Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this on dashboard today :(.

I searched online and found that it could be a sign that IMA battery needs to be replaced. I have 181000 km on car presently and I searched for replacement IMA batteries online but most places offer for only first generation Insights.

Any recommendations on where I can get the best and most advanced IMA replacement today and how much it could cost me? Any mods I can do at same time to make car more fuel efficient? In Summer, I reached 52 mpg, which is amazing but does much worse in winter.

I am in Canada and saw online that IMA battery expires after 160000 km so I am passed it :(.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
First, check the condition of the 12 volt battery under the hood. A weak or failing one can cause many weird things to happen with an Insight.
Did you ever have any of the software updates done?
Finally, if IMA replacement ends up being you only fix, see the posts at the bottom of the site from sponsoring vendors. I don't know if Bumblebee ships to Canada, but they could give you some advise or recommend a shop close by.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks egads for the info, really hope it would just be the 12 v under hood battery. I got the car used from an auction this January and have no idea what was done to it before. I did not know there was software updates at all.

I will contact Honda dealer in morning, hope with serial number, they can tell me more info.

I have googled battery packs and emailed bumblebee for more information. It seems not cheap though for a new battery pack, specially with the Canadian dollar being 30% less value than American so hope I do not have to do such replacement yet :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Start by getting the 12 volt battery load tested.
A Honda dealer cannot tell if the software was updated just by entering the VIN. (Although that does show if there are open recalls) one of the updates was a recall, but that mandated by the US EPA or something so it might not have applied in Canada. The way for a dealer to check and apply updates is by connecting the car to the computer in the service area.

·
Registered
622 Posts
dorman makes a cheaper pack i think too and u can pick it up and drop off the core at a local autozone or other car parts place obviating the need for shipping bullshit

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
As G2 packs almost never fail (find a confirmed case in which one did!) they should be cheap to get on the breakers yard.

But first things first.
Measure the voltage on your 12V battery when the engine is not running. As said a bad 12V battery causes a flotilla of nasties.
If it is below 12 Volt, especially when near or below 11, you have found the source of your worries. Replace and prosper.

If not, check all fuses. A bad fuse might cause this.
If it has an aftermarket alarm system, remove that; be sure you restore the original wiring etc.
If you have an OBDII device (like an UltraGauge or ScanGauge) use it to check for codes. If it throws codes you'll know what's up.

Do not worry about the mileage. There are G2's with double that running fine with the original hybrid battery.
The worst enemy of hybrid batteries is heat, not mileage. If the car has spent its life in Canada I cannot see how it could fail.
The G2's 12V batteries fail almost as if it were designed to do so though. When in doubt throw it out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called two local Honda dealers and I am yet to receive a call back concerning the IMA warranty in Canada and if it would cost me anything to bring car for an inspection. I was told that the Insights are rare that they hardly deal with them so they do not have answers and have to check and get back to me. I hardly see any Insights on the road here in Montreal. But when I see, they look like in mint condition, the owners must love their Insights.

In the meantime, what is strange is that the "check engine" orange light which stayed on dashboard since the "verify IMA" first appeared, I was filling up gas this weekend and when I turned car back on, it is no longer there. It just disappeared all of a sudden.

Will call back Honda dealer tomorrow for follow up.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I called two local Honda dealers and I am yet to receive a call back concerning the IMA warranty in Canada and if it would cost me anything to bring car for an inspection. I was told that the Insights are rare that they hardly deal with them so they do not have answers and have to check and get back to me. I hardly see any Insights on the road here in Montreal. But when I see, they look like in mint condition, the owners must love their Insights.

In the meantime, what is strange is that the "check engine" orange light which stayed on dashboard since the "verify IMA" first appeared, I was filling up gas this weekend and when I turned car back on, it is no longer there. It just disappeared all of a sudden.

Will call back Honda dealer tomorrow for follow up.
The light behavior you describe is typical of an issue right at the threshold of detection. You might also have a 12V issue per RedDebil's comments.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The light behavior you describe is typical of an issue right at the threshold of detection. You might also have a 12V issue per RedDebil's comments.
Not sure I understand what that means, does it mean that there is something wrong for sure?

I called Honda dealer again and they will not tell me any warranty details. They ask that I bring car in and based on readings of computer, maybe warranty and maybe not and I pay $170 just for the readings......

Called Honda Canada and they asked for copy of registration to email to them so that they can be able to assist me further.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
It means your 12V battery is bad and is causing issues with the IMA or your IMA battery is right at the threshold of failure.

I regard both as "something wrong for sure." It's one battery or both.

DO NOT disconnect your 12V without getting it checked at the dealership. If you pay for diagnostics, make sure they give you the "IMA battery capacity" value in printout form. It's proof the battery is deteriorated.

To get an idea of your 12V battery health, let the car sit overnight, open it with the key, pop the hood open and check the 12V battery at the terminals. Above 12.6V is great, above 12.3V is good, below 12.3V is a concern. Also, check it with ignition on (not running). Voltage should be in the high 11s. If you confirm your 12V is good, you have an IMA battery problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great info, thanks, I should have a multimeter device somewhere in the house, will look for it and looking forward to seeing the 12v battery results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
battery module deterioration

I'm in a similar boat. I just bought a 2002 Insight with 70,000 miles. The previous owner said he just reconditioned the batteries. But the check engine light and IMA light came on the second day driving it. I took it in to the dealer and they pulled the IMA code p1447 battery module deterioration .5. Can anyone tell me how low .5 is for battery life? It doesn't sound promising.
When the lights come on, I unplug the 12 V battery for 10 seconds or so, then plug it back in. This seems to reset it but only temporarily. The lights come back on within 75 miles.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Neither of you have reported on the condition of the 12 volt battery under the hood. Having a weak one causes all kinds of red herrings. Always start there!!!

Also do report (or put in your profile so it shows up next tour username) your location. It matters. At lot. The IMA has different warranties depending on what state it was originally sold.

Also, we have had a couple of users come on here and leave out key information. Like their Insight having a salvage title. That will definitely effect your warranty. In one case it meant that the IMA control electronics were trashed and the battery pack was fine. Only figured that out after spending big bucks on a battery pack from Bumblebee.

But really, trust us on that 12 lot battery. The one from the factory is crappy to begin with and does not last very long. But it does run the electronics that control the IMA system.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I just bought a 2002 Insight with 70,000 miles. The previous owner said he just reconditioned the batteries. But the check engine light and IMA light came on the second day driving it. I took it in to the dealer and they pulled the IMA code p1447 battery module deterioration .5. Can anyone tell me how low .5 is for battery life? It doesn't sound promising.
When the lights come on, I unplug the 12 V battery for 10 seconds or so, then plug it back in. This seems to reset it but only temporarily. The lights come back on within 75 miles.
Ignore my previous rant (except the part about putting your location in your profile) you have a 2002 Insight. Unless you mistyped and it is really a 2012, you need to ask these questions in the 1st generation section above. This is the 2nd generation area. Our insights have 4 doors and started in 2010.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Per egads, you're in the wrong forum, and I'm pretty sure P1447 is unique to G1.

You most likely have a bad battery. The previous owner likely did a poor job of "reconditioning" the battery. Many just cycle sticks and put them back in while failing to test adequately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts