Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work when my car had started chugging. As if someone was moving it side to side. A light, I assumed was the check engine light, came on. After the tow home I looked it up and it was the malfunction light that was flashing.

We looked into the air filter as maybe it wasnt set right. We cleaned it out and after dinner put it back in. Car is still chugging and ended up dying going around the block.

Two new systems came up since we last checked it. "Check Emission System" and "Check VSA System". We assume the fuel filter might be the problem but we're not certain

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
These systems are unrelated, but both can be caused by malfunctioning sensors.
The chugging would be caused by the VSA/ABS system (falsely) sensing one of the wheels is not turning, trying to compensate by applying the brakes on the other wheels.
Inspect your engine bay for signs of rodent damage. Check all cables...

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Load test your 12v battery. The G2 is similar to the G1 in a lot of electrical problems, if the 12V is going BAD.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Would the car really shake so much with just the starting battery dying?

Edit: would it also make the car say the emission and vga systems are acting up?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I will also say that anything weird happening to an Insight could be the under hood 12 volt battery. Oddly, it is because it is rarely used that makes it die.
In this case, has it ever been replaced? If not you are overdue.

And please folks, when posting about problems with a vehicle on any message board, the current miles and any previous repairs are essential information. Many Recent posts have left out this out. (Click & Clack would also have wanted to know what color it was)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops sorry it has about 80 thousand miles on it and it's charcoal Gray. I bought it used from a used car dealer. It had one previous owner. It did get into an accident. From the driver side front door bumper and up. It was mostly cosmetic as far as it looked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update as of 8/3/16

We took the battery in to find out it was dying. However when we replaced the battery the car is still 'chugging'.

Putting the car in park/drive and pressing down on the fuel pedal doesnt even make the engine move.

Our Code Reader isnt working as the check engine light never came on. Only the malfunction light.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
As your car has been in an accident there is a chance that the wiring to the ABS sensor has been damaged, if not the sensor itself.
Maybe you can take the wheel off and inspect the suspension, cables and brake hose for signs of damage. Clean them properly. A crack in the insulation may grip the fibers of the rag you clean it with and reveal itself.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Where in the world are you? Is this a US Insight?

Have you had issues with oil consumption? What is the engine oil level? Can you remove a spark plug to check its condition?

When you switched bateries did you wait 15 minutes and when you restarted the car let it idle for 15 minutes to readjust?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I've been incommunicado. Work and vacation got in the way.

Yes its' a US Insight, no on the oil problems. The spark plugs were surprisingly dirty but we replaced them.

Yes we waited when we swapped batteries.

As of this moment we got a new engine code reader and have found the engine is misfiring due to some electrical problem.

We've been checking the Ignition coils and the sensor for that and they are all testing well. Would anyone know what the resistance of the ignition coils are supposed to be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll definitely look at the wiring today. I'm hoping that's worst case scenario.
Having the almost same problem where the car check emmission system, VSA system and brake system indicator all light up and step on fuel pedal doesn't move the car.

Anyone know what wrong with that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Addrick
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing