Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done quite a bit of searching (I love the new look and features of the forums) but haven't found any threads with previous experience replacing the radiator on a 2nd gen car. The manuals are there for me, which I appreciate, but I've found that firsthand accounts of stuff like this can be very useful.
The daughter got up close and personal with a tow hitch on a bro-truck the other day, bending up the radiator core support, taking out the grill, and putting two small holes in the radiator. The car is very repairable, everything but one of the mounting points for the upper core support is bolt-on, and that is just minimally bent.

My question is around the CVT fluid lines at the radiator. Is it as simple as it looks, just pop them off and cap them? My only concern is around the loss of some fluid, and then getting the level correct again in the CVT. I'm pretty good at wrenching, but also tend to look before leaping to avoid making a simple project a very big one.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You could just clamp the hoses before disconnecting. Or try to plug them with a bolt & a clamp? If possible, try to collect the fluid in the cooler part just to know how much to replace. I wouldn't reuse it. Use real Honda CVT fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's definitely the plan, the new radiator will come with caps over the new barbs, I'll use them to cap the old radiator ports and I have rubber plugs for the hoses. While it doesn't appear to be a big deal, when it's the first time messing with the CVT, I'm not hesitant to check :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You do not disclose the Insight's current miles, but changing that fluid should be on your list.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just about to turn over 175K, and it does occasionally do some wonky slip-like things when reversing uphill...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
Ever done a trans. fluid change.? If not, go for that also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After replacing the three pieces of bumper covers, both headlight assemblies, radiator, core support, CVT fluid, oil, plugs air filter, cabin air filter, hood, windshield (paid someone to do that), one tire, and about a thousand plastic fasteners, the old insight is running great again. Replacing the CVT fluid was solid advice, it made a difference in drivability

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
Are you saying that you installed a 2nd gen CRV radiator in your Gen 2 Insight. The link you posted makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Spam makes sense to the spammer, to the rest of us, it's best to ignore. Unless you are a moderator, then deletion is an option..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts