Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Anyone have the exact specs for the headlights. Was gonna bump them up a bit if a decent bulb swap is available. Was mainly looking to keep the same color and just boost wattage or go LED.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You need H11 lamps for the low beams.

I'd be careful putting anything over 55 Watt in, as the extra heat may cause trouble.
HIDs are the easy solution, a set of 35 Watt HIDs can be had in any color (around 3400K is about the same color as halogen, just at 3 times the brightness).
Cheap LEDs often fail prematurely, and the better ones have bulky fans or cooling grids on the back which may take too much space and make fitting them a hassle.

China sells cheap HIDs for ridiculously low prices, but they often don't have proper H11 plugs just metal prongs that you can shove into the H11 connector. If that bothers you you may get a set with proper connectors or buy and mount the connectors yourself.
Shipping is usually free but may take a month.
Have a set of spare lamps; they are cheap and shipping takes long. One of mine failed after 500 hours of use, but its replacements have thousands of hours on them with no trouble whatsoever.

HIDs are no good for the (9006) high beams as HIDs take time to get to full strength. No such thing as flashing oncoming traffic for attention.

·
Registered
75 Posts
buy hid trust dont wana explain but it has a longer distance of light vs led. led just looks bright up close but is poor far away

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thanks!

Guess its time to research Halogen vs LED as in Hawaii I cant use HID unless they are stock on vehicle.

Appreciate the "Insight!" Pun intended.....:D

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Compared to HID's in what I was driving to work, the stock Insight lamps are puny. I have a 48 miles commute that is a virtual gauntlet of wildlife to avoid. I leave for work at 4am and bright lights are important. I drove my daughter's new 18' Prius eco last night with LED's and it lit the highway very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts