Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Update 1: Prior to doing this, look at post #8 (KLR3CYL). He notes some clearer/better options.

Here is a thread on if you have an issue with the wipers flopping and extending too far on the high speed. On my car, the driver's wiper would "slap" the post going to the roof and the plastic vent cover by the hood.

Steps to fix:

1. Remove wipers - Using a 14mm wrench/socket, remove the nuts holding them down. Try to pry. For me, I put the nut back on a few threads and SLIGHTLY tapped on it while prying on the bottom with a flat head.

2. Remove the plastic cover - This is simply done by prying the it loose. Some tabs may break in the process. I had good luck with a screw driver. The tabs on the bottom are part of the rubber seal (just above the battery).

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3. Now, you have access to the wiper linkage arms. From reading others' posts, it seems that the common wear area is bushing just under my hand (where the arrow is). You can simply pop that off with force. It is a ball and socket type connection.

Just underneath the circle is the other end that needs to be pushed down (popped out of the ball using tools like screwdrivers or whatever else you need). From there, you can just replace the bushing. For me, I bought a bushing kit that I "thought" would work. I had to rig it and plan on getting the right bushing later on. My old bushing was shot and there was so much slop.

4. Here you can see where the bushing is broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5. I actually took the rest of the linkage off as one. This may or may not be necessary for your vehicle. Again, the main issue, to my understanding is "usually" just that 1 bushing, but it's good to inspect the rest.

6. Taking the rest apart just requires a 10mm socket. Nothing special. Remove the longer "plate" as I call it. It has 6 bolts. Those bolts also hold in the individual shafts (for lack of a better term) to the car itself. Everything will now be loose and you can snake it out.

*Before removing the 6 bolts, there are 2 plastic/rubber covers that need to be remove. Penetrating oil and twisting it helps remove them.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
7. After removing it all and inspecting the bushings, driver and passenger shafts, I notice they were "sloppy" due to the clips/rings not being seated. I just pushed them back and used pliers to make sure they were tight again.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8. After you have replaced the bushing, greased it, and completed everything, you can put it all back together in reverse order.

9. For me, the kit I bought didn't have a good fitting bushing, so I ended up using a dremel, making a notch and trying some wire. I then put a zip tie on it and it fit tight. You can save yourself the hassle by getting the right bushing. I plan on getting the right one if I can find it.

10. This kit pictured was the one I bought that didn't have a great fitting bushing. As of right now, it is working for me with my rigging. A lot better and it has fixed the flop/slap.

Hopefully this will help some new members. I'm sure there are different ways to do this. Just a general idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I replaced those bushings before. FYI, I found some alternatives to OEM at NAPA that more or less work. As I recall, it might've been a little tight fitting them into the arm holes, or fitting the ball joint into the bushing, or something, I forget exactly. But they work. They're called "wiper linkage bushings," the part number is 675-1596. The box says they're for a Nissan.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced those bushings before. FYI, I found some alternatives to OEM at NAPA that more or less work. As I recall, it might've been a little tight fitting them into the arm holes, or fitting the ball joint into the bushing, or something, I forget exactly. But they work. They're called "wiper linkage bushings," the part number is 675-1596. The box says they're for a Nissan.
Thank you for this info!

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Thank you for posting.

A couple of comments:

I’ve never had to use a hammer to remove a wiper arm on an Insight. I take off the 14mm nut and then lift it up, like you are going to clean the glass, then just tug up and down and it seems to just pop off the tapered splined shaft.

Second, I’ve removed the cowl vet panel on a number of Insights. I use a forked clip pry tool to spread the pressure when popping the clips. I only pry from the engine compartment side. I would never try to pry or slide a tool in from the windshield side, if you lean wrong or pry putting pressure on the lower part of the glass you may break your windshield.

Scott

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for posting.

A couple of comments:

I’ve never had to use a hammer to remove a wiper arm on an Insight. I take off the 14mm nut and then lift it up, like you are going to clean the glass, then just tug up and down and it seems to just pop off the tapered splined shaft.

Second, I’ve removed the cowl vet panel on a number of Insights. I use a forked clip pry tool to spread the pressure when popping the clips. I only pry from the engine compartment side. I would never try to pry or slide a tool in from the windshield side, if you lean wrong or pry putting pressure on the lower part of the glass you may break your windshield.

Scott
Yeah, I was pulling up as I pried. I wasn't prying hard. Should have put that in the post. Pry tools would be nice.

For some reason, my wipers were very tight on the splines even while pulling up on the wiper. There was some rust and things like that.

I agree your tips are better than mine. I'll update it later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
7. After removing it all and inspecting the bushings, driver and passenger shafts, I notice they were "sloppy" due to the clips/rings not being seated. I just pushed them back and used pliers to make sure they were tight again.
The wipers on my car were juddering badly, andI found the spindle bushes had a lot of wear, although the circlips were in place. The spindles were swollen from rust. The bushes push out fairly easily, and new nylon cylindrical bushes and cleaning up the spindles seem to have cured the juddering.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wipers on my car were juddering badly, andI found the spindle bushes had a lot of wear, although the circlips were in place. The spindles were swollen from rust. The bushes push out fairly easily, and new nylon cylindrical bushes and cleaning up the spindles seem to have cured the juddering.
Thanks for that info. Where did you get the cylindrical bushes? Have a part number. This thread is to help people in the future.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for that info. Where did you get the cylindrical bushes? Have a part number. This thread is to help people in the future.
I made the bushes. From memory, the internal diameter is 12mm, the external approx 16mm. You can get bushes of that size on ebay, but I was in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Igus carries polymeric bearings that a few others have used to service the wiper assemblies.

https://www.igus.com/product/5

Use the dropdown to select part number MSM-1216-15

1 - 14 of 14 Posts