Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who: All Honda Hybrid Enthusiasts/Insight Owners/IC Members/Prospective Owners/Good People

What: Fall Meet & Maintenance Day...and combined Social

When: Saturday, October 4th, 2014. 1000 AM. Possibly Sunday as needed/based on planning inputs/demand.

Where: Manassas, VA. Near I-95. Private IC member's house with garage/lift.

Why: To help us learn from each other and help prep cars for fall/winter weather. Possibly other associated mods/small fixes.

How: By signing up - and being there! Learn from and talk to some of the most experienced Insight owners on the East Coast!

Hoping to enjoy the company of several Upstate New York G1 fans, New Englanders, Floridians, Georgians, Mid-Westerns, and hey, West Coasties and Canadians would be most welcome!

Menu is TBD, but likely morning donuts/coffee, typical American BBQ, Veggy tray, cold beverages...etc (We usually pitch in $15-$20 to help offset these expenses.)

Prizes for: Best Mods, Highest Mileage car attendee, SECOND Lowest mileage attendee (sorry DogBite! LOL), Longest Traveling Attendee, People's Choice Car.

Please reply with attendance intent confirmation, questions, suggestions, volunteering or sponsorship offers, etc, just keep it positive! :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thanks for having me. :) In addition to my g2 I could bring my disconnected Enginer phev kit. If Truck does paint or body work I could use an estimate.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Sounding like a lot of fun. Just to get the list going,

Attending:

freezin4
truck
jime
Bill C.
cobb

Since I can't compete for lowest mileage, I think I'll go for most modified. I may have to add another or two. Maybe a new boat tail before the meet:)

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Cobb: No, Truck is not a mechanic by current profession. But a (multi-) Insight owner, car enthusiast, off-roader, and all around good-guy. His garage is more like an awesome man-cave than a body shop. Looking forward to finally meet you...in person...maybe...;)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, Im in. :cool: Ill pay 100 bucks to anyone who has the elbow and shoulder grease to wax/polish my car.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I'm interested. Work schedule looks good so far. I gotta figure out which ride to drive. How do you guys with multiple Insights decide ? :)

Attending:

freezin4
truck
jime
Bill C.
cobb
mountain driver

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta figure out which ride to drive. How do you guys with multiple Insights decide ? :)

This is a good problem to have. Red ones are rarer...DC traffic is guaranteed to put wear and tear on your clutch...bring the Red Rider. On the other hand, it would be great to have your MIMA car there too. Let's help you decide while at Mike D's.
(BTW, what's the plate on the silver gonna say? "80 MPG" ? "EZ80MPG" ? "MPGCHMP" ? "BESTMPG" ? "HIGHMPG")

I was worried that my summer was filling up fast with obligations, and passing by too quick, so this is nice to have two great meetups on the horizon. Maybe I'll try to squeeze in a "Tail of the Dragon" trip. Hmm

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
This is a good problem to have. Red ones are rarer...DC traffic is guaranteed to put wear and tear on your clutch...bring the Red Rider. On the other hand, it would be great to have your MIMA car there too. Let's help you decide while at Mike D's.
(BTW, what's the plate on the silver gonna say? "80 MPG" ? "EZ80MPG" ? "MPGCHMP" ? "BESTMPG" ? "HIGHMPG")

I was worried that my summer was filling up fast with obligations, and passing by too quick, so this is nice to have two great meetups on the horizon. Maybe I'll try to squeeze in a "Tail of the Dragon" trip. Hmm
Hmmm, tough decision. I'm leaning toward the Glider for Mike's, I can run quicker and get great mpg's. It's missing an aero panel; so that's a good opportunity for the belly pan from Scott. Also, I think Jime wants to whoop me in the mpg rally, I gotta give him a run for his money ;)

No lift at home, so maybe a trip to Trucks' for 'Red' and install my other belly panel.

As for the Gliders plate, lookin' like '9T-MPG' might suit. (I have 7NTY-MPG' on the back of 'Red').

btw: 1st trip UP the mountain to work with Silver, 88 mpg. Going back down is gonna be fun. :D

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
nor east coaster

I'm doing my best to be positive, so I'll signup and do my best to fit it in to the schedule.

Attending:

freezin4
truck
jime
Bill C.
cobb
mountain driver
WillS
samwichse

So far so good with the IMA since returning from nor east coaster spring gambrill.
A few regens mostly from 8 mi daily commute without any highway charging and one regen on the way up walker over the mountain at Tinmouth.
SOC hangs in the middle constantly as the car wonders who is driving it every time it starts up.
I was planning another set of charge cycles a few weeks ago, but I think I just do some 100 mi highway trips instead to see if this new IMA behavior is solid enough.
Looking forward to seein all you folks ( or should I just say yall?) at Mikes place too.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Put me down for a definite maybe.

·
Registered
443 Posts
As it stands now, I should be able to make it! Will also try to drag along my good buddy in the black Insight. Fingers crossed!

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And Sandy too!

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Wouldn't be complete without Sandy the wonder dog.

Attending:

freezin4
truck
jime
Bill C.
cobb
mountain driver
WillS
samwichse
jrmgarcia

·
Registered
619 Posts
Who: All Honda Hybrid Enthusiasts/Insight Owners/IC Members/Prospective Owners/Good People

What: Fall Meet & Maintenance Day...and combined Social

When: Saturday, October 4th, 2014. 1000 AM. Possibly Sunday as needed/based on planning inputs/demand.

We'll see, not sure if anything will come up then or not yet.

Where: Manassas, VA. Near I-95. Private IC member's house with garage/lift.

Is it hard to get to from I-81? I get lost ridiculously easy.

Why: To help us learn from each other and help prep cars for fall/winter weather. Possibly other associated mods/small fixes.

I have some small fixes, mainly touch-ups and I'm hoping someone has a spare steering wheel or something sitting around because mine is really bad and I'd like to get the side window trim on both doors repainted if possible and my brake regen switch barely stays in along with a few other things.

I'm hoping people have spare parts they wouldn't mind parting with since I'm on a low budget and I need to replace a few minor things.

How: By signing up - and being there! Learn from and talk to some of the most experienced Insight owners on the East Coast!

Not even sure what I'd even ask, not even sure I'd be comfortable asking anything, I'm not very social.

Hoping to enjoy the company of several Upstate New York G1 fans, New Englanders, Floridians, Georgians, Mid-Westerns, and hey, West Coasties and Canadians would be most welcome!

I'm from Nevada, would you count me as the West Coastie? I'm in Virginia as a student.

Menu is TBD, but likely morning donuts/coffee, typical American BBQ, Veggy tray, cold beverages...etc (We usually pitch in $15-$20 to help offset these expenses.)

Not sure if I can afford to pitch in money, but I have no problem not eating. I'm on a super tight budget.

Prizes for: Best Mods, Highest Mileage car attendee, SECOND Lowest mileage attendee (sorry DogBite! LOL), Longest Traveling Attendee, People's Choice Car.

Not going to win Best mods, highest mileage, lowest mileage, maybe longest traveling (Marion, VA).. Maybe on the long distance, but likely not (You'd make me happy if you counted my home of Las Vegas, NV :) ). People's choice.. Again, likely not, my car needs a few touch ups.

Please reply with attendance intent confirmation, questions, suggestions, volunteering or sponsorship offers, etc, just keep it positive! :)
Mark me and my citrus down as a maybe for now. If someone could convert a PSU into a grid charger, I'd be there without question as that would save me money (Depending on the wattage/ cost of the PSU, assuming a computer PSU can be converted into a grid charger).

I got a discount offer from the member on here that sells the things, but I wasn't able, even with discount to afford that because it would be a huge chunk of what money I have to live on and that isn't much.

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Quite a trip from Marion. I see you were in Staunton for a while. Do you have a friendly waylay there? It is a quick shortcut from New Market on I81, just over the mountains, to Manassas.
Mark me and my citrus down as a maybe for now. If someone could convert a PSU into a grid charger, I'd be there without question as that would save me money (Depending on the wattage/ cost of the PSU, assuming a computer PSU can be converted into a grid charger).
Unfortunately, I doubt this is workable. Someone would have done it by now.

There is an inexpensive way to get a grid charger. Order the parts online from DigiKey and solder it together yourself. Total cost is just less than $100. Folks put it in fancy cases and such, but I saw one guy just screw the components down to a board. Someone on here had a schematic and parts list. I'll see if I can find the link. You really do need a grid charger to promote good battery health:)

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Grid Charger Topic Moved

Grid Charger Topic Moved to 1st Gen Modifications and Technical Issues Section.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts