Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 with 103,000 miles on it just changed the CVT fluid used Honda and I haven’t owned it for long but wanted to see if this is normal for other owners,

when I start it up after it’s been sitting for a day or even a few hours as I put it into drive the RPMs will dip to the point that the car shutters and seems like it will stall but then it shoots up to 1500 RPMs and evens back out at 1000 RPMs it only takes about 3-4 seconds from when I put it into drive and it only happens on a cold start I also drive with the ECO mode on usually but when I don’t as I come to a stop if the car doesn’t AUTO STOP I’ll get a slight shudder it doesn’t shudder on acceleration just slightly when idling, any thoughts? Thanks guys and no Check engine light either.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a 2010 with 103,000 miles on it just changed the CVT fluid used Honda and I haven’t owned it for long but wanted to see if this is normal for other owners,

when I start it up after it’s been sitting for a day or even a few hours as I put it into drive the RPMs will dip to the point that the car shutters and seems like it will stall but then it shoots up to 1500 RPMs and evens back out at 1000 RPMs it only takes about 3-4 seconds from when I put it into drive and it only happens on a cold start I also drive with the ECO mode on usually but when I don’t as I come to a stop if the car doesn’t AUTO STOP I’ll get a slight shudder it doesn’t shudder on acceleration just slightly when idling, any thoughts? Thanks guys and no Check engine light either.
No not normal

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Do you still have the can the CVT fluid came in? Not all CVT fluid is fit for our CVT's. not even if Honda made it.
Some have a dope that reduces wear, but also coats the plates of the tiny clutch inside our CVT, making it slip or shudder.
You cannot use CVT fluid destined for clutchless CVTs.

The dip occurs when the clutch slips; the engine tones down the fuel injection to keep the revs in range. When the film on the clutch wears thin it starts gripping. As the engine still gets less fuel than it should it dips deeper than normal.

I highly suspect I got the wrong CVT oil at the 120.000 service interval, as mine had the occasional start dip and sometimes even a 'false neutral' revving up to 3000 without pulling...
At 151.000 I had the CVT fluid changed again and the problem went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you still have the can the CVT fluid came in? Not all CVT fluid is fit for our CVT's. not even if Honda made it.
Some have a dope that reduces wear, but also coats the plates of the tiny clutch inside our CVT, making it slip or shudder.
You cannot use CVT fluid destined for clutchless CVTs.

The dip occurs when the clutch slips; the engine tones down the fuel injection to keep the revs in range. When the film on the clutch wears thin it starts gripping. As the engine still gets less fuel than it should it dips deeper than normal.

I highly suspect I got the wrong CVT oil at the 120.000 service interval, as mine had the occasional start dip and sometimes even a 'false neutral' revving up to 3000 without pulling...
At 151.000 I had the CVT fluid changed again and the problem went away.
Thanks for the info! So I did have the fluid changed twice the first time Honda CVT Fluid WASNT used that’s when I noticed a shutter on acceleration so I had a 2nd fluid change done and with the 2nd change Honda CVT was used now I’m having the symptoms you described with the Honda CVT fluid I may take it into my local Honda dealership to see what they say I bought the vehicle primarily for road trips and if it needs a new starter clutch pack which hopefully they diagnose correctly then that’s fine just want it in top shape.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
As I had the problem for 40.000 km and it went away with the new oil, I guess you would not need a new clutch, just new CVT oil. The dope should not cause much wear; once the clutch does grip it stays that way in my experience.
As changing the CVT fluid is way cheaper than a clutch rebuild it is worth a try anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts