·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else seen this?

Plusses:
Sporty again like a Honda should be.
Super aero roofline in the rear
First turbo Honda engine in the US (optional 1.5L turbo)
New suspension
Slight weight loss
Civic hatch is coming back to the US!

Minuses:
That front end. Back looks great, front... naw.
Base engine is 2L. I'd rather see the 1.8L be further improved for economy than a more powerful base (even if economy rating is the same as the old model).

Neutral:
Dash now has a bit of a retro 1980's vibe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/16/2016-honda-civic-official/

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Hmmm... is it just me or are all cars of a similar size converging on a similar shape? The rear end is clearly an effort to maximize aerodynamics. The nearly continuous taper from the roof to the tail helps maximize laminar flow and minimize the turbulence drag bubble in the rear.

I'm going to keep cycling through the pics... I want to like it... :)

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
1.5L Turbo? I wonder what kind of MPG numbers a careful driver could get. Although, I'm sure the manual will have some ridiculous gearing, somewhere in the 4.10-4.55 range.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to an article I read, the turbo will only be available on the CVT.

Boo.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, it should be interesting to see how they work out. They are suppose to go to direct injection and possibility a 3 cylinder.

Cant say I like the last or new gen wheels nor the rear end.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why Honda, why.
Probably because they plan to gear the M/T so top gear is turning 3700 rpms @ 70 mph (or some crap) and they want the turbo to get good gas mileage?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Probably because they plan to gear the M/T so top gear is turning 3700 rpms @ 70 mph (or some crap) and they want the turbo to get good gas mileage?
2700rpm at 70 on a MT turbo would be amazing.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I loved that of my tacoma that had the supercharger. With a tank of 93 octane and locked in 4th with od engaged it would make the needle move and push you back in the seat when you gave it more throttle. RPMs didnt budge.:evil:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting news on the 1.5L turbo... looks like some bleedover tech from the Insight. It features a water-cooled, cast-in exhaust manifold like the Insight has (don't know of many engines that do this).

In this video, towards the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPlQ4ggFIpU

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I looked into the new Civic. I was told the 1.5 turbo engine is available with cvt only. For a stick shift you have to go with the 2.x liter engine.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I looked into the new Civic. I was told the 1.5 turbo engine is available with cvt only. For a stick shift you have to go with the 2.x liter engine.
Those were rumors. It's already been confirmed that there will be an MT option, but IMO if it's anything higher than a 3.73 gearing it will not get good FE.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Well, I was fine with the cvt only option thinking it was their way to limit liability of a consumer abusing the drivetrain. Im sure consumer will find other ways.

Notice they said they stopped like 98% of the air leaks into the cabin. I did not know that effected aero or fuel economy that much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts