Honda Insight Forum banner

2017 Accord Hybrid

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ecky 
#1 ·
Have anyone seen the new Accord Hybrid? The drive train takes a Agera route that's almost direct drive.

#3 ·
We all had a chance to drive it last September at InsightFest. It is a very nice car. That non-transmission is very cool.

Sam

#4 · (Edited)
Oh I didn't realize that. I guess because there was a halt in production in 2016 while they moved plants they made a big fuss about it again in 2017 to get people talking about the system again. Good on them, since I totally missed this system the first time they unveiled it. Now I gotta ask to drive my friend's since I always thought his was the same as the previous gen plug in hybrid.

#5 ·
I was also totally confused with the "all new" marketing Honda was putting out. Took a lot of vetting to figure out it's "all new tweaking" to the same fundamental design as 2014-2015 model years. I still have a really hard time remembering the improvements. hyrbidcars.com seems to have the best summary of it:

"Honda improved the 2017 hybrid powertrain in multiple ways over the 2014-2015 model years. The gas engine itself is mostly unchanged, but the two separate stages of the catalytic converter were closely merged next to the engine and the old second stage of the catalytic converter was replaced with Honda’s new first-time exhaust heat recovery system module. This unit, like the one pioneered by Toyota’s Prius and a similar design recently added to the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid, can use heat from the gas engine exhaust to help quickly bring up the engine coolant to its optimal operating temperature to maximize “cold start” engine efficiency and quickly provide cabin heating in winter conditions."

"Honda also redesigned the Accord’s electric motors and inverter circuitry for the new model year. The motors now use square instead of round wire for more space-efficient motor windings similar to Toyota’s new Prius Prime and like General Motors has done in recent years in the Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV, and now Bolt EV. This and other changes shrunk Honda’s motor size and weight by 23 percent while slightly increasing torque output and increasing horsepower by about 8 percent. Another primary goal of these optimizations was to allow use of this hybrid drive in multiple vehicle platforms spanning sedans and minivans. Honda also wanted to reduce the cost by physically shrinking the large motors. In the updated design,the traction motor now runs at near 700 volts which allows for the use of smaller wire windings and increases efficiency. Circuitry steps up the DC voltage from the battery pack’s nominal 266 volts."

"For 2017 the cells, pack, and associated battery circuitry were redesigned which resulted in an overall pack size reduction of 33 percent and a weight reduction of almost 13 percent. This added 0.8 cubic feet of room to the car’s trunk versus the 2014-2015 model year design giving it an extra three-plus inches of depth for a leading 13.5 cubic feet among hybrid mid-size sedans although some of that is in an area above the pack which may be harder to utilize."

Hope that clears it up...I'm still gonna forget the details yet again heh.

The 2014-2015 model years also had a plug-in version with 6.7 kWh battery capable of 13 mile range. There is no plug-in version of the updated accord, and it appears Honda's next plug-in may be based on Clarity platform.

I am also a fan of the 2017 drivetrain from everything I've read about it. Would be pretty trippy to get it in an Insight shell.

#7 ·
insightman must be an ic.net member right?

He has pretty good description and summary of Honda's Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (I-MMD) that replaced IMA for 2014 Accord, and why Honda doesn't slap it on current Civic platform, but wants to optimize it on Clarity platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.