Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Nice! Can you provide some general advise to prevent IGBT overcurrent shutdown?
All that info is in this thread.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/16206-inside-g1-mdm-more-power.html

The jist of it is you need to defeat the FOC overcurrent IGBT line to the MCM.

Cut it and pull the mdm end up to 5v possibly, I can't remember off the top of my head, it's on here..

With FOC disabled the IGBT will stutter briefly in an over current situation as it disables internally for a few ms.
It then resumes, the mod prevents it throwing an IMA light/code.

Obviously all at your own risk. You could blow it so get a spare.

The +60% overcurrent trip generally only occurs in max regen or max assist scenarios at low rpm when the igbt is most stressed.
As the rpm rises along with the back emf from the motor the IGBT stress reduces.

It is insanely aggressive. :) Which may be what you are after.

Don't forget the current hack is a two part mod. This thread describes the MCM side.
The BCM also needs a resistor adding, or if you are using the BCM replacer the relevant switches and config settings.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
All that info is in this thread.
The BCM also needs a resistor adding, or if you are using the BCM replacer the relevant switches and config settings.
Thanks I'll give it a read. Yes, I'm opted into the BCM replacer early buy and planned for the complete package.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like it. Too bad with some smd mosfets or analog switches its not switchable on the fly like the previous external switchable current hack pcb.

·
Administrator
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Can the 2019 version of the current hack with board 1.3 that fits into the back of the MCM be used in place of the older external current hack board ?
Yes.. But you have to install one resistor in the BCM to match your chosen hack level.
The MCM hack board only deals with the MCM current sensors..

If you are using the BCM Replacer then the hack is pre installed and switchable to match the MCM pcb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed a MCM Voltage Hack board from Peter. The difference at 40% is striking. The car gets up to speed so much quicker while maintaining good mileage. Installation took 30 minutes from start to finish (I do have 90% of the bolts missing from the IMA cover and also installed the 150A fuse when I rebuilt my IMA battery). I had some trouble finding the resistor installation location in the BCM, but eventually found the correct spot in this video at the 1 minute mark -
. The drop-on chip is such a good design, there's no way to screw it up!

Thank you to Peter and Bull Dog for keeping the G1 scene active!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes.. But you have to install one resistor in the BCM to match your chosen hack level.
The MCM hack board only deals with the MCM current sensors..

If you are using the BCM Replacer then the hack is pre installed and switchable to match the MCM pcb.
I was trying to find which resistor values one should use for different current levels when hacking the stock BCM. Couldn't find anything definitive documented, but this is what I worked out:

none - 0% (stock resistance 100R)
560R - 20% (total resistance 85R)
240R - 40% (total resistance 70R)
100R - XXX / insanity mode (total resistance 50R)

sound right?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts