Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Event is back on!

Fall maintenance day at York Automotive, 300 S. Main St., Mt Airy MD on Saturday, October 20th, 2018 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. (Main St. consists mostly of old buildings from around the turn of the last century. This building was once a Ford dealership, so the Main St. side was the showroom. The shop is actually on the Hood St. side of the building.)

There are three lifts, so we will want to get some idea early in the day of what each member wants to do on their car. Should be plenty of lifts, just need a bit of scheduling.

Insight events are open to all generation insight owners! Gen 1, 2, and now 3!

It's that time of year again... when summer's dying gasps remind us our AC isn't working so well and that the drab winter comes. But wait! First comes a brightly colored and crisply fresh fall. And the mid-Atlantic region Insight maintenance day! Fluid changes, brake work, and underbody inspections... all the things a motivated person could do to winterize their car. And you could also do them!

Come join the rest of your fellow Insighters for a day of fun and... maintenance!

The donation is $15/person and pizza, morning snacks and water will be provided. Please order parts now (sealants, gaskets, hardware, parts). Tools have been available in the past (and there are impact wrenches there), but it is strongly suggested to BYO.

There will be three lifts and an indoor facility so working on your car is pleasant no matter what's happening outside.

Maintenance day is usually followed up with an evening social at a local brewery or bar and duckpin bowling for the brave at heart.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SAKY9MlAC95zwMkv2mjhg4eJYPqmkfTdkNPY3bpJQzc/edit?usp=drivesdk

All attendees must:

-Wear long pants, closed-toe shoes, and shirts that are not loose enough to catch on machinery.

-Have a valid driver's license, insurance, and registration for attending cars.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Gonna be there! This Is one of the most fun events of the year and the facility is absolutely fantastic. I vote for dinner at that great place we were at last year. Maybe they will give us a riverside table again. Wonderful evening:)

I'll try to get registration table organized - if you want me to do that.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is probably a better place for it :)

Don't forget to RSVP on the sheet if you're planning to attend!

·
Registered
625 Posts
My Insight is almost road worthy, so I may have my son drive the Rusty Whale with the tools. (Would love to have Randy's toad setup on the Whale/Insight, but it costs as much as I've put into this thing!)

Will bring the headlight polishing stuff. Happy to help anyone restore their yellow headlights to near new (using sandpaper and thinned spar urethane to seal) if you are willing to help so that we have a chance to chat and get to know each other.

Also interested in discussing Arduino/Pi-based projects to pursue after the meet is over.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be there with my red 2000 Insight.

How do we send the $15?

This year I don't know what I'll work on, but I'll have all my tools and such. I'll be excited to help everyone else out with their cars. :)
We usually just take up donations at the door.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... I don't see any rules listed about bumping event threads ;-)

To reiterate event is open to ALL Insight owners, gen 1, 2, and 3 if you're looking to change your CVT fluid/filter, this is the time to do it!

It is mandatory to RSVP in the first post's spreadsheet so we can plan snacks/food/afterparty accordingly.
Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure! Include the Google Doc link if you do...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm hoping to be there!

Already ordering things to play with (Pete's OBDIIC&C unit, and Scott's one-piece underbody panel, to start).

If anyone's interested in doing the EGR cleaning procedure, I have a new in box set of gaskets for that job. We determined at last year's event that my car didn't need it. I'll bring them along in case anyone wants them.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to say, but as it stands, this event has been cancelled. At least for this year.

Unless someone has any suggestions on an alternate location... Lincoln Tech is sadly out.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Sad. Can't say I'm really surprised. I've been amazed for the past few years that an employee would give up one of his weekend days to baby sit us. And of course there are the legal issues and risk which are just barely out of sight.

Sad to see the passing of a tradition non-the-less. Thanks Sam for trying.

Jim

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well that's a bummer! I was looking forward to this.

I can't suggest another location, but if anyone wants to meet next weekend, the Family Drive-In in Stephens City, VA is having a classic car event on Saturday September 15th followed by the 1971 film "Two Lane Blacktop". We can't enter our Insights because the cutoff year is 1993. The description says that the show is from 3-7 and the public can enter at 6 PM when the box office opens. I called for clarification and it sounded like they could make accommodations for parking at the second screen, if a few of us want to go there before 6 PM. The cost is $8 per person.

https://visitwinchesterva.com/event/special-movie-showing-and-classic-car-show/
Family Drive-In Theatre

(I also stumbled across a big list of DC area car shows while trying to find more info about the one above: CAPITAL CRUISIN'-- Events & Shows)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Unless someone has any suggestions on an alternate location... Lincoln Tech is sadly out.
I think I posted about this before, but contact the Montgomery College automotive tech department in Rockville explaining the event. Automotive Technology They had tours of the building during a car show last month and I'd think they would be receptive to something like this. Call or email the program director, Debra Anderson: Automotive Technology Faculty and Staff They even have a hybrid course:

·
Registered
19 Posts
:( I'm sad too, as I was actually planning some work for this year. (Last year included some productive work, but it was unplanned and fortuitous.)

I'll stay tuned in case we find another location. Would be happy just to meet up for lunch or something, too.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts