Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Honda dealership, to get a simple checkup. Battery is apparently “Very bad.” Should I be concerned? Should I fork over the 1300$ for a new battery?

I have been having regular appointments and all of a sudden I get told about the battery..seems kinda fishy.

What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
Are you getting IMA lights?

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna sound super stupid, but what’s an IMA light?

I am only getting the light about my TPSM system being messed up, nothing about the battery. That is why I’m kind of suspicious.

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
Then I'm suspicious too. The IMA light is a light on the dash that says IMA, and then it throws codes that say there's a problem with the big battery.

Blow it off until you really have a problem. The G2 is usually pretty good at taking care of the battery.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,274 Posts
It is hard for 1st gen folks to be a lot of help, and you are posting in the 1st gen forum. I'll move it for you to the proper forum.

Gen 2 batteries seem to last better than gen 1 batteries, but you are now at 8-9 years. The IMA batteries won't last for ever in any hybrid, so yes it might be marginal. The battery technology is NiMH, same as the troublesome gen 1 batteries, so they are prone to some of the same problems.

IMA stands for Integrated Motor Assist. It is the Honda hybrid system.

You might search in the gen 2 archives to see what the battery life experience of others has been.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is hard for 1st gen folks to be a lot of help, and you are posting in the 1st gen forum. I'll move it for you to the proper forum.

Gen 2 batteries seem to last better than gen 1 batteries, but you are now at 8-9 years. The IMA batteries won't last for ever in any hybrid, so yes it might be marginal. The battery technology is NiMH, same as the troublesome gen 1 batteries, so they are prone to some of the same problems.

You might search in the gen 2 archives to see what the battery life experience of others has been.
Thanks for moving it. Sorry about that. And thanks for the answers everybody!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
IMA= Integrated Motor Assist, what Honda calls the battery pack and charging system.
What is the age and condition of the 12 volt battery under the hood? How many miles on the Insight? TPMS= Tire Pressure Monitoring System. There are sending units in the tire valve stems that talk to the car's computer. The batteries in the sending units can go bad.

Also, you can do a search here with the term TPMS and read some older threads about others who may have had this light come on and what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
328 Posts

AFAIK not heard of any 2 nd generation insight to have a hybrid battery failure( 2 nd insight owner)my old 2010 one still flying

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fir what its worth, my 2011 insight has 125.000 miles and no IMA issues, or any other issues.

I trust most service shops as far as I can throw them. Some ignorant. Some fraudulent. I wouldn't worry about it if no symptoms. At most could get a 2nd opinion but only if "free" like while getting an oilchange.

There may be a way to reset the TPMS, check manual, and check tire pressure as it drops in cold weather.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,274 Posts
I trust most service shops as far as I can throw them. Some ignorant. Some fraudulent. I wouldn't worry about it if no symptoms.
Seems to me no truer words were ever spoken, and in the modern world it goes far beyond automotive shops :(

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
A complete IMA battery pack from a Honda dealer for $1300. would be a steal. Not that I think he needs one. Yes one should be wary at dealers and even independent shops. However, one cannot expect to have a vehicle as complicated as an Insight and never seek help from a real dealer. They are: the only ones who can read some vehicle specific codes, the only ones who can update the software, and the only ones who can get Honda Corp. to cover repairs out of warranty. I have had all these things from a Honda dealer. One should try to find the best one in your area. Even the service writer can make a difference. They are paid commission, just like the salesmen out front. The good ones have earned the trust of their customers and will not need to pad a ticket to make their sales goals. Sales resistance and a sense of smell for bullsh*t on the part of the customer helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What could be "very bad" about the battery besides not being able to hold a charge??
Mine threw a code ONCE a couple of years ago; dealer did a diagnostic and said they'd need to do warranty replacement, and scheduled a daylong, gave me a loaner car. By the time I got home they had left a voicemail saying US HQ told them it needed to raise the code again before they'd authorize the swap, no questions asked. Hasn't happened.
I am local to Bumblebee, had them balance and recondition the battery which was obviously helpful but a) the heightened level of performance did not last and b) it's not cost effective to do it as preventative maintenance, since at $600 a pop I'll never recoup the cost before paying the equivalent of a new battery. They primarily do that service on "dead" batteries which will extend the life but it isn't a miracle. Considering BumbleBee's proprietary product has 25% more capacity, I'll replace mine with theirs if it comes to that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts