any Check Engine Light codes? Go to an autozone if you can and have them pull the codes for you. Not sure if the Gen2 can do blink codes like the Gen1? I would at the least take the 12V out from under the hood and take it someplace like Autozone to have it tested. A bad 12V battery can cause some strange issues. Also on the Gen1 cars if the ground straps go bad it causes all kinds of crazy issues, look around under the hood and check your ground straps to make sure they are in good shape and not torn or corroded through.

Let us know what you find.
Alright so couple of things I have noticed now, the car idles at 1250 Rpms, the obd port is not working somehow :confused: , I got the battery checked and they said its fine. How do I know if my car is gen 1 or gen 2? the ground straps if you mean the wires connected to the body are in good shape, there seems to be no corrosion on them. any other ideas :( ?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
(...) How do I know if my car is gen1 or gen 2?
That's easy. Put 3 people in the back. If they scream and call you a lunatic it is a gen 1. If they sit down and buckle up and look at you for an explanation where you will take them it is a gen 2. As you said 2010 it probably has the rear bench and thus must be a gen 2.:rolleyes:

Welcome, and please do let an expert look at your electrical problems. A 2010 Insight is well worth fixing properly; it will reward you.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Or the Insight's current mileage. The IMA system is under warranty.
Tell us the whole story, like did you buy it new? Used? how many miles on it when acquired?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm guessing it is out of warranty at this point, 3 years/36K covers the car. the 10 yr/100K only covers the IMA battery but nothing else.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
No actually it covers the entire IMA system. It covers anything emissions related. And it's 10/150 in CARB states. (witch I doubt PA is)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thats why I said see a dealer. Too much wrong and too little details for us to try to fix online.

It would help to know the year,new or used,how long youhave owned it, what fuse was blown and if you went to have auto zone or advance auto or somewhere to check your codes and your starter battery.

A bad starter battery will cause the ima system to only regen and not assist. It canalso make your alarm not work to open the doors, but it will go of when you go to crank it.

I really have no idea why the whole fuse block would be blacken. It is black in color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats why I said see a dealer. Too much wrong and too little details for us to try to fix online.

It would help to know the year,new or used,how long you've owned it, what fuse was blown and if you went to have auto zone or advance auto or somewhere to check your codes and your starter battery.

A bad starter battery will cause the ima system to only regen and not assist. It canalso make your alarm not work to open the doors, but it will go of when you go to crank it.

I really have no idea why the whole fuse block would be blacken. It is black in color.
To answer your questions:

1. Its a Honda Insight 2010.

2. bought its used from auction recently

3. I have an OBD reader at home that I tried to connect with the car but somehow the OBD port is not working so I couldn't get any codes for it but in the dash I am getting a check engine light, battery light, IMA notifications on the LCD and thats about it.

4. I went to auto zone to get my battery checked and they said it was fine :confused:.

5. None of my electronics work on there when the key is out. No the alarm doesn't go off when I put my key in and start the car. once the car starts some electronics work such as the windows roll, dash lights come on. Once I turn off the car I have noticed my fuel gauge gets stuck and also my RPM gauge stays stuck where it was once car is turned off instead of going to 0

6. my fuse block is white and its not blackened. the fuses in it are like they were burned or something. but I have 3 fuses burned out and I bought replacements today to see if it fixes anything. I will post an update after I put them in.

7. I dont know what pics you would like to see like you asked.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Did you win the car for a dollar? Something just doesnt seem right here.

Anyhoo, a photo of the fuse box or list of blown fuses is a start..

The IMA system has a switch like a breaker in your home to reset it. You need to remove the spare tire and access the panel on the right side that is held on with 2 10 mm bolts. Under it is a switch with button. Push the button and flip the switch with the key off. If its safe it wont flip when you go to start up. Otherwise you got an electrical problem in the back or IMA system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts