Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I recently got my 2011 Insight, about a week ago. I keep reading people on the forum getting averages of 60-70MPG and even some at 80+MPG?! even when i drive really slow and stay green i can't get it close to what you all are getting. can anyone give me any tips why i'm having such a hard time staying over 50MPG? :mad:

any help is apprectiated. this is my first post. THANKS!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
You must be reading the I1 forum. The I2 is not capable of 70 mpg in its stock form. Once in all highway driving and being very careful, I got 60 mpg cruising at about 60 mph. But that was very rare. Expect more like 50 mph on the highway, and 35-40 mpg in stop and go driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooohhhhh... yeah, maybe i was reading the I1 forum. glad to hear i'm not doing anything wrong. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
623 Posts
you will also get lower mpg's for the first few thousand miles (and factory oil) ... once you hit about 5k or so and get that first oil change you will get higher mpg ... driver habits also are a factor and once you are more "trained" via honda's eco-interface you will realize more mpg's too

·
Registered
15 Posts
What does the first oil change have to do with increasing your MPG? Isn't the factory fill the same weight oil, 0W-20, as you would be refilling the crankcase with? Is it because the new oil has more thinner fractions than the factory fill that dissapates over time?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,545 Posts
More than likely certain chemicals are added to the original factory oil to aid in breaking in. It has been stated numerious times that Honda engines take app. 4K-5K miles to "properly" break in. Wt. of oil has nothing to do with it.

Willie

·
Registered
623 Posts
my evidence on this point is admittedly anecdotal but how would one explain the immediate 2-3mpg bump directly after my first oil change ???

·
Registered
382 Posts
my evidence on this point is admittedly anecdotal but how would one explain the immediate 2-3mpg bump directly after my first oil change ???
Could be because they re-adjusdted the tire pressure. There is a significant mpg loss (probably more than 2-3 mpg) driving with low air pressured tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too could only muster MPG in the high forties at first. Around 5K miles, I achieved 50 MPG and now I am consistently getting 51+.

BTW, I just reached 15% oil life at 9350 miles. Got it changed last week and hoping my mileage increases even more.

·
7,259 Posts
Hi Guys I recently got my 2011 Insight, about a week ago. I keep reading people on the forum getting averages of 60-70MPG and even some at 80+MPG?! even when i drive really slow and stay green i can't get it close to what you all are getting. can anyone give me any tips why i'm having such a hard time staying over 50MPG? :mad:

any help is apprectiated. this is my first post. THANKS!!
LOL, you must be looking at the first generation forum. You aren't going to be getting 70-80MPG in a 2nd generation Insight.

MPG bump after removing the factory fill is due to friction modifiers. Break-in oil has none.

And oh boy, I wouldn't trust an oil life monitor with my engine. There are just way, way too many variables - a significant one being the oil itself. The only way to be sure if your oil is properly lubricating your specific engine with your specific driving conditions, your specific environmental conditions and your specific driving habits is to have it analyzed. Anything else is just a guess. That's where conservative oil change mileage numbers originated. It's much better to change your oil long before the end of it's life than it is to drive even a few miles on depleted oil.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I too have noticed after just an oil change a slight 1-3 mpg gain. Either its the oil gets too dirty for the parts to move smoothly, the filter becomes clogged so the oil bypasses it causing higher oil pressure or I replace a busted clip that helps the area cause part of the belly pan was acting as a sail?

My late father said the oil change light is like the stupid upshift indicator. We will find out its not the best indicator to change oil and I should still to the 5 thousand mile changes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw a noticable upward bump in gas mileage around 12k to14k miles on the odometer.
I feel the oil minder changes the oil a bit to soon but as it is a very thin oil I'm ok with it. My last oil change came due just over 9k of use.
On my other vehicles I change Mobil 1 before 15k on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My mileage isn't the best

At a little over 12k miles, the best I've gotten would be three tanks at 45 mpg. My average is only 42. I'd like to do better, but I can live with this. Hills and traffic aren't helping, but I'm using only 40% of the gas that I had over the previous nine years. It adds up since I've averaged about 2,000 miles per month for a long time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts