Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

I've been lurking around the site for a while and this is my first post. I purchased a 2012 Insight from a used car dealer around 2-3 months ago. I was aware that this year had an issue with oil consumption, but I bought the car with confidence due to the TSB 15-015. Of course, the vehicle has been burning almost a quart of oil every 400-500 miles. I took the car to my local Honda Dealer and they confirmed that they would be able to do the work on the car if it is consuming oil excessively. After looking at my vehicle for a while they came back and told me that I'd have to have over $1,000 of repairs done to correct a "massive" leak before they can perform the consumption test.

I have never seen oil drips under the vehicle at all. I mentioned this to the guy at Honda and he told me that it was a slow seep rather than a leak, which I find quite interesting since he had first called it a massive leak. So I left the Honda dealer with nothing resolved and decided that I'd take the car to an independent mechanic to get their opinion on the leak.

I was driving on the interstate in the left lane about 2 weeks ago and suddenly the car lost power and the check engine light came on and started blinking. I pulled over to the left side of the road and waited until there was a break in traffic for me to move to the right side of the interstate. Luckily I managed to get across, the car is barely driveable. I had a tow truck tow it to my dad's house since I was 40+ minutes away from my house. The check engine light flashes when running, the MID says to check the brake system, the hill assist system, and the emissions system. The car has plenty of oil in it, I filled it prior to going on its last drive (and oddly enough the car has lost no oil at all in the entire 2 weeks of being parked, which makes me doubt that leak even more).

When I read the engine codes my reader said that cylinder 2 had a misfire. So I opened the engine to replace the spark plugs and they were HORRIBLE. I will try to upload a photo in the next couple of days, every single front plug was destroyed, corroded, and soaked in oil. I've replaced all 8 spark plugs along with the coils for cylinder 2. There has been no improvement in the car after changing the spark plugs and those two coils, and now I'm getting the P0300, P0303, and P0302 codes. So obviously replacing the plugs and coils didn't fix cylinder 2, and I now have a misfire in cylinder 3 as well.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do exactly. I could get the issue fixed, take it back to Honda, do the oil consumption test, and then have Honda fix the piston ring issue. The problem is that I'd hate to pay for this issue when it was likely caused by the piston ring/oil consumption problem. Does anyone think I'd have any luck getting Honda to repair the car since this issue was likely caused by the oil consumption issue that they've done the TSB 15-015 for?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Honda Insight at since 50k mile oil consumption

I had the same problem. code is DTC P0301. The car is in the dealer now and they quoted me $4700+tax. Problem is said to be the spark plugs are soaked with oil and got wet due to piston rings are leaking oil in to the piston. They recommended replacing all the piston rings. I don't know what to do. I know I am not buying an other Honda for the rest of my life just to protest them. I hope they pay some sort of penalty for their ignorance to the matter. If anybody wants to start a class action law suit, I am in.

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Search this site. Honda is replacing these engines, depending on mileage and salvage status.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
The one you're on. This site. Insight Central.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Use the Google search box at the top left. 2012 Oil Consumption gave me a lot of hits.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,372 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I had the same problem. code is DTC P0301. The car is in the dealer now and they quoted me $4700+tax. Problem is said to be the spark plugs are soaked with oil and got wet due to piston rings are leaking oil in to the piston. They recommended replacing all the piston rings. I don't know what to do. I know I am not buying an other Honda for the rest of my life just to protest them. I hope they pay some sort of penalty for their ignorance to the matter. If anybody wants to start a class action law suit, I am in.
I think there already was a class action lawsuit. Honda sent owners a notice of warranty extension. If you just bought it or threw away the letter you might not know about it. Here is a site with the transcribed service bulletin:

https://honda.oemdtc.com/372/warran...customer-expectations-2012-2013-honda-insight

·
Registered
1 Posts
The increased oil consumption 'issue' is due to oil control rings getting clogged with carbon deposits.

The cause is using general gasoline which burns dirty, and leaves a lot of carbon and other deposits behind.

Vehicle using TopTier gasoline (containing the proper amount of additive) do not experience these problems.

The change in design (which was done to successfully increase efficiency) pushes to the limit. Improper operator behavior and treatment is beyond manufacturers control.

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
I don't see putting (any kind of) gas in it as being "improper operator behavior".

Sam

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
There are 2012 Insights over here that have the oil burning issue despite using E95 gas of top tier companies. It may occur later than usual, but gas quality is only part of the problem at best.

·
Super Moderator
8,902 Posts
Not a G2 guy, but iirc the problem with actually design of the rings themselves. Honda must feel culpable for the design or they wouldn't have the fix program.;)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
There's a reason Honda sells less and less cars over here. More than one, actually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts