Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know enough about the differences in the new underbelly engine cover to decide whether it's worth upgrading from the 2010 cover?

The 2010 and 2012 model numbers are different. The 2010 underbelly engine cover part # is 74111-TM8-A00, while the 2012 underbelly engine cover part # is 74111-TM8-A10. These numbers are from bernardi parts. I suppose I will go to a dealer this week and look at the newer models to check out the underbelly updates.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also considering buying the air diffusers for the rear bumper. These are included on 2012 and up models. They are only about $12 a piece. I figure I can drill my own holes and mount them with nuts bolts and washers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
first honda did it, claimed 5mpg. Im interested in the rear thing. You got a part number for it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you could see the part numbers in the crappy picture uploaded from my iPhone. I just placed an order for the new engine cover & both the left and right air splitters. I will post some 2010/2012 cover comparison pictures. Also, I will try to post some installation pics when attaching the air splitters. I plan on measuring the placement of the air splitters by examining a newer Insight at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Congratulations on figuring out a way to post content from Bernardi. I can never link to a page. I guess a screen capture of your shopping cart works. I could read it anyway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh thanks. It's the best I could do on my phone. Cobb could you post a link to firsthonda's description of the cover he used?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries, thanks for posting that! I will let you know when I get back my belly pan. It is on back order til the 16th. I will take some pictures and such

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the new engine belly cover versus the older cover. Basically, the newer model does not have a scooped out belly. The result is an overall smoother under belly. Whether it is worth ~$40, I doubt it. But oh well :D I will report on any fuel economy changes. Honda reports a 2% increase in mpg from the new belly, the rear bumper air splitters, and other body mods on the 2012 and 2013 models.

The 'scooped out' area is closer to the front of the car. After seeing the newly designed engine cover, it seems like Honda's engineers finally took a class over Bernoulli's equation and aerodynamics. Heh what a simple change.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here is a picture of the Left and Right Air Splitters for the rear bumper. I have also attached a picture of the left side Air Splitter attached to a newer model Insight at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thanks for posting. This should be more noticeable at highway speeds as you double the speed you get 4 x the wind resistance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily most of my driving is highway. I have yet to install the air splitters, but there is a noticeable difference in mpg from the new cover. Small... But noticeable. More to come after install of air splitters

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mpg increase for sure. Maybe like 1 mpg, although that kind of change is difficult to be considered statistically significant. I think with the air splitters added to the rear bumper, these mods will have netted me an additional 1-2 mpg.

That said, I am STILL working on breaking 50mpg for a whole tank. Running my girlfriend around with the AC on kills my average. ��

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
This time of year you maybe able to block the whole lower grill. My focus is more on performance in the 50-70mph range.

Nothing like the dirty looks you get not turning on ac to get better mpg. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I had more of my grill blocked a few months ago. I made a trip to South Carolina and got caught in beach traffic on the way out. The AC was on and because i was not moving, i had some real overheating.The engine coolant temp got up to 237F before I finally decided to awkwardly drive on the shoulder around some cars into a parking lot. I then tore off the foam grill block, which was trapping all the heat from the engine and AC in the engine bay.

I would not have my grill blocked without my Ultragauge to monitor the coolant temperature. The red H for hot coolant temp never showed up though. Since that trip, I have decreased my grill block slightly and have added some Lucas Super Coolant to the radiator line. Once Fall comes around I will block the whole lower grill.

On another note, I finally installed the air splitters. It was super easy!! Apparently, the plastic push-screw that holds the rear bumper on also functions to hold the air splitter in place. I then had to drill a small hole in the black plastic portion of the underside of the rear bumper. This allowed the splitter to be mounted flush with the frame of the car, as there is a small, cylindrical plastic rod that sticks out of the splitter to hold it to the body. I may drill one more hole in the black plastic and attach a bolt, nut, and washer through the other rubber mount on the splitter.

I will take some pictures for a more visual explanation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
In the first picture, the Green Arrow indicates where the plastic push-screw is on the left side of the rear bumper. I did not have to drill a hole for this mount, and that was convenient. The Red Arrow indicates where I drilled a hole and installed a spare plastic push-screw.

In the second picture, the Red Arrow indicates where I had to drill another hole for the plastic rod on the end of the air splitter.

In the third picture, the initial installation of the air splitter on the left side of the rear bumper can be seen. I still need to align it a little better with the frame of the car.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looks like it helps to create a vortex behind the car and makes the air "wrap" around the rear. I may do it too. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, I am glad to share :) yeah I think the purpose of the air splitters is to make the overall air "wake" of the car smaller; thus, creating less drag. Initially I thought there would be more required to install them. But since you can utilize pre-existing holes, I would recommend the air splitters, especially at $12 a piece. 😁

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
5 Participants
egads
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing