Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new insight over the weekend.
Filled it up with 87 gas. Drove it for 172.7 miles.
Mostly mixed driving with speed ranging from 0-65 mph.

Computer said I got 54.4 MPG.
went to the gas station and filled it up with 87 gas. 3.446 gallons.

172.7/3.446 which is 50.11.

Is this normal for other owners where the the computer reading is off.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, that's normal. It's usually 2-3 mpg off in my case. Calculating it yourself is much more accurate than the car. It just gives you a good estimate of how much mpg you're getting.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Good for you getting 50.11 right out of the gate. But really, basing anything on a first fill up that is barely over 1/3 of a tank is meaningless.

You can create an account at Fuelly (there's mobile app) that will help you keep track of MPG over time:

Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

·
Registered
112 Posts
It seems to me that current technology is incapable of uber-precisely measuring how much fuel is in the tank. I can't even imagine what technology they might employ to do so, but with the vehicle in motion, standard sensors would always be at risk of fluctuation due to the sloshing effect of the fuel within the tank. Maybe that's part of the reason why my dash readout always seems to lose .2 or .3 mpg about as soon as I pull out of my driveway in the morning. Today I went to the gas station about 2 miles away to fill up, then came straight home. Taking it pretty easy [slow acceleration and never above 50 mph], my average mpg on the trip odometer had dropped .6 mpg on a "trip" of nearly 200 miles! Granted, it's cold here this morning, but the car sits in a reasonably warm garage, and there's no wind to speak of. It's almost like the car's instruments recalibrate the fuel estimate after it sits overnight, but that may be anthropomorphizing a bit... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts