Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there was a weird and loud noise coming from the drive belt area and finally brought the car to an inspection this morning. The mechanic took the belt off and the noise was still there. He turned on the AC and the noise went lower but you can still hear a weird noise.

So he concluded that the belt was fine and that the problem was coming from the water pump (it is the bottom pulley with a rubber hose sticking out of it). But not sure if this is the same as the AC compressor/pump or if it is different? I told him that I never use AC so he said that I have the following options below and that he would contact me back with estimates:

1- Replace the water pump with a brand new genuine Honda part but he warned this might be expensive
2- Replace water pump with a used or refurbished part
3- Replace water pump with a new after market part
4- Replace driving belt with a shorter one that does not go around the water pump pulley. This way, the AC wont work but the sound will go away and it is a cheap solution as long as I do not care about the AC.
5- Take apart the water pump and replace the bearing inside that is causing the noise but he warned this might be not much cheaper than changing the whole part and that this option will not guarantee fixing the problem.

So am I mixing things up and confusing the water pump with the AC pump or are they two different parts? And which option would you guys recommend?

I have 228000 km or about 140000 miles on the car and do not know if this is normal for AC part to stop working like this.

He said that if I keep running car as is, I risk breaking the driving belt and breaking more things. The sound is loud but I can live with, no problem. I just definitely do not want to cause more issues to the car.

And although he said the belt was fine, should I change anyways since he would have to take it off again anyways or would it be a waste of money? And not sure if genuine Honda parts would be worth the price difference compared to after market ones?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Moot

·
Registered
27 Posts
Option 1.. the water pumps go for around $200 and i would put a new surpintine belt.then itl last another 100k or more

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts