Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post and ive only had this car for 3 days. The check engine light came on so i ran the code reader and it gave me a p1448 battery overheating message. Shortly after the IMA warning light came on. I did some googling and it said this issue is usually caused by the fan malfunctioning and all 3 temperature sensors are going off at the same time. So my question is can i flip that big switch on the IMA battery in my trunk to off to protect my battery till i can trouble shoot the fan? Will it drain my 12 volt if i do this? Also, will a overheating battery trigger the IMA light?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The battery should be isolated by the computer at this point. It will also cause your IMA light to come on.

To manage the temperature of the motor power inverter (MPI) module, the DC-DC converter, and the battery module, the integrated motor assist (IMA) system is equipped with an intelligent power unit (IPU) module fan. When a malfunction occurs in the IPU module fan, the motor assist is unable to regenerate and the IMA system is shut down because the module temperature increases. A malfunction in the IPU module fan is detected to avoid problems caused by overheating. If the IPU module fan is functioning normally, when the MCM operates the IPU module fan, it should be operated within a specified speed range. The MCM compares the actual IPU module fan speed to the IPU module fan duty cycle, and if the actual speed does not reach a specified value, the MCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC.

To test the system:

Reset the MCM. (Disconnect the 12 V battery terminal once and reconnect it.)
Start the engine, and hold the engine speed to between 3,500 - 4,000 rpm (in P or N).
Confirm that the air is flowing from the IPU module fan duct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me Ta2dResqr, i disconnected the 12 volt, reconnected it then ran it at 3500rpms and listened for the fan to kick in. I didn't hear anything. Is the fan really quiet? Do i need to expose it? As in pull the plastic cover off to hear it better?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me Ta2dResqr, i disconnected the 12 volt, reconnected it then ran it at 3500rpms and listened for the fan to kick in. I didn't hear anything. Is the fan really quiet? Do i need to expose it? As in pull the plastic cover off to hear it better?
Check DTC in the Service Manual page 12-137. (http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/61922-download-2010-2011-insight-service-electrical-troubleshooting-manuals-pdf.html)
You can hear the fan at idle in P mode transmission when you increase the revs to 2500 revs/min, the motor will begin to charge the battery (charge mode). Clear DTC and do charge mode, if DTC p1448 appears again, the reason for a faulty fan.
Exploitation of hybrid with a faulty fan can cause damage to the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts