Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to thank Erik again for a wonder meet and itching for warm weather and thee future meetings this year ...any news......or ideas brewing...best wishes in a successful California meet that's taking place looking forward to some pictures..and stories

·
Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
I'm thinking.........

We may have some problems with venues, and I'm certainly challenged as an organizer, mid-Atlantic wise:(

Would have to coordinate carefully with daughter.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I just suggested a New England meetup under the Hybrid Socials and Events.

I have a 'cottage' and 40 acres of land in Mid-coast Maine and am happy to host.
Of course, I am talking about a 150 year old cabin on a lake in mid-coast Maine, so solar power. Plenty of space for camping, some shelters, tools, rustic facilities, grills, fishing, boats, dirt road access.

Within 2 miles is a Brewpub, with a giant open lot/field. Tons of camping and hotels within 15 miles.

My local Insight mechanic could be bribed to be onsite.

·
Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
Great news. I have news from Mark Vegh in Frederick, MD that he would love to host us again in his well equipped private racing garage. He has generously hosted us for several years and all those who have attended will remember what great events he puts on. Son wrecked his Insight, but he's still enthusiastic.

I'm kinda lobbying for a spring date, but the call on the date is his. I'll be starting a thread in the events section soon as we have a date.

I'll be moving this thread to the "Meets" section in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great news,,wonder if we could team up some ideas,,insight fest at carslise plus Fredrick weekend maybe,,am in on whatever it turns out,,mark great guy, and yes he puts on a nice spread,,

·
Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
The Frederick Meet is the traditional spring Mid-Atlantic meet at Mark Veghs private garage with lift, in Frederick MD . Been discussing dates with Mark, but nothing certain yet. Once or twice we coupled the Saturday Frederick meet with the Carlisle Car show on Sunday, but attendance has always been pretty light for the car show. The Frederick "lift" day would be a one day event.

I have some challenges on the home front and can only make the Saturday Frederick day so I'm organizing toward that.

If someone wants to take charge of a separate show event, or a social event, then that's commendable but I cannot do that. Hopefully such planning would hold off until we have the Frederick date set soon.

·
Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
I think it is still too early to tell if we will be able to have a meet. Maryland is still just in phase 1 of their reopening, so there is still a lot of risk as the state tries to reopen. Though the meets are actually private parties, with no mandatory need to attend whatsoever, it it only wise to adhere to the state reopening guidelines. In all likelihood social gathering limits would have to apply, as well as masks and social distancing. It will be a major challenge - if possible at all.

There is also the question of whether anyone wants to attend under the advertised guidelines????????????

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Another issue is enforcing those guidelines at the event. That sounds like a crappy job for whoever is in charge.

Latest news in my state is max 50 people. Social distancing required, etc. Even going out to dinner could be tricky. Limit of people here is 6 per table.

I would feel terrible if someone got sick from one of the events.

·
Administrator
11,459 Posts
It seems sad but sensible to me to put it all off till next year.
IF with restrictions etc just won't be feasible IMHO and a clear liability and policing nightmare for the organiser.

The Canadian holiday I had planned that originally clashed with IF has been binned :(
But even if I wanted to come over now which is unlikely with all the restrictions,
the actual feasibility of getting there and doing useful stuff is highly doubtful.

Let's wait until things settle down. Just my two penneth. Make it bigger and better next year.

·
Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
Yeah, sadly it isn't looking very hopeful, even for the fall. Lots and lots of problems. Lots of folks aren't even out of their houses yet and from what I'm seeing in the news, I'm concerned about a second wave.:(

The Insight community has a fair number of senior citizens, so a meet sorta seems right now like a ticking time bomb.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,658 Posts
The CDC guidelines say the most likely transmission is via air droplets from talking, coughing, and sneezing. The CDC website also says to wear facial coverings when out in public, and that more vulnerable populations should really avoid social activities. Elsewhere on the CDC website they recommend no events of 250 or more people, unless local restrictions are placed on smaller numbers of people.

So if IF2020 were to proceed in some form, going by the CDC's recommendations, we would
  • Need to cap attendance at 250 or whatever local limit is set (this shouldn't be an issue for us)
  • Recommend anyone in higher risk groups (asthma, immunocompromised, etc) not attend
  • Have to have the event primarily take place outdoors, and face coverings worn
  • May need to think about restrictions on shared surfaces? (In the past for example the pizza counter comes to mind)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts