Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok below is a video I just made showing my mileage results on my brand new 2013 Honda Insight EX I just purchased last week.

The only other Hybrid I have ever driven was my original 2001 Insight CVT traded it on in 2003 after I put a lot of mileage on it, I am sure that experience has helped me gain these good results so quickly.

A few notes its in the high 30's here today and gas been very cold since I got the car and the car has just over 100 miles on it so we are still in the bresk in period, car is stock except for me pumping all the tires up to 40 psi and putting in 93 octane gas from Shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Oo-RehxYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I blocked just the bottom grill with pipe insulation from Loews it only cost me $2.00, the next night on my drive home I averaged 64.7 again the temperature was in the high 20's. Bottom grill is completely blocked but I left the top grill open as normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts

Very nice! I also am a new 2013 owner. Still have just ~200 miles on mine--weather has been terrible this week so I haven't been driving it--and am averaging 49.3 overall but well into the 60s highway. I'm also still running completely stock. No grill block, but have been avoiding the ultra cold weather...

JC

·
Registered
790 Posts
Insight is a hoot in the snow. VSA & T/C it's like training wheels for tots.

I tried to get mine sideways yesterday, it wouldn't do it. It would going backwards but not going forward.

Nice MPG BTW.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wish I could get ours to touch the 60mpg range. Last night I averaged 54.9mpg on the way home from work (67 mile drive) but I was only going about 55 mph due to slower traffic with snow on the road. Normally we're closer to 70mph and the mileage is just a little over 50mpg. I have blocked the lower valence off too but still am not getting the same mileage as you guys are reporting in. What am I doing wrong? ECO is always on, not touching the cruise control, heater fan off, and predicting the ups/downs of the hills in the road...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be easy on the gas pedal, I try to "aim" the instantaneous meter on or around the "75" mark and try to stay away from stop and go traffic, your mileage will drop rapidly, your best mileage will be on roads with speed limits around 45 mph and limited stops.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think our speeds and hills are the culprits then. I'm always mindful of the instantaneous meter, but am thankful to just keep it over the 50mpg bar. Since it is a 65mph highway that we need to take on the way to work I think I'll have to be happy with what I'm getting thus far. Only the last few miles are in the 45-50mph range.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mileage max

The only time so far that I've seen 60+ mpg is at about 62 mph, using cruise control, on a generally flat 4-lane highway. But keep in mind it was ~35 F at the time. I'm sure it's similarly winter weather where you are now, and mileage will only get better as it warms up. Insight owners who are getting over 60, 70 mpg in hilly terrain *really* know what they're doing, and I also suspect that cold wintry weather is a double negative when pulling up hills. Just seems that everything runs better in the summer months.

JC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jc2bg, defiantly try covering your bottom grill, since I tried it, I have found it defiantly works to improve mileage, and seems to be safe for any temps below 50 degrees, here is a pic of mine, I just went to Loews and purchased pipe insulation, nothing is glued or stuck to the car, just used the frame of the grill to hold it in place, even went through a car wash with it and it didn't move.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Blocking lower grill

Thanks for the pic/explanation. Since I don't have to drive every day snd can avoid a lot of the colder weather, I've been holding off on blocking until I found something very easy and cheap, with an emphasis on easy. The pipe insulation sounds like a winner!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Not bad, I am sitting at 37 mpg myself, but its due to the nut behind the wheel. :)

Yeah, we had some snow yesterday and I was making all the pretty yellow lights blink and the petals vibrate as I drove. It took a block to get use to how much I could accelerate or brake on the white stuff without triggering them. :)

Otherwise I could of drove balls to the wall and the car maintains itself.

Insight is a hoot in the snow. VSA & T/C it's like training wheels for tots.

I tried to get mine sideways yesterday, it wouldn't do it. It would going backwards but not going forward.

Nice MPG BTW.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Between the new fog/turn signals and the civic like upper grill its hard to see an insight from your rear view mirror.
The new grille for the 2012 Insight comes with a blue stripe that Honda says represents the car’s “high-tech hybrid identity.”

1 - 15 of 15 Posts