Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have had our 2012 Insight Base for exactly one week. We bought it in NH as they had the color we wanted and a Base model. On the way home we got 55.6 mpg. We were just delighted. Since then intown and highway we have been around 51 mpg. This weekend we took a road trip of about 200 miles and returned with 49.9 mpg and that was with a major slowdown on I95 of about 30 min. Without that, we would have certainly been over 50.
So....this car will give you hight milage and all you have to do is keep all the leaves on the tree and the background green. We do it just by never smashing the pedal to the metal and never fast starts....always slow and smooth and top speen on highways of about 65-70 but very steady. The EPA numbers are very low and misleading and i am afraid they have chased away many buyers. We love the car!
Now i will tell you all about the high pitch squeeling that has been rep[orted on this forum. We got this too. Some of you who buy a new 2012 will find that once you get it on the highway at speeds over 60mph it will began to sing....actually a high pitch squeeling that will send you into a frenzy. It is very simple and do not be alarmed about this. It is a glitch in the manufacture of the outside trim on the top of the windshield just behind the rear view mirror. On the outside of the car. this is what you dol. Take your Insight back to your Honda dealer...any Honda dealer. There is now a Honda Bulletin out on this problem. Tell them to pull the bulletin and it is a simple fix. just a silicone bead that they will run under the rubber on the outside of the windhsield. You willhave to wait or drop off the car. It take's about 4 hours because they have to wait until it dries. It will fix the issue totally.
Hope all of this helps .
carlent

·
Registered
17 Posts
What I don't understand is why Honda didn't just deal with this issue before selling us the cars? Yeah, it's a quick fix. But why not just take care of it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
squealing at high speed

probably because Honda did not know of this problem when the cars went out to the public. they don't take them out and drive them at 65 mph bofore they are released!

·
Registered
31 Posts
we have had our 2012 Insight Base for exactly one week. We bought it in NH as they had the color we wanted and a Base model. On the way home we got 55.6 mpg. We were just delighted. Since then intown and highway we have been around 51 mpg. This weekend we took a road trip of about 200 miles and returned with 49.9 mpg and that was with a major slowdown on I95 of about 30 min. Without that, we would have certainly been over 50.
So....this car will give you hight milage and all you have to do is keep all the leaves on the tree and the background green. We do it just by never smashing the pedal to the metal and never fast starts....always slow and smooth and top speen on highways of about 65-70 but very steady. The EPA numbers are very low and misleading and i am afraid they have chased away many buyers. We love the car!
Now i will tell you all about the high pitch squeeling that has been rep[orted on this forum. We got this too. Some of you who buy a new 2012 will find that once you get it on the highway at speeds over 60mph it will began to sing....actually a high pitch squeeling that will send you into a frenzy. It is very simple and do not be alarmed about this. It is a glitch in the manufacture of the outside trim on the top of the windshield just behind the rear view mirror. On the outside of the car. this is what you dol. Take your Insight back to your Honda dealer...any Honda dealer. There is now a Honda Bulletin out on this problem. Tell them to pull the bulletin and it is a simple fix. just a silicone bead that they will run under the rubber on the outside of the windhsield. You willhave to wait or drop off the car. It take's about 4 hours because they have to wait until it dries. It will fix the issue totally.
Hope all of this helps .
carlent
Thanks for the information about the bulletin, I will check mine when I collect the car later today. You mpg numbers are good news, I'm looking forward to saving some $$$. My target is a 50mpg average, it looks achievable.

It may be that I get an added bonus on this car, I received an email from the Canadian dealership head office, the email listed some special offers - if I bought a car before the end of September.

$2000 discount voucher on purchase or lease on an insight.

Free oil servicing (not the whole service) for the next two years (max of 5 services).

$200 gas card.

Entry to a draw for an iPad.

It seems like the vehicle may cost less than I thought.
The icing on the cake, the insurance is $4 a month less than I am paying on my two year old civic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squealing and MPG

yes, that is great. If you buy the base model it is only $18,500 plus destination charge that will bring it up to about $19,200 and if you get the rebate you are really getting a super fine deal. Your hope of 50mpg is certainly possible as we are getting that now and more. Just drive it with all the leave's on the tree green and green background most all of the time. Always with no exceptions, drive only in ECON mode. This car is like a video game. the control is on the right of your steering wheel right by where your right thumb will rest. You can change screens on your dash and you can see the tree with all of the green leaves and on your upper spedo display you see the ring behind your digital speed display either green (good) or blue(bad) It is really a hoot and such a nice and comfortable car to drive. In ECON it still have plenty of power to get out onto the xway and to pass.
Best to you

carlent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts