Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just bought a 2014 Honda Insight brand new. Anyone have a source for the service Manual to put on CD? I see there is one for the 2001 to 2006 version? Thanks for all the help, Jeff

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It wouldn't be much different from the 2013 manual which you can find at Honda Insight Owners Manuals | JustGiveMeTheDamnManual.com
(I'm not the first to post this link, but I couldn't find the original post which I thought I had bookmarked...)

Now I tried downloading that but it takes minutes (??) It might be my PC or the time of year, but chances are it is slow and you wouldn't want to wait that long.
So here's a link to an older manual that loads (relatively) fast: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/M81111/M81111OM.pdf

HTH Bart

EDIT My bad, this is the owners manual. Wouldn't know where to find a service manual.

EDIT The latest owners manual online and quite some info straight from the horses mouth: http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2014/Insight/manuals.
Probably not what you're looking for, but still worth a look.
Also available for other MY; just change the year in the link.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated

They have done service manuals for Honda and other manufacturers for years. While they may still print manuals, they seem to have gone to an online subscription model now.

I do want to point out that while you have had several Hondas (I think you said that?) Those were far simpler vehicles that a hybrid will be. You now own a car that may need software updates for instance. So you might want to do a little dealer service. Not because you can't do it yourself or need it for the warranty, but to vet some local dealers so you know where to go when you really need to. Look for presidents awards for service excellence. That means complains are low and satisfaction high. A good dealer can go to bat for you with Honda for out of warranty repairs. I have had it happen, saving me thousands.

Another thing about service: this new Honda has an oil life meter that really works. Go by it. Do not change the initial oil fill early. You gain nothing and may be dumping some polymers the factory wants in there until they say to replace it. That will be at least 8,000 miles and could be 10,000.

That said, do change the CVT fluid earlier that the MID says. Like every second oil change. (I think the MID will set the code for that after 3 or 4 changes)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Service Manual

Thanks for the info. What is the term "MID" I keep hearing? I am assuming that's the service schedule? I have the Helms manual for the older Honda's and always got it when I bought any cars. A manual is a great general reference for a do-it-yourselfer and while I know that this car is much more technical than my 2000 & 2001 models, I do like to do my own oil changes, filter and plug replacement. I would always buy the Helms manual. I would think that somebody has to have a repair guide such as Helms, Chiltons, Haynes or Motor besides on-line references. I will keep looking and report my findings here.

You also mentioned the CVT fluid and I had this changed once on my Accord at about 60,000 miles. For this car, you guys are mentioning to change it after every other oil change? I do oil changes at about 5000 miles and use synthetic oil. I am perplexed at the frequency of the change (wow)?

I did take the bumper to bumper extended warrenty out on the car for 7 years/70000 miles.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
MID refers to the little 2 inch tv screen in the middle of the tach.

Multi Information Display?

I purchased a service and electric manual on ebay for 50 bucks. Since they are for a trained tech, they omit a lot of basic stuff for the backyard mechanic. You tube has a lot of good info too.

The Insight uses a friction pack vs torque converter and that generates a lot of trash to circulate in the fluid. Changing it every other oil change makes for better smoother performance.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well, now you are going to use science to time oil changes. Dumping perfectly good oil on a strict miles elapsed basis is so 20th century! I am completely serious about leaving that factory oil in until the MID shows 10% life remaining. My second oil change was at about 18k. That is when I decided to have the CVT fluid changed. That is when the CVT designer said it should be done. It made the trans much smoother. Changing the fluid is as easy as changing the oil. You should only use real Honda fluid. A normal drain and fill gets most of the fluid replaced. A traditional Honda automatic just draining only gets about 1/3 of the fluid. Do you use fresh crush washers on your drain plugs and torque to spec? See, there are things it pays to be obsessive about, oil interval is just no longer one of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Info

Hello,

First off thanks for the MID definition. I appreciate the explanation.

I was able to find the Helms Service Manual via my Honda dealer parts guy. He was a real help and pointed me in the right direction. He said that the service manual is the 2012 Service Manual and that covers all the Gen 2 models. I will call Helms tomorrow to verify and also the Honda Service Center when I pick the car up tomorrow. The Helm part I got is 61TM802 and is 2 books at $150. I will report the findings to you guys on both accounts.

Thanks for the info on the CVT. I am also going to talk to the service guys to get their perspective on this. It sounds reasonable and I guess these trannys are much different from the originals. I will get about four of those crushed washers for the oil and if the CVT has one, I will get that also.

All the best and thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I believe there are some minor changes for the 12 on run. Us 10 owners notice improvements in cvt operating with frequent fluid changes. Its not required but once, but its something we learned. Change it too frequently and you waste money and time. Dont change it enough and you have accelerated wear, thermal and performance issues.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Its 3 qts, 10 bucks a qt. The drain plug is on the drivers side by the wheel. There is a little plastic plate to remove to get to it with 4 philip head screws.

Back shortly after the i2 was released in the US someone up the food chain in Japan and Honda said the cvt fluid needs to be changed at 12,000 km due to the clutch pack. I had like 17 thousand miles when I read that and changed it at that time. It was black and full of gunk on the magnetic drain plug.

I also changed the inline filter to the oil cooler and basically changed it at every oil change since. Only once it looked cleaned and I believe I wasted 3 qts of fluid.

I decided to go from honda cvt fluid to eneos synthetic. Ran well, loved it. inline cooler filter was leaking when changed oil in engine. Ended up changing filter and cvt fluid back to honda brand. Yup, it was black and full of crap. :mad:

Maybe I screwed up, but I had an enjoyable time for a year and shifting through on manual mode.

For the gen 1 the failure point is the metal band. Unaware of any cvts wearing out early short of a 2 the dealer said was a manufacture problem.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Use the oil minder in the MID. Don't change the original engine oil until the MID says it's time to do it. That part is written in the owner's manual.

Cobb has a lot of good experience with this car. CVT performance has been notably better when the trans oil is changed every other engine oil change. You'll be able to notice the decline in performance on take offs from stop when it starts to feel a bit jerky upon engagement.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again Foresight.
Do you also wait for the MID to advise when to do an oil change also? About how many miles is that?
Also do you change the CVT after two oil changes?

Thx much!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I change my oil at about 20%. This is when I start to hear extra knocks, ticks, rattles, clickings and other engine noise that use to not be there before. Once I change the oil they all go away and its back to sounding like a singer sewing machine. :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
I haven't had it long enough to find out how many miles it takes... still has a ways to go on the initial oil. Will try to last to 10% or so. It's around 78% or so at moment.

Will probably go with Cobb's suggestion on CVT oil change every other time I do the oil. I drive it pretty gently, so will see what condition the CVT oil is when the time comes and also how it is performing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Followup

Good Info guys. I am real curious on where this puts the mileage at? You guys are right, I need to rethink my 4000 mile oil change mentality especially with Synthetic Oil.

I will be using Mobil 1 in any case. Honda uses a semi-synthetic oil in their initial oil. That's an interesting note. I do believe I saw Mobil 1 now in 0-20. That's an easy choice at Walmart down here for about 23 bucks for 5 quarts.

I like the Purolator filters and found that the replacement to the Honda 15400PLMA02 is the Purolator L14610.

Cobb, from what you guys are describing the CVT fluid is as easy as doing an oil change?

I did order the Helm Service Manual and the number of the 2012 Manual is 61TM802. I think I posted this earlier. I went to Honda Service and spoke to the service manager. He advised that he checked with parts and there is very little difference (if any) between the 2012 and the 2014 models. The parts were the same. Since this is the last year they are making for the Insight in print, I went for the manual. It was a 150 bucks but certainly a must for a do-it-yourselfer. I dont do big jobs but can do fluid changes, brake jobs and belts. I did take the extended warranty on this car.

I am really glad to have found this forum. You guys are a wealth on Information! :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Honda has been using oil life monitoring since 2005 at least. I think GM first started it. With a computer on board many things can be known. Among the items used to determine oil life are: (but not limited to) How many starts, how many cold starts, how many miles driven each start, outside temp, coolant temps, and of course miles driven. The older Hondas had a 7500 mile interval, with the Civic being 10,000. So using up oil has been an idea for a while. I think you will find that oil life will reach 10-15 % somewhere between 8000-9000 miles and 0% (which you can safely go to) at about 10,000. I suggest you Google oil life monitoring or oil change interval and read the current thinking of experts. If anything they found, sending out the oil for analysis, that the oil life monitor is conservative. Used oil changed at 8-10k had at least another 2k left in it. Someone even cited a study that showed that too frequent oil changes were actually worse for an engine.

·
Registered
943 Posts
For the last 8 years at least Honda have had a 20,000 km / 12,500 mile or 1 year oil change interval for Civics and Jazz in Europe. They also have the lowest engine failure rate of any manufacturer here by a long way.

If anything then, 10,000 miles may still be over conservative.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It's definitely a brave new world when it comes to oil life and oil change frequency. Europeans have had longer spans between oil changes since I can remember.

Way way back, near the dawn of time :))) when I started driving, dyno oil changes were suggested every 3,000 miles. Now we have a crop of long lasting synthetic oil that can go 15,000 miles and more without causing problems in some engines.

If filtration technology could advance into the 21st century, I could easily imagine synthetic oils that go 100,000 miles between changes. Remember when spark plugs were cooked by the time they reached 20,000 to 30,000 miles?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got Helms Manual

Hello all,
Just wanted to share that I received the Helms Manual for the Insight. I have to say that Helms does a great job and the manual is extensive. It was worth the $150 they charge and has all the information you need for any job you want to do on the car.
I have always gotten the Helms Manuals for all my Honda's and have not been disappointed.
I did look to see if Chiltons, Motor and Haynes had a service Manual to no avail. I figured it might be a cheaper alternative but I have to say that when I received the 2 books from Helms I was quite surprised the extensiveness of the product.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts