Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When car is cold and the blue temp sign on dashboard is still on, I have noticed that the car hardly moves and will shake when I press gas. But if I leave car to warmup a few mins before I drive, it does not shake.

Is that normal? I do not think the transmission fluid has ever been changed and car has 183000 km.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
When car is cold and the blue temp sign on dashboard is still on, I have noticed that the car hardly moves and will shake when I press gas. But if I leave car to warmup a few mins before I drive, it does not shake.

Is that normal? I do not think the transmission fluid has ever been changed and car has 183000 km.
I think you answered your own question. It should be changed every other oil change. Use only Honda CVT fluid.

Sam

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sam, I had no idea it had to be changed that often.

Is that something that I can easily do myself or is it recommended to bring it in to a mechanic?

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
I've never seen under the hood of a G2, but I think most of the guys here do it themselves.

Sam

·
Registered
943 Posts
Change the fluid ASAP with genuine Honda CVT fluid.

Honda's recommendation varies by territory. In Europe it's every 25,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.

The 'every other oil change' recommendation comes from one of the designers of the transmission, who said in an interview that they saw beneficial effects of fluid changes every 10,000 miles.

Never is obviously too long. These cars can and do experience a deterioration in smoothness if the fluid isn't changed regularly. More worryingly, catastrophic failures of badly maintained Honda CVTs are not unheard of and they are not cheap to replace. With proper maintenance, it seems there is no need to worry about them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I watched a youtube video and found that there is also a Transmission fluid filter that needs to be changed by now as well.

Honda dealer will probably charge so much so maybe best bet is to buy the oil and part from Honda then have a general mechanic do the flush..

Wish the dealer was not as expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Moota

Are you changing the transmission fluid and the trouble is it gone ? I have the same probleme with my insight2010 to 95 000 km !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you changing the transmission fluid and the trouble is it gone ? I have the same probleme with my insight2010 to 95 000 km !
I did not change the transmission fluid and filter yet.
Need to look for a good mechanic to do it and did not have the time.
I will post back when I do to report if it fixed issue or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
after fluid, internal filter and external filter change

I recently did all this stuff hoping that it would stop the bucking when cold and the not wanting to move and then suddenly jerking forward. Well problem is still there after that entire job was done. The inside though was really dirty because original owner rarely changed the fluid and the car had 200k miles on it. I realize that all the doo dads and gizmos (forward clutch, etc) are probably totally dirty and clogged with the belt smutz. I am going to try doing this entire job again to see how dirty everything is and see if I can get an improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Considering how neglectful the previous owner was, you might also try and get the software updates available only at a Honda dealer in the service area. The last one was accompanied by a letter from Honda (see threads here for a copy) so it is possible to get that done for free. Just make sure all of them get applied. One of the first three(before the letter) specifically address CVT jerkiness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts