Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the car has 85k miles on it and suddenly the car lost power and idle became extremely rough, losing power. Got misfire codes pulled. The car will start from a cold with hardly any issues but after one minute the car loses power again.

Pulled plugs and found cylinder #2 was wet. So I replaced all the plugs and ordered two new ignition coils but the problem persists. Seems actually worse now.... Help!!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Possibly a map sensor problem? Does it continue to give misfire codes?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You need to do a compression test. It maybe that damn oil consumption rearing its ugly head. Was the plug black, oily or just gassy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was this problem ever resolved? I am having pretty much identical issues with a 2013.

The car lost power while driving on the interstate (!!!) and engine runs super rough. Lots of scary info messages such as "check emission system" "check brake system" "check vsa system" and "check hill start assist system".
Much to my frustration, I found the car was very low on oil. Had to put in ~1.5 qts to bring it back to safe area... I have done the oil changes for the 2 years we have had the car, and to my knowledge hasn't consumed much oil between changes...until now apparently.

Pulled plugs and the ones on cylinder 2 were really really bad and cyl 3 not so horrible but not great either. I replaced spark plugs, and got access to a code reader (my cheap one doesn't seem to work..) and the codes are p0300, 0302, & 0303. Which is understandable considering the shape those plugs were in. Another observation: There is some lovely black sooty crud that appears to have come out of my exhaust lately. Do I run the risk of breaking exhaust stuff like c02 sensors, catalytic, etc? Have I already broken something else? Ooof.

Let me know if you all have any suggestions, or OP what your prognosis was.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Was this problem ever resolved? I am having pretty much identical issues with a 2013.

The car lost power while driving on the interstate (!!!) and engine runs super rough. Lots of scary info messages such as "check emission system" "check brake system" "check vsa system" and "check hill start assist system".
Much to my frustration, I found the car was very low on oil. Had to put in ~1.5 qts to bring it back to safe area... I have done the oil changes for the 2 years we have had the car, and to my knowledge hasn't consumed much oil between changes...until now apparently.

Pulled plugs and the ones on cylinder 2 were really really bad and cyl 3 not so horrible but not great either. I replaced spark plugs, and got access to a code reader (my cheap one doesn't seem to work..) and the codes are p0300, 0302, & 0303. Which is understandable considering the shape those plugs were in. Another observation: There is some lovely black sooty crud that appears to have come out of my exhaust lately. Do I run the risk of breaking exhaust stuff like c02 sensors, catalytic, etc? Have I already broken something else? Ooof.

Let me know if you all have any suggestions, or OP what your prognosis was.

Thanks
There is a service bulletin on your model year Insight. The dealer will tear the engine down and replace the piston rings. I hope you saved the fouled plugs. We have several threads around here about this. Here is a link to the TSB:

https://honda.oemdtc.com/TSB/A16-101.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the link egads. I did not know Honda had extended their coverage for this. I do still have the plugs, posting them here just because.. I have definitely read a lot of stories on this issue on this forum, but it sounded like people got mixed results from dealers whether they would fix or not. This eases my mind greatly. Time to call up the dealer :)

edit: picture doesn't seem to work. oh well. you get the idea, a shredded spark plug

·
Registered
10 Posts
UPDATE: the dealer called me back with grim news. Says a new motor is needed and Honda won't cover any cost because I changed spark plugs. Quoted $3300 for a used engine with 81k on it. Yeah. ok. New engine quoted >$8000.

Guess who's going to cause a scene this afternoon at the dealer?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I thought others in my situation down the road may find this info useful.

Feel free to give any advice on my best options. I.e., legal recourse.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Causing a scene at the dealer wont accomplish anything as corporate honda makes the ultimate decision to pay up ... they can however be a good advocate for you ... it all depends if pressure or cajoling will work on them ... you could also try getting a lawyer to draft a strong letter on official letterhead to corporate honda offices ... include all service documentation, when the problem began, when you changed the plugs and why, pictures of the plugs would help too, some print outs of insight central threads re the oil consumption issue, etc ... best

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Henmill:
If you can't get a satisfactory reply at the dealer, contact corporation headquarters.

Willie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the replies, and for keeping me in check on the dealer vs mfg. I'm just fired up right now. I take good care of my cars, and this was purchased without a warranty at 40k miles 2 years ago. So why wouldn't I try something as simple as checking spark plugs and replacing them? Anyone with half a brain does not take their car to the dealer for service unless it is under warranty. I wish I could go back in time and not spend the $90 on spark plugs but come on.

The service manager is not in today, but I may go speak with them tomorrow. In the meantime, I may try to get a hold of Honda corporate.

Thanks again for y'all's help.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Im curious about the reasoning behind their refusal to pick up the tab based on the plugs being changed ... does it in fact say in the tsb or piston ring extended warranty that an individual changing plugs voids hondas responsibility? Alot of that stuff is moot due to the magnusson moss act, i believe

·
Registered
10 Posts
It was a phone conversation, and the service clerk (it was not a tech) said something along the lines of, "they won't cover this because you've been in there". Very vague. He made me believe yesterday when I dropped it off that he'd be an advocate for me, but I guess the service manager is the only one who has any pull with Honda. I don't know who talked to Honda or what they said to them. Below is text from the service bulletin A16-101 that user egads linked in a previous post on this thread:

BACKGROUND
The oil control rings may become clogged with carbon deposits. These deposits restrict the ability to scrape and return oil from the cylinder walls to the crankcase, which can result in misfires, engine cylinder damage, engine cylinder head damage, and/or engine oil consumption that may exceed customer expectations.

To increase customer confidence, American Honda is extending the warranty on the engine related to engine oil consumption to 8 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.

The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state’s law.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign.
Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
If the customer complains of oil consumption, do the oil consumption test. If the test shows excessive consumption, then disassemble and inspect the engine. In most cases, you will need to replace the pistons, piston pins, rings and spark plugs.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thats bullsh*t! Plugs are like an oil change - just normal maintenance. "You've been in there", to me, means taking a head off, changing a cam or doing something to the bottom end. Plus, they could probably easily confirm that the plugs were seated correctly and they werent overtorqued. Ask to see the plugs. Take pics. Tell the dealer youre assembling a file for corporate. That might make them get back in your corner. The dealers hate when theyre on corporates radar screen for less than a good reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree!!! My blood was boiling this morning after I heard that voicemail. (I get bad cell signal at work so missed the call)

I'm building my case now, and have arranged a meeting with the Service Manager in the morning at 8:30. Bringing receipts of parts I bought showing dates. I've even printed this thread to show when I first asked, which also happens to have a summary of the events. Only hurdle left is I need proof from insurance when we called for the original tow. They were closed when I thought to call them tonight, so trying first thing in the morning.

Thank you so much for the guidance with working with the dealer, 'cause I was about to ring this guy's neck when he couldn't really do much.

I'm feeling good about my chances tomorrow, y'all keep me in your prayers lol

·
Super Moderator
4,800 Posts
Also bring the old plugs that you removed.

Sam

·
Registered
10 Posts
I brought them with the car when I dropped it off originally. I even numbered the ones that came from the misfiring cylinders. I thought that would be evidence enough for the technicians...

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Pictures and documentation are your friend. Hard to dispute.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I am so sorry that I did not stress that you should put the old plugs back in before presenting at the dealer.
And guess what? Going to a dealer with a car this high tech is not crazy at all. You have a computer that happens to have an internal combustion engine attached to to. Those of us with earlier model years had software updates that could only be done at the dealer. A hybrid car presents a unique set of circumstances. It mainly appeals to the most frugal, but it is the worst candidate for only dyi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah. I wish I had played dumb and reassembled with old spark plugs. This is the newest vehicle I've ever owned so I'm learning valuable lessons with this situation.

I visited with the service manager this morning. He was nice enough and says he'll do whatever he can to make the case to Honda to fix the motor. He said they will likely want service records. The only service that has been done is regular oil changes by myself, and I think I can pretty easily prove I have been doing them within normal timeframes with written records and some receipts for oil & filters from autozone.

I think I have something on them in that we never received notification of the warranty extension for this issue. If they can prove they sent it, they will have to prove that it made it to the right address, because I have no recollection of such a notice. If I had, I would have been paying much closer attention to oil consumption. I always check the level before and after changes, but not much in between because I didn't expect it to be an issue. Only once did I check it and notice it was on the low side of safe. This was when I let the mileage get close to 10k on a change (Mobil One full syn), and just figured that the oil was starting to break down and burned off a bit. But still didn't think much of it.

I've opened a case with Honda of America. They verified the car has the extended warranty for oil consumption (duh) and so far have just asked to see the diagnostic report from the dealer. Said I should hear from the case manager in a couple of business days, so we'll see what happens I guess!

Once again, thanks for everyone's input. This is a great forum!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts