Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i’m a newbie with a rock solid dependable 2010 insight, but you already know how dependable they are.

am i nuts to consider towing a camper trailer, 13’, about 12-1300lbs? even with storing things in the car as i tow? i plan to drive around across country for 3 months.

i’ve read the threads about this and they’re inconclusive. any lived experiences you can share? i have a trustworthy mechanic who is doing deeper research. preliminarily, he says maybe, but only going slowly.

thanks so much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,410 Posts
I'm a Gen1 guy so not an expert on Gen2, but I think I'd read the owner's manual and abide by the towing advice there.

All Gen2 have a CVT automatic transmission. It is my belief (unsudstantiated by documentation) that these transmissions aren't very tolerant of heavy tow loads. The trailer will be even heavier when you fill the fresh water tank and add food and clothing.

Fortunately, you are in the rather flat midwestern terrain, so that helps. I certainly wouldn't try to drive that rig over any mountain passes;)

Later. There are lighter rigs which will at least keep you dry and off the ground. Some of the teardrop designs are lighter than a Scamp and have a bit less aerodynamic drag. Still it is marginal on anything but flat terrain IMO.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I am going to say no. the Insight is not a towing vehicle. Doing so is not just hard on a small underpowered vehicle, but can be quite dangerous. There have been folks around here adding trailer hitches to mount bicycle racks. I think one might be able to get away with a small utility trailer to bring home stuff from Home Depot or haul stuff to the dump. But heading out on the highway with a camper? Ill advised. It is not just about power, but mass. And brakes. And suspension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.