Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's OFFICIAL. The Mid-Atlantic Maintenance and Social Day is scheduled for May 16th in Frederick, MD. The event will be generously hosted by member needforspeed(Mark) at his private racing garage, complete with lift. As those who have attended any of the previous 4 years, this a superb event with lots of opportunity to put your car on the life, make repairs, do maintenance, and get competent advice, and socialize. Last year, we got lift time for all who wanted it.

In each prior year, the event has ended with a well attended evening gathering for pizza or fast food - self pay. Great opportunity to swap tales and Insight tips.

The cost will be announced later, but it has always been modest - by modern standards. It has been our objective to make no money, but lose no money. The final cost/member is primary the cost of the noon meal, whatever that may be.

The day will start at 8 a.m. with registration, coffee and breakfast at the Frederick Coffee Company. This is traditional from earlier years and has proven to be a wonderful opportunity to to socialize and swap tales before the real day starts. We will then caravan across town to Mark's place about 9 a.m.

More details later, but mark your calendar.

Attending:
1. needforspeed
2. jime
3. Honda hybrid442
4. Natalya ?
5. Sean
6. Gasoline Fumes?
7. Mountain driver?
8. russelc

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We gonna have to beat the bushes some with the information. Only a couple of months to get the word out. I'll send out some emails and PMs to wake up the community. Fee free to contact any new folks you think interested.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I guess I'm a maybe too. I have a few Insight issues to sort out before taking a long trip.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm in.

I just now saw this post for the first time. And this may be why we're not seeing more people: I am finding myself looking at the notification icon (which appears when there is a new alert) and checking those a lot more than the "new posts". I will check notifications first and if time, will then check new posts.

To fix this, the admins should request the site owners to add a feature to let them mark a post as a "alert" for all users, that lights the notification icon, for things like this. But it would need to be used rarely. For example, it would be used for firm notifications of upcoming events like this one where event details are communicated, and not used for "at the end of March there will be a notification for a big event", where the details are not firm.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Doesn't the "+Follow" the thread button do the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the announcement slips off the "popular" page pretty quickly. I agree that we need a better way for actively planned and scheduled events. I'm not sure what folks who are using the "new" page are seeing.

I just e-mailed my 5 Insight "groups" so that will help. I have also PMed a few folks who I could identify in the MD, PA, VA, DC area.

We can all help by making sure that folks we personally know are aware of the event.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The day will start at 8 a.m. with registration, coffee and breakfast at the Frederick Coffee Company. This is traditional from earlier years and provides a wonderful opportunity to socialize. We will then caravan across town to Mark's place about 9 a.m.

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would love to have you both. I'll put you down.

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadly, I'm beginning to realize that our meet is probably at risk of cancellation due to the coronavirus. I'm personally quite elderly with underlying conditions, as all my friends know, and am at high risk. I won't likely attend. I know that Doug our magical chef is also older. Since there are still two months until the event, and a short preparation period, it isn't necessary to cancel just yet, but that should be in our consideration.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
237 Posts
Count me in, should be able to be there with my Insight. I've also let Karl in York know if he didn't already know.

Roger

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sadly, I'm beginning to realize that our meet is probably at risk of cancellation due to the coronavirus. I'm personally quite elderly with underlying conditions, as all my friends know, and am at high risk. I won't likely attend. I know that Doug our magical chef is also older. Since there are still two months until the event, and a short preparation period, it isn't necessary to cancel just yet, but that should be in our consideration.

Thoughts???
I am very aggressively hoping that warmer weather by then will get us out of cold, flu, and Flu from Hades season, but recently reading how people should be in self-quarantine mode for 8 weeks has that period extending basically right to the Meet. Insufficient data at this time, but delaying it a month or two (or heaven forbid more if needed) could however make a very great deal of sense.

Roger

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With considerable sadness, we have to postpone the 2020 Mid-Atlantic Insight Maintenance Day and Social. Mark and I just talked and May 16th is just too early to have any visibility into the state of the Pandemic. We're are holding open the possibility of doing the meet in the fall, if the dangers subside by that time. No one is more sorry than me. This has always been a high point in my "Insight" year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
With considerable sadness...
I've been researching the 1918 "Spanish Flu" pandemic and its impact on towns local to me and have found that the most successful "activity bans" (as they were then called) lasted at least 2 months. That's my family's absolute minimum duration of isolation, even if we get an official "all clear" before then.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am very aggressively hoping that warmer weather by then will get us out of cold, flu, and Flu from Hades season, but recently reading how people should be in self-quarantine mode for 8 weeks has that period extending basically right to the Meet. Insufficient data at this time, but delaying it a month or two (or heaven forbid more if needed) could however make a very great deal of sense.

Roger
If that were the case, as many of us would logically think, then put your minds at ease. It’s summertime in Brazil. People are getting infected like crazy. They don’t care. Why? Dengue, malaria, Zika, and other diseases since the beginning of time there. Perhaps now they may change their thinking. It will be worse than Italy for them. It already is.
Sorry to be the bearer of ****e news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts