Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 8k miles, I have noticed that my car is burning excessive oil.

Today I decided to take the car to my local dealership. They told me that they will have to do an oil consumption test. For $54.00 they changed the oil and after 1000 miles I am suppose to take the car back to them.

Attached is the picture of oil level right after the oil change

current oil level is way over the top hole on the dip stick, I have always changed my car oil myself and I have never seen oil level this high even if I put in total oil required. I asked the person working at the dealership and he said it's normal. I am afraid that the baseline for initial oil level is way over the full level and the dealer is going to say the car is not burning oil when i take it back in.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,842 Posts
You need to take it back to them immediately to document/correct this. They (maybe inadvertently) are forcing the consumption to appear to be less than it really is. Call them out on it and don't let them get away with trying to trick you.

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are in the U.S. Call Honda America explain what's happening. Get a reference number and return to the dealer armed with that. I recently had a horrible engine failure and all this oil consumption would make me quite nervous. After my car went in they replaced almost everything, pistons, rings, gaskets. It was mind blowing. After all of the parts arrived and the work was complete 3 days it now runs better then ever. Feels like a whole new beast in Eco mode my last drive to my sisters house 190miles round trip I did 53 mpg and I wasn't granny driving either. Just keep on the dealer and hopefully you will have the vehicles problem resolved in a timely manner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Excessive oil consumption is a known 2012 issue. I really don't think they are trying to rig the test. All of my Hondas get dealer service and they usually do have an oil level above the top line right after a change.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Documentation and witnesses is your best safety valve. Make them aware of the overfill.

HTH
Willie

·
Super Moderator
4,842 Posts
Excessive oil consumption is a known 2012 issue. I really don't think they are trying to rig the test. All of my Hondas get dealer service and they usually do have an oil level above the top line right after a change.
Maybe they are, and maybe they aren't.

BMW has an oil consumption problem on their twin turbo V-8s. You can't check the oil because there is no dipstick. The car tells you when it is low and it tells you when to change it. To "fix" this problem BMW lowered the oil change interval from 15,000 to 10,000 miles. And the dealers intentionally overfill every oil change by one quart. This isn't the only problem they are covering up by devious methods.

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
For '12 insight with these oil consumption problems Check the muffler to make sure that nothing is coming out of there (clear water). other then the normal early morning exhaust. If you find dampness on the concrete below you muffler stop get it towed immediately that happened at the dealer and was another issue with my basket case '12 insight. The car is still running beautifully after the engine was repaired. I'm completely happy with mine right now. When operating properly I think it's a fun little car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully someone can chime in on my situation. Yesterday I stopped by the dealership to get a second oil consumption test done and an inspection on a whistling/static sound coming from the front driver side wheel. This time I was being helped by the assistant manager. I made it very clear to him that I needed the oil to be filled accurately and NOT overtopped like the previous time. He reviewed the notes on his system and concluded that he is able to replace the pistons and seals under warranty. I thought this entire situation was too good to be true. After I received an expected wait period of 2 weeks I thanked him and arranged a rental.

Next day I get a phone call from the service manager explaining that the parts needed are on high back order, and that they topped me off and I needed to pickup the insight today. They told me they would call me in a month and they would proceed to do the repair then when the parts arrive. This was not a phone call I wanted to receive and I told the manager that I've already made arrangements for a rental vehicle. A few minutes later she comes back on the line and says that she's going to talk to Honda US to try and get the parts rushed to the dealer.

Ok, WTF is going on? Are these guys trying to avoid repairing the insight? Any advice? I'm getting super frustrated.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Patience and "Documentation" is my suggestion.
HTH
Willie
Does your state have the "LEMON LAW"?

·
Super Moderator
4,842 Posts
Don't stress. Just typical dealership stuff. The hard part is done--getting them to agree to repair it. Just roll with the flow. Waiting a few weeks isn't going to hurt anything.

Sam

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It has been reported here that parts for this repair are back ordered. If you are paying out of pocket for the rental, they are doing you a favor by not tearing into it without the parts on hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10 days later

Attached is a pick of oil level after 10 days of driving and about 900 miles after the first picture.

I will be taking the car to the dealer in coming days, hopefully they will agree that the car is burning too much oil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Almost a qt in a thousand miles. :confused: Hows the 97 Accord going at oil consumption?

You are in VA? Central VA? Which dealer are you dealing with? Pearson, Checkered Flag, BroadStreet, Colonial to name a few?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
>>Hows the 97 Accord going at oil consumption?

My accord leaks a little bit of oil, but it does not burn oil. Build quality on 90-98 honda's was rock solid.

>>You are in VA? Central VA? Which dealer are you dealing with? Pearson, Checkered Flag, BroadStreet, Colonial to name a few?

Northern Virginia,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yesterday I took my car in for the 2nd visit to get the results for the oil consumption test. (about 1000 miles later)

The dealer filled the oil to the top hole on dip stick and notified me that it only burnt 1/2 qt of oil and that was within the normal spec.

During my initial visit I had shown the overfill level to the Honda dealer person who was handling my car. I informed the said person about initial overfill level and at the same time showed him the picture of the initial oil level. He looked at me and said that's not true, it was not overfilled.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yeah, they're screwing you.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Keep your documentation and pictures up to date for further "Hassles".

Willie

·
Super Moderator
4,842 Posts
Is the end of it, or are they going to check it after this most recent top-off?

Sam

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the dealership again to complain and they have agreed to do another oil consumption test. This time they topped the oil to the top hole of the dip stick and no more.

·
Super Moderator
4,842 Posts
Good! Drive it really hard this time.

Sam

1 - 20 of 51 Posts