Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fall maintenance day at Lincoln Tech, Saturday, October 14th, 2017 7:30 am - 3.45 pm.

Hello everyone, this post will be updated with the latest information as it becomes available.

It's that time of year again... when the canopies of the honeylocusts begin to be speckled with yellow dots and the yellow poplar leaves begin to look less than excited about life. And Insight owners in the mid-Atlantic region begin to have thoughts of fluid changes, brake work, and underbody inspections.

Come join the rest of your fellow Insighters for a day of fun and... maintenance! at Lincoln Tech, Columbia, MD.

The donation is $15/person and pizza, morning snacks and water will be provided. Please order parts now (sealants, gaskets, hardware, parts). Tools have been available in the past (and there are impact wrenches there), but it is strongly suggested to BYO.

Lincoln tech has a large number of two post lifts and a beautifully spacious indoor facility that is heated/air conditioned so working on your car is pleasant no matter what's happening outside.

Maintenance day is usually followed up with an evening social at a local brewery or bar and duckpin bowling for the brave at heart.

Finally, on the Sunday after, there will be a tour of either the USS Constellation or Fort McHenry if people are interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SAKY9MlAC95zwMkv2mjhg4eJYPqmkfTdkNPY3bpJQzc/edit?usp=sharing

All attendees must:

-Wear long pants, closed-toe shoes, and shirts that are not loose enough to catch on machinery.

-Have a valid driver's license, insurance, and registration for attending cars.

Sam

·
Registered
23 Posts
New owner here, but definitely interested in being there. I need some help knowing what I should bring with me. It will be at approximately the 75,000 mark by mid October. Here is the out of the ordinary stuff that has been done to my vehicle since purchase:

43k: Front brakes and rotors, 2 new tires.
45k: New drive belt, air filter
53k: 2 new tires, spark plugs replaced. Valves adjusted & fuel cleaner additive

Hoping to do the full up 75k maintenance, but hopefully have some scholarly mentors as an assist. Looking very forward to meeting all you mid-atlantic friends.

·
3,641 Posts
These events have been very successful and fun over the past couple of years. I'll be there of course! Thank you Sam.

@ Goatfarmer: I would get some Honda Manual Transmission fluid, and drainplug washer for an easy fluid change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Goat farmer buy the vtec filter and a quick drain oil adaptor,and egr gasket.
I plan on getting the stuff for Fumoto valve. Already got the gaskets ordered for EGR cleaning. Havent read up on much for the VTech Filter? Is this something that usally needs replacing at around 75k? Do you have Majestic Honda links to what I may need and why?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pay ahead of time?

I might consider coming as I had a broken ankle during the weekend of the Madison gathering. Can I get better directions or will Google suffice? Prepay?
If so, to whom?

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I plan on getting the stuff for Fumoto valve. Already got the gaskets ordered for EGR cleaning. Havent read up on much for the VTech Filter? Is this something that usally needs replacing at around 75k? Do you have Majestic Honda links to what I may need and why?
The vetch filter, part #2 here in the majestic Honda listing for "spool valve". The bracket around the spool valve is a pita to get loose, but the rest of job is easy.

Some folk have found this filter clogged after reporting a snapped cam shaft. There's a few threads about the mishaps on here that can be found via 'search'.

Good idea to verify the condition of yours. All mine were clean, and I have the peace of mind I'm not going to snap a cam shaft :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in!!!

Little Blue is looking a little shabby these days. Since the last time I attended, I moved to south Arlington VA. Little Blue absolutely hates the hilly, short urban drives we do most, and my MPG has suffered. Also the clear coat on the hood has started to shed. At the very least, I hope to walk away with some solid recommendations for fixing her up!

My biggest concern is the hesitation when I accelerate from a stop. I recall a procedure you guys showed me, for cleaning out the air intake (?) - is that something which is possible to gather parts and do on site that day? If not, I'll just take notes and take it to a local mechanic.

I might bring along my friend Peter, who isn't on the forum, but talked me into buying the car in the first place.

Can't wait to see everyone!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in!!!

My biggest concern is the hesitation when I accelerate from a stop. I recall a procedure you guys showed me, for cleaning out the air intake (?) - is that something which is possible to gather parts and do on site that day? If not, I'll just take notes and take it to a local mechanic.
Hesitation and jumpiness has been attributed to a clogged EGR Plate/Valve in a few places on here. Definitely something that can be done at the maintenance day. Havent heard about any air intake stuff, but here are the gaskets you will need to pull and clean your EGR plate/valve

On Majestic Honda website/store
INTAKE MANIFOLD page
17146-PHM-004 GASKET, EGR SPACER is the large gasket for putting the plate back together.
17106-PHM-006 GASKET, IN. MANIFOLD are the little O Rings that could also be replaced (not completely necessary). You will need 3 of them

SPOOL VALVE page
18715-PB2-000 GASKET, EGR VALVE (ISHINO GASKET) this is the gasket for putting the EGR Valve back in place.

You could also bring some kind of scraping device and some WD-40 or similar to clean out the pathways in the EGR Plate. I am not as familiar with what is done to the EGR Valve to fix it up and clean it. Hopefully someone can chime in about that, and also double check me :D

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
You could also bring some kind of scraping device and some WD-40 or similar to clean out the pathways in the EGR Plate. I am not as familiar with what is done to the EGR Valve to fix it up and clean it. Hopefully someone can chime in about that, and also double check me :D
I've seen WD-40 used, but I personally think that a spray can of carburetor cleaner from Wal-Mart works better. It is a better solvent than WD-40.

Get started as soon as the bays are available because it takes at least a couple of hours to complete the cleaning job.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I might consider coming as I had a broken ankle during the weekend of the Madison gathering. Can I get better directions or will Google suffice? Prepay?
If so, to whom?
Check with Samwichse, but I think you can pay on arrival.
Any map-ap will work: Lincoln College, 9325 Snowden River Pkwy, Columbia, MD 21046

If you haven't already done so, be sure to add your name to the spreadsheet link in post #1.

I'm in!!!

Little Blue is looking a little shabby these days. Since the last time I attended, I moved to south Arlington VA. Little Blue absolutely hates the hilly, short urban drives we do most, and my MPG has suffered. Also the clear coat on the hood has started to shed. At the very least, I hope to walk away with some solid recommendations for fixing her up!

I might bring along my friend Peter, who isn't on the forum, but talked me into buying the car in the first place.

Can't wait to see everyone!
Glad you can make it Gina. Wondering if Peter is bringing his G1 ;)

If you haven't already done so, be sure to add your name to the spreadsheet link in post #1.

·
3,641 Posts

Lincoln Tech has a parts cleaner. We did Patrick's there last year.
Gina, Unplug EGR valve and see if car runs better. If it does, I'd just get a new one...the ones that interchange from the Honda Accords are reasonably priced. And based on several old reports, many Insight EGR valves were put together wrong, causing early failures.

·
3,641 Posts

If so, to whom?

Hi Ken, it would be great to have you there!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts