Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am second owner of a 2013 Honda Insight still under original factory warranty. It is using 1 quart of oil in 700-800 miles. I called Honda Company and took it to a dealer. They started an oil consumption test where I get it checked every 500 to 1000 miles. On some of the tests, dealers are reporting lower usage than this even when I check it just before taking it in and results are different. I feel like Honda and their dealerships are doing everything in their power to refuse warranty service on my engine. The oil is pitch black and not even due for a change. It is this color even with all of the oil that has been added. I plan to start changing it more often, but cannot do what I want when it is being monitored for consumption.
Any ideas on how I can get this car fixed? Or ideas on how I can further document the problem? Would an engine compression test help? Or a used oil analysis? I doubt it could pass an emission test either burning this much oil. I am about to run out of warranty and I don't know what to do.
Should I just trade it in for something else and quote Honda who says oil consumption is "normal"? What are the odds that I won't buy the same problem in another car? I am seeing Oil Burning Engines by the millions in every car company I looked at and bad reputations across the board on not being willing to honor warranties. Is there a place to get this fixed at my expense? I'm in Michigan. What would you do?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
bout the only thing you can do is try to push them to be accurate. talk to the service manager so he knows your face, sometimes it is easy to get lost in the crowd at big shops.

it isn't in the dealerships interest to turn down work, so it is unlikely they are trying to skew your results in order to not work on your car. warranty work does suck, but it is work and they are paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,800 Posts
Keep working with Honda. They WILL fix it. If they have already documented a quart per 7-800 miles but aren't making a decision, get the Zone Manager involved. So far you're doing the right things.

Be polite and let them know you're working WITH them and doing whatever they ask. But don't roll over and start talking about things like trading it in. Your position is that there is a problem with the car, it is under warranty, there is a TSB on the problem, and you expect them to fix it. You reported it before the warranty expired, so don't worry about that. It is still an active case.

Sam

·
Registered
57 Posts
On your oil tests, is the car filled above the full mark when you start? Did any of the test come out over a quart per thousand miles?

I get my oil changed at Honda and they seem to put in 4 quarts. That is enough to skew the results. Remind them the capacity is 3.6 quarts. Check the dip stick prior to leaving the dealer. If they won't do anything about it, I would remove the excess myself.

There is no reason not to try another dealer for the next test.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the dealer had added too much oil for the test, i think we can just get the extra oil out using a syringe and a small long hose.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Documentation is the key word. Everything!

Willie

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It's weird how some folks get the dealer to acknowledge the issue and then fix it and some stonewall completely. If you Google the TSB 05-015 there are a lot of reports of even the Honda Corp call centers telling customers that a quart every 1000 miles is normal. It's an expensive repair for them to cover. I know they are doing it for Odysseys of the same vintage that they also used these rings in. But then again that is a $30k+ vehicle that they hope their customers buy another one of. Our crappy little Insights they barely made any money on to begin with and have now stopped making. They are also replacing air bags on practically every car they sold in the last 15-20 years. That they have to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am second owner of a 2013 Honda Insight still under original factory warranty. It is using 1 quart of oil in 700-800 miles. I called Honda Company and took it to a dealer. They started an oil consumption test where I get it checked every 500 to 1000 miles. On some of the tests, dealers are reporting lower usage than this even when I check it just before taking it in and results are different. I feel like Honda and their dealerships are doing everything in their power to refuse warranty service on my engine. The oil is pitch black and not even due for a change. It is this color even with all of the oil that has been added. I plan to start changing it more often, but cannot do what I want when it is being monitored for consumption.
Any ideas on how I can get this car fixed? Or ideas on how I can further document the problem? Would an engine compression test help? Or a used oil analysis? I doubt it could pass an emission test either burning this much oil. I am about to run out of warranty and I don't know what to do.
Should I just trade it in for something else and quote Honda who says oil consumption is "normal"? What are the odds that I won't buy the same problem in another car? I am seeing Oil Burning Engines by the millions in every car company I looked at and bad reputations across the board on not being willing to honor warranties. Is there a place to get this fixed at my expense? I'm in Michigan. What would you do?
My 2012 Insight was having exact problem - started at 63000 miles - now has 84000 miles. I took it to Classic Honda in Galveston for a airbag recall and mentioned the oil consumption. They informed me that Honda did issue a service bulletin on this and has extended the warranty to 8 years unlimited mileage. They are repairing my car as we speak - new short block etc - MAJOR repairs - all at Honda's expense. Check with your local dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts