Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, well I think we need to have another big meet at my place.
http://99mpg.com/Workshops/newenglandhybridfe/

I am crazy busy trying to tie up the rest of the aspects of my solar install, so I can get the full benefit, and need to continue the progress on Rays Lithium pack design and construction, as well as the million other projects on the list, but I have to admit it was really nice to get so many hybrid fans together, so I am offering to host another event.

I am thinking that the same approximate time of year would be good for me.
I have committed to present my Plugging Into The Sun workshop at both Solarfest SolarFest | 20th Year – July 18-20, 2014 – Tinmouth VT , and the garlic and arts festival North Quabbin Garlic & Arts Festival | Two Days of Peace, Love and Garlic! Sept 27-28
so August looks good.
Open to suggested dates, so we don't conflict with other gatherings.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Soooo tempting to go. Must... resist....

If I go, my son will make me drive the van there so he can kidnap Sparkie the Robot back to Wisconsin!

Plus, now that we fixed a dead pinball machine at our home, he will want to clear off your pinball machine and get it up and running!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
NE hybrid fest when?

No response? guess people will get enough socializing at the other gatherings?
We can have the event on August 8-9-10, or 15-16-17, or 22-23-24

Like last year, my big yard will be available for camping out, and we have plenty of indoors space for sleeping bags, and one fold out bed that Jime has used for the last 2 years.

Instead of me picking a weekend, if anyone has a preference, here is your chance to lock in a date to your liking.

People that will attend please put down your name and preferred date.
Mike D
Eric P & son ?
Ian?
Paul Provost ?
Jim E(any of 3 dates)

·
Super Moderator
7,149 Posts
Mike, I don't know why folks don't respond promptly. I suspect that lots of folks only read the forum once/week or so. I also have the same problem getting responses for the Mid-Atlantic meet. It is a frustration to an organizer. One thing I've found helpful is to build a group e-mail list for the meet and remind folks that way. Apparently folks read their e-mail more frequently than IC. Go figure;)

I know of one other long distance guy who attended last year and plans to attend this year, so there are folks out there who will most certainly attend.

I don't think that folks "burn out" on the meets. Since the 3 meets being discussed are far apart, I'd just expect a mostly different set of folks at each meet. I am one of those guys who really looks forward to the New England meet.

·
3,641 Posts
The 25-26-27 August dates are best for my calendar. I would love to be able to drive my citrus there, otherwise I may have to tag along with someone. I really enjoyed my first NE event last year!

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
I hope I haven't missed all of the excitement. Count me in and I'll make room on my schedule for it. 25-27 is fine for me as are the other two weekends.

I actually got outside for a few days while the weather was nice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Isn't august 25-27 a mon-wed? I vote for the weekend of August 16-17. Why? Friday August 15 is the Boston one gallon challenge. A 100 mile eco race to Boston trying to only use one gallon of fuel. There will be many one off homebuilt high mpg cars entering, mostly three wheelers. A few Ecommoded cars hypermiling too. I highly suggest reconsidering the date.

Boston GreenFest 2014

I might enter it this year. And it would provide good synergy with the New England meet. We might even be able to get some of more unique entrants to stop on by at the NE hybrid meet during the weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
reset

Sheepdog44

You are correct, I must have been looking at the wrong years calendar. DUH!
That event looks like something that a lot of the insight guys would like to see.

Lets run the dates by people again and see if we can be as accommodating as possible.
Maybe we can get our current two time champ Joel to enter his Insight as well.
I hope to have Rays battery in his car long before then, and with him having some practice time,with his 20AH lithium pack, and MIMA he could give them a run for their money.
Lets vote for one of these:
Aug 15-16-17
Aug 22-23-24
Aug 29-30-31

MikeD
freezin4
WillS
Paul Provost
Jime

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Sheepdog44

You are correct, I must have been looking at the wrong years calendar. DUH!
That event looks like something that a lot of the insight guys would like to see.

Lets run the dates by people again and see if we can be as accommodating as possible.
Maybe we can get our current two time champ Joel to enter his Insight as well.
I hope to have Rays battery in his car long before then, and with him having some practice time,with his 20AH lithium pack, and MIMA he could give them a run for their money.
Lets vote for one of these:
Aug 15-16-17
Aug 22-23-24
Aug 29-30-31

MikeD
freezin4
WillS
Paul Provost
Jime
Mountain driver (Bob) Aug 15-16-17

Oops, sorry for the double post. I see I need instruction on how to add to the list.

·
Super Moderator
7,149 Posts
I am free on all three weekends under discussion. I would just point out that the last of the three weekends is Labor Day weekend, so traffic in the northeast is likely to be very heavy. That would be a problem for me since I have to drive through most of it. I'd cast my vote for either Aug 15-16-17 or Aug 22-23-24.

Same is true for freezin4, but he could give that a shot if he likes;) I certainly won't speak for him.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
One Gallon Challenge

After reading the intro to the One Gallon Challenge

I think we insight appreciators need to show them the first production car that has already met what they say they
are looking for

"light weight, have good aerodynamics, and use very efficient propulsion systems to stretch the energy which fuels them, while at the same time allowing passengers the safety and comfort we insist on. "

The One Gallon Challenge is a chance for everyone to get a look at some ultra-economical vehicles and to see them perform in real-life conditions. These vehicles will travel from their respective "homes" to Boston GreenFest on Friday, August 15th, the opening day of Boston Greenfest 2014, to see how they travel to Boston on the energy of one gallon of gasoline. The application process is now open and will remain open until Friday, August 1st.

My place is about an hour from the city hall plaza which is where the Alt Wheels festival was held.
I can see our gathering of 20-30 New England Hybrid gathering insights driving into the City Hall plaza and I bet we have some MPG numbers in the group that will be very impressive, and the average will be the only fleet average of high mileage vehicles.
Could be fun, and we would not have to stay all afternoon.
The down side, used Insights may get hard to find.

If I had some weekend warriors that were willing to pitch in, we could get the e-wheel and booster batteries back in my Insight.
Would need a couple of weeks before the event to get it back together and running. then I could bring the batmobile back from the parts bin.
Thoughts?
If people think it is something we wanted to do in a group, I can contact the organizer and see what they think?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think it's a great idea. One day to show off our cars, and the weekend to socialize and do Insight stuff. I met a new owner a week ago that's interested in the NE meet.

If i recall, the contestants park free in the square to show off their cars for the day. I would talk to the organizer about having all 20 or so of our cars there. It be might be a logistic problem, and paid parking is expensive in Boston. Maybe double up on cars.

They would probably appreciate if we took some initiative and did some self organization ourselves, maybe a display or something. Last year or the year before, some elements were a little spotty i was told.

Typically, the idea is to do 100miles, but leaving from Mikes place and doing the 60 or so miles to Boston trying to get 100mpg would suffice. It's not a very "strict" letter of the law competition. Typically there's two major start points aproximately 100 miles or more or so west of Boston in north and South mass. The route is planned amongst the contestants, and the caravan of cars usually takes rural routes around the smaller towns. As i said, it's a casual "gentlemans" competition.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
We have lots of time before the sign up. so lets see how the signup goes for the gathering, and then, when we have a better number and more peoples opinions, we can contact them. I was thinking about an Insight caravan to the plaza, we stay for a couple of hours to check things out, then return here, that way we would not hog the parking area. I expect they will have the place pretty full of vendors that are selling stuff, so parking 20 insights may not fit into their plans, but I can try to sell them on the idea.

MikeD
freezin4
WillS
Paul Provost
Jime
Mountain Driver
Sheepdog44

·
3,641 Posts
This gets more exciting with every post! GeoCougar where are you? Gonna need a good navigator for the FE run again...:)
JimE, I need your wisdom to get my citrus back together, or else I may need to borrow your passenger seat :) or maybe from Cobb, John O, Bob, or Victor? I'm sticking out my thumb to hitch a ride. (But hopefully get some love at the Mid Atlantic Meet and get my car back on the road in a month or two.)
Mike, I would be able to make the weekend of the 15th also, but I couldn't get on the road until late on the 15th or early on Saturday (16th), due to a retirement ceremony.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts