Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Newbie here.)

2nd owner of 2013 Insight. 60.5K miles on it now.

I took it in for an Excessive Oil Consumption (EOC) test about a year ago. It didn't meet the threshold of consuming 1qt/1000miles to qualify for the extended warranty. :(

Fast forward to this Jan, I don't have details of that previous EOC test on hand, but it SEEMED to be consuming even more oil. So I brought it in for another EOC.

Then on March 4 the dealership reports consumption is 1.5qt / 2000 miles - still below the threshold to invoke the extended warranty. My daughter, meanwhile, reports unpleasant smells in the car when she's driving it, but I don't detect anything (no, I don't have COVID ;)) .

4 days later (yesterday), the car breaks down with all kinds of warnings cycling on the dash and I limp (15mph) to the side of the road. This was about a minute after accelerating hard on an uphill ramp to merge with left-side (so, higher speed) traffic on an interstate. Towed to dealership ($195).

Dealership's initial status report to me was that the code they see is 'misfire' (they didn't mention exact code number). They called about an hour later to say they pulled plug number one and found that it was fouled and broken. They pulled plugs 2 and 3 and they were also fouled. They hadn't pulled the rest of the plugs yet at the time of that phone call to me, but the assumption is all plugs are bad. The total cost of repair will be around $770.

Two days for them to get all the parts they need to replace plugs, so I'll pick up a loaner later today.

Question: How much of a case do I have to perhaps convince Honda to reimburse for this repair because, I think, the excessive oil consumption caused the fouled plugs - even if oil consumption isn't high enough to trigger the extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,372 Posts
To me "normal" oil consumption like that is BS. As an example, No G1 Insighters report NO oil consumption between 7500 miles intervals. I don't know of any other vehicle mfg. that has a high consumption problem. A letter to the EPA maybe would be worth while. The debate here is "What is a NORMAL oil consumption in a vehicle." I think I would sell it and switch brands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me "normal" oil consumption like that is BS.
Well nobody at the dealership is trying to tell me that 1.5qt/2000 miles is "normal" consumption - especially at just 60K miles.
But apparently I'm in the no-man's land where altho' I have high oil consumption, it's just not high enough to be covered by the extended warranty.

Times being what they are, I'm not in a position to switch cars. If I have to, I'll live with adding a quart each month and perhaps try using fuel additive to prevent fouled plugs.

Meanwhile, if the hive mind here has any advice for trying to convince Honda that they ought to cover the cost of replacing the plugs because of the oil consumption problem, I'm all ears! 👂

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It's the stupid "experimental" piston rings that need replacing. You might try calling Honda directly. I assume the high cost of replacing the spark plugs is because they need to tear thing apart to get to a broken piece? I mean there are 8 expensive plugs and you have to disassemble the parts under the windshield to replace them, but $770.00?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here are those plugs, if anybody's interested. Again, from 2013 Insight with 60.5K miles.
A trusted mechanic friend says it looks like typical wear-n-tear - not related to oil in the firing chamber after all.
The brown discoloration at the base on the insulator is from pressure, he said.

I'm no mechanic. I've owned various cars for 40 years. Maybe my memory is failing, :(
but it seems strange that these plugs would die after only 60K.
What thinks the hive mind?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
They came out pretty clean at 140k on our 2010 Insight. I still think you have piston ring issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We need a much better picture to really comment.
attachment.jpeg

Well I was trying to avoid the ire of those who've complained about huge pix, but maybe this is better.

Recap: 2013 Insight with 60.5K miles. Car broke down soon after I basically floored it on an uphill merge lane onto an Interstate highway near home.
We got towed to the dealership who pulled these plugs (showing just 5 of the 8 here - the other 3 are similar with their white coating.)

Car consumes more oil than normal, but not enough to qualify for Honda's extended warranty.
In any case, the jury seems split as to whether excessive oil did this damage or not.

Open to opinions from the hive mind...

In any case, I'm more and more ready to put ICE technology behind me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts