Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 base Insight at around 84k miles and have put 300 miles on it. I made another thread about acceleration issues but here are a few other issues I've noticed:

- My front suspension creaks lightly when going over bumps. Is this normal for the Insight?

- My exterior lights seem to have a mind of their own. On day of purchase, I didn't notice any bulbs out. After purchase, random lights started to go out on some days but work on other days. Is that normal? I mean, is it possible for halogen bulbs to go out but work occasionally? This has happened with a few of the small 5W bulbs (side marker, license plate light) as well as the 55W halogen in the low-beam. I replaced the 55W low-beam halogen after checking that the filament was indeed burnt out. However, some of my 5W bulbs, such as one of my license plate lights, still come on once in a while.

- There is occasional rubbing vibration from wheel (not sure if it's multiple wheels) when driving. What do I need? First-time car owner here. Brake adjustment? Wheel alignment? Tire rotation?

I will note that the previous owner did not really drive the car for about half a year.

Also, does anyone know if Maintenance Minder will tell me that I need CVT fluid change?

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
G2 Insights are very sensitive about two things. 12V battery condition and CVT fluid.

1. Have your 12V battery Load Tested at someplace like AutoZone. Replace it if it shows the slightest sign of weakness.

2. Conventional wisdom is to replace the CVT fluid every other oil change. So every 15-20,000 miles. Unless you have receipts stating otherwise, there is a chance yours has never been changed, so it is way behind. Change it right away and probably again at your next oil change. As far as I know, this is not covered on the Maintenance Minder. Use only Honda CVT fluid. This is very important.

Sam

·
Registered
943 Posts
Regarding creaking of suspension when going over bumps - my car had a similar issue. I complained about it when the car was still under warranty. The dealer (getting the idea from a TSB they'd seen for the Civic) cleaned out around some subframe bolts (sorry I don't know more detail). That was about 3-4 years ago and it's been far quieter since then.

As for random bulb behaviour - do you have a trim level with automated lights? May seem daft but best to check. It confused me when I first drove a car with automated lights and wipers and I thought there was something wrong.

As for the maintenance minder - it depends what country the car was initially sold in and whether the original owner had the servicing computer initialised.

For example - in europe the service computer counts down in distance (miles or KM) or days to the next service item. In the USA, it shows an oil life percentage. The service code items are different in different countries too.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Which is why it is important for you to put your location in your profile. Insights were sold all over the world and packaged differently depending. Also, warranty varies as well. (Even in the US, the warranty varies by the state it was first sold in).
In the US, the maintenance minder will set the code for CVT fluid change after the third oil change or about 30,000 miles. It is the general consensus around here (based on the CVT designers opinion) that every 18,000 miles is appropriate. i.e. Every other oil change.

Do take your Insight to an actual Honda dealer and ask them to connect it to the Honda computer in the service area. There are software updates available for all 2010 and some 2011 Insights that effect several things: how the autostop works, how the IMA regulates it's usage and how the CVT operates. It will be worth it to have them if they where not done at the factory (late model year build) or by the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Oh, another thing, because the previous owner let it sit, it may take a while for it to recover. Rechargeable batteries need to be exercised. That applies to the Insight and a cordless drill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, another thing, because the previous owner let it sit, it may take a while for it to recover. Rechargeable batteries need to be exercised. That applies to the Insight and a cordless drill.
So far, I'm getting 42-43 MPG average, so I'm happy. The only discrepancy is that while the IMA needle sometimes goes all the way to Charge (under heavy braking), it doesn't go more than halfway up to Assist even under heavy acceleration. Is this the same for you all?

Which is why it is important for you to put your location in your profile. Insights were sold all over the world and packaged differently depending. Also, warranty varies as well. (Even in the US, the warranty varies by the state it was first sold in).
In the US, the maintenance minder will set the code for CVT fluid change after the third oil change or about 30,000 miles. It is the general consensus around here (based on the CVT designers opinion) that every 18,000 miles is appropriate. i.e. Every other oil change.

Do take your Insight to an actual Honda dealer and ask them to connect it to the Honda computer in the service area. There are software updates available for all 2010 and some 2011 Insights that effect several things: how the autostop works, how the IMA regulates it's usage and how the CVT operates. It will be worth it to have them if they where not done at the factory (late model year build) or by the previous owner.
Hello, also from SoCal here!

I called a Honda dealer in the area after I bought the car to check if there were any outstanding recalls, and they said the vehicle already had them done. If I go and ask them about these issues I've found, how much would they charge me for diagnosis?

As for random bulb behaviour - do you have a trim level with automated lights? May seem daft but best to check. It confused me when I first drove a car with automated lights and wipers and I thought there was something wrong.
No, I don't, I have the base trim. For example, there are two license plate lights in the rear, right? The left one is out (I see it's out every time I lock and unlock the car from the outside), but on occasion the left light works while I'm locking or unlocking the car. That, to me, is a complete mystery. I have an aftermarket "KARR" alarm system that the dealer apparently installed, and I'm curious if that messed up the wiring somehow.

G2 Insights are very sensitive about two things. 12V battery condition and CVT fluid.

1. Have your 12V battery Load Tested at someplace like AutoZone. Replace it if it shows the slightest sign of weakness.

2. Conventional wisdom is to replace the CVT fluid every other oil change. So every 15-20,000 miles. Unless you have receipts stating otherwise, there is a chance yours has never been changed, so it is way behind. Change it right away and probably again at your next oil change. As far as I know, this is not covered on the Maintenance Minder. Use only Honda CVT fluid. This is very important.

Sam
Thanks, I'll check those things. Is there a place to get cheap Honda CVT fluid myself if I want to do it at home?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I just want to say that the service writer, looking up the VIN in his (her) computer will only show recalls and if they are done. The software updates were not recalls, and can only be vetted by actually plugging in the Insight in the service area. Without the letter from Honda that some of us got in hand, I imagine they will want an hour of tech time. That varies but will probably be between $90.-120. (Actual recalls for our Insights effected the airbags) if you ever need to have something done at a dealer, just ask the service writer to write a note to the tech to please connect to the service computer.

I am willing to bet some of your electrical problems are from the aftermarket alarm. Sometimes those installers are butchers. It would be nice to have it completely removed and all the original wiring restored. (Who's gonna steal an Insight?) but that may not be something you can afford to do right now.

As far as CVT fluid is concerned, call a bunch of dealer parts departments and ask how much. Compare that with buying it online with the shipping. Do obtain a fresh crush washer for the drain bolt. They are like $.90 or $1.25. It is a different size from the one for the oil plug. I don't do that myself, but it is apparently easy, just don't get too freaked out reading CVT trans maintenance threads around here. Some folks are quite obsessive, you don't need to replace every filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to say that the service writer, looking up the VIN in his (her) computer will only show recalls and if they are done. The software updates were not recalls, and can only be vetted by actually plugging in the Insight in the service area. Without the letter from Honda that some of us got in hand, I imagine they will want an hour of tech time. That varies but will probably be between $90.-120. (Actual recalls for our Insights effected the airbags) if you ever need to have something done at a dealer, just ask the service writer to write a note to the tech to please connect to the service computer.

I am willing to bet some of your electrical problems are from the aftermarket alarm. Sometimes those installers are butchers. It would be nice to have it completely removed and all the original wiring restored. (Who's gonna steal an Insight?) but that may not be something you can afford to do right now.

As far as CVT fluid is concerned, call a bunch of dealer parts departments and ask how much. Compare that with buying it online with the shipping. Do obtain a fresh crush washer for the drain bolt. They are like $.90 or $1.25. It is a different size from the one for the oil plug. I don't do that myself, but it is apparently easy, just don't get too freaked out reading CVT trans maintenance threads around here. Some folks are quite obsessive, you don't need to replace every filter.
Seeing that my base Insight doesn't have any security system, I actually don't mind the aftermarket security (even though it's crappy and difficult to understand).

I'm somewhat hesitant to update my ECU because the Insight (other than the acceleration shuddering) drives perfect. Amazing on the highway and stop-and-go traffic. No complaints.

Thanks for the other pointers.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If it was built later in the year (build date is on the door pillar sticker) it may have had the initial three updates. There was a forth that some of us got a letter about. I can't remember if the 2011 models got that letter. Unlike the updates the Civic hybrids got that pissed off so many owners, around here we have all been very happy with the ones we got. Do read the threads about them.

I f-ing hate car alarms. Everyone ignores them anyway. I am old enough to remember when quality of life was important. Now everyone has a booming
Audio system, blaring alarms and piercing led security flood lights shining in my eyes. America has gone from good day to f-you. Sad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
egads
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing