Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Insight Hybrid w/o Navigation. I do have Handsfree Link & can make & receive phone calls with my smartphone.
What I'd LOVE to be able to do, but cannot figure out, is how (or even whether it's possible) to stream audio from my phone through the car's sound system. I'd like to be able to listen to Pandora or Stitcher Radio on long drives.
I've been able to connect by Aux. jack, but one problem is that even when my phone's volume is at max and the car's radio volume knob is at max, I can still barely hear anything.
So, basically 2 questions, here! Anybody have any answers for me?
Thanks in advance. :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Why are you not using the usb connection in the center console? Also, when asking a question like this the actual smartphone you are using would be helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you not using the usb connection in the center console? Also, when asking a question like this the actual smartphone you are using would be helpful.
(a) I don't know how (can you give me a step-by-step?) and (b) I thought wireless would be easier, no cords/cables. Is it possible?
I'm using a Galaxy S4.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
From using the search here (I entered streaming) it seems that the usb does not support Android devices. The only way is through the AUX connection. It does work with iphones & ipods (many keep an old ipod in the console) Also, you can load music onto a usb stick and play that. The usb will charge an Android device. Read the 3 or 4 threads that come up when searching.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From using the search here (I entered streaming) it seems that the usb does not support Android devices. The only way is through the AUX connection. It does work with iphones & ipods (many keep an old ipod in the console) Also, you can load music onto a usb stick and play that. The usb will charge an Android device. Read the 3 or 4 threads that come up when searching.
If using Bluetooth, why would phone type even matter? Can you help me with BT CONNECTION? I'm no so interested in USB.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can you use the search here? Can you read your owner's manual? Both will give answers if you don't like mine.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If you don't want to answer a question, then don't feel compelled to by saying do a search.

The short answer is: no, you cannot stream audio to your radio via bluetooth.

I tried with a S4 and a S5. Odd since the phone works fine. I also have a volumn trouble with the aux jack from the headphones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't want to answer a question, then don't feel compelled to by saying do a search.

The short answer is: no, you cannot stream audio to your radio via bluetooth.

I tried with a S4 and a S5. Odd since the phone works fine. I also have a volumn trouble with the aux jack from the headphones.
Yeah, I was a bit annoyed by Egad's answer! Oh well, it takes all kinds. Anyway, thank you for your clear reply. That's what I was afraid of. Do you know whether I can stream audio (e.g. Pandora) from my Galaxy S4 via USB, or only AUX cable (which depletes or reduces the available volume)?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Yeah, the audio system in the insight isnt that great regardless of the model you pick. Most people upgrade the speakers, head unit and add an aftermarket bluetooth device.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It uses bluetooth for phone functions only, like many I've tried streaming audio from my Sony Xperia but no avail. It would not even take audio data from the phone if connected by USB...

But it works fine with my iPod or an iPhone connected to the USB port, just like with my 32GB USB stick (more capacity than the Nano - no playlists on the stick tho)

Audio quality is bad, most of all because of the unevenness of the output over the frequency range (drop in a test CD with an audio swoop from low to high and you will hear what I mean).
I think the location of the speakers is to blame for that, my old Civic had low door speakers too and the same trouble. I put Boston Rallye speakers in that, audio sound deadening foam in the doors (was great when you slammed the doors shut: felt like closing a vault...). It helped but never cured it completely. You'd need a fine band equalizer to really approach neutral sound output.
Maybe a Bose self-adjusting home system would work ;)

I have tinnitus (whistling ears) so I won't throw money in audio anymore; I just keep the volume down. None of my cars had good audio as OEM; in the end the Civic (my first and only audio modded car) beat the rest hands down.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
The model with Nav is suppose to have voice controls for the radio, ac, bluetooth and such like some of the American cars, but I never seen it advertised. Maybe 2 members here have it, but its nothing they write about. :confused:

I love my sony head unit that picks up hundreds of stations and the kicker series speakers. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
The model with Nav is suppose to have voice controls for the radio, ac, bluetooth and such like some of the American cars, but I never seen it advertised. Maybe 2 members here have it, but its nothing they write about. :confused:

I love my sony head unit that picks up hundreds of stations and the kicker series speakers. :D
I have the voice controls in my recently picked up used 2010 EX w/ Nav, but they don't work. If I ask for directions to a city or place the Nav unit displays a disc reading error message. Unfortunately, most of the stuff I've read online about this error is that I need to have the entire Nav unit replaced and not just the disc. It's a problem common in other Hondas, not just the Insight. I have a couple weeks left on my factory warranty so I'm going to get it fixed this weekend hopefully.

The voice controls for making phone calls don't seem to work either. I can answer calls easily with the bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel and have a conversation using the HandsFreeLink perfectly fine. Unfortunately, if I press the bluetooth button, wait for the beep, and say "Call Fred" it never seems to work. Definitely disappointing.

USB cable to iPhone works great for streaming audio though. I use Rdio (similiar to Spotify) for all my listening on my phone and it displays artist & song info no problem.

Speakers leave a lot to be desired. I'm a musician and the muddiness of the speakers is pretty disappointing. Bass seems to clip a lot too.

Luckily, the interior aesthetic (all the glowing lights & LCD screens
) makes up for the audio system. I'm probably too picky anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
You can get the honda fit under dash blue illumination kit and use it on our cars. You can also just get some blue led strips, an add a circuit fuse and tap the accessory fuse to power it. :cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pretty disappointing!
Agreed. I read the nav units fail also on several Honda models indicating not great electronics.

I have a 7 year old Mio GPS and it works fine (except the battery (and the maps are old)).

Anyway, I found today after I hook up my G5 via AUX I have to turn the volume up all the way on the phone, then I get a clear loud signal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts