Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Insight EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. So recently I noticed the air from the vents will only blow down on my feet and maybe slightly on the windshield. When I press the different mode to change where the air is blowing, the display changes and shows it should be blowing in a different area, but the air remains only blowing at my feet. I have searched a lot and think it's the air mode control motor is bad (or maybe possibly a fuse, but I can't find what fuse that would be). Everything else about the HVAC works, ie, temp control, blower speed, etc. Any thoughts? And if it is the mode control motor, where is it located??? I'd assume behind the glove box, or down around the center console. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2011 Insight LX
46 Posts
Here's a general diagram of the system, as looking at it from the driver seat. Looks like you can get to the air mix control motor behind the glovebox.
Organism Font Line Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a general diagram of the system, as looking at it from the driver seat. Looks like you can get to the air mix control motor behind the glovebox.
View attachment 95276
I am running into the same issue. Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought it is the mode control motor because it is the motor that controls the direction instead of the air mic control motor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. So recently I noticed the air from the vents will only blow down on my feet and maybe slightly on the windshield. When I press the different mode to change where the air is blowing, the display changes and shows it should be blowing in a different area, but the air remains only blowing at my feet. I have searched a lot and think it's the air mode control motor is bad (or maybe possibly a fuse, but I can't find what fuse that would be). Everything else about the HVAC works, ie, temp control, blower speed, etc. Any thoughts? And if it is the mode control motor, where is it located??? I'd assume behind the glove box, or down around the center console. Thanks for the advice!
I am having the same issue. My vent is stuck at body direction. Did you solve the issue? And how did you solve it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Mode Control Motor should be the item controlling air to floor or vent. If you remove the glove compartment and you change the setting from Vent to Floor, this motor should a mechanical arm. If you access the motor, you might be able to move the position of the arm to change it manually (to prove this is the part to change).
Typical failing HVAC control motors, you may hear a rattle or repeated gear trying to engage. Some even describe it like a mouse running.

·
Registered
2011 Insight LX
46 Posts
I had my mode control motor stop working recently, and I discovered that there's a self-diagnostic mode in the climate control module. When the car is on but not running, just hold OFF and press Rear Window Defogger 5 times quickly, then let go of OFF and it will do all its checks and show a code if something is wrong:
Font Parallel Number Document Pattern

Mine was giving me D and A/C code, so I figured I needed to replace the MCM. It was a real pain getting it out, but then I tested it and it worked fine. I plugged it back into the car connector and did the self-test again, and there were no codes. Now I just need to figure out how to get it reinstalled! And hopefully it'll work fine. Not sure what happened, but at least I learned some things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure the arms and pivot points are reconnected properly or motor may work but air flow won't be correct. Air could be stuck in defrost :). Don't ask how i know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe there may be 2 versions of the part depending on the trim level. I believe there is 1 pin and either 1 or 2 groves on the white gear.
You'll need to locate the corresponding mate behind the console. You may need to use other hand to install.
Concentrate on the fathest Grove. use left have to move the arm (behind console) with a pick or screwdriver and right hand trying to align the motor. once 1st farthest gear is seated, work on the 2nd. Also use a good flashlight so you can see into tbe abyss. another tip: with motor plugged in, set the mode to differrnt position to see were the arms (in the abyss)move. The position that worked best for me was when the arms were farther away than closer to the cabin. this allowed me to see the arms vs having the arms blocked by all the other components. Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 Insight LX
46 Posts
Update: I got it all back together and working fine, without needing medical attention! (Except for a few bandaids.) Not sure what was wrong in the first place.

By the way, here was the code the self-diagnostic showed me:
Car White Vehicle Light Automotive design

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: I got it all back together and working fine, without needing medical attention! (Except for a few bandaids.) Not sure what was wrong in the first place.

By the way, here was the code the self-diagnostic showed me:
View attachment 98245
Battle wounds :). Don't worry, this part may become angry in the future or another peer may act up. I can imagine a rubber seal sticking in the closed position causing this actuator to have issues. problematic motor actuators are common with all the hondas. Sometimes the arm get's dislodged or the grease in the assembly gets hardened and every once in a while, the internal DC motor actually fails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts