Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rolling a couple of things over in my head and would like to get some discussion going. I think I have a pair of options which would be attractive and would get out Mid-Atlantic community going again.

First, sometime the near future, we could have a mostly social day up at Gambrill State Park near Frederick. They have open sided shelters for groups. It would be open air so be very COVID safe. I've organized events there in the long past. We would be able to cook burgers and dogs, have lunch, do so tech talks and have lots of time to socialize and look over car mods, new additions, etc. We could also do parts sales/ swaps if we kept the stuff in the rear hatch.

Later in the fall, say end of October, I think I can organize a full maintenance day with life, like we have been doing, but that is a little more shakey. The COVID threat is still expected to be alive at some low level and I don't think everyone is getting the shots. It would have to all be handled very carefully and I might limit it to those who have been vaccinated(present cards please).

Anyway, I could use some feedback and expressions of interest. Please comment soon :D

BTW, I'm 83 this year. I won't be able to do this much longer. We need seriously to think of who might take over the organizing for the Mid-Atlantic. I'm ready to pass the torch on that:)

JimE

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
645 Posts
Jim, What's the probable location for a fall maintenance day? I'll see if we can get a convoy down from N NJ.

+1 on cards and I'd even say masks as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with maintenance days is alway lining up a lift. I have a couple of options, both near Frederick, MD. I just haven't firmly nailed that down yet. My best option on a lift is a friend who is working with a pro racing team. I need to check and see when their last race occurs and negotiate a date on his busy calendar.

The social meets at Gambrill's are always fun also. How would your folks feel about doing that also?

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
645 Posts
For me, it is probably too far, but I referee youth soccer on weekends, so would be sacrificing income, thus one trip is reasonable whereas two might be prohibitive. Was hoping I could squeeze in a little socializing on a maintenance day.

Plus, it is a hair over 3.5 hrs to Frederick, MD from me. That makes for a long day down and back in one shot.

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on venue, the maintenance day is likely to be just outside Mt. Airy, MD and therefore a few minutes closer to you. We'll see what works out.

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, just had my birthday. Still excited about Insights, but I have had to develop special techniques to get in and out :D

Reactions: Arbus

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,049 Posts
I'm interested! I'm Fully Vaxxed™️ and willing to drive. Are there particular time frames y'all are looking at -- summer and fall? Also, would anyone be willing to put me up for a night ? Last time I slept in my car, which wasn't exactly comfortable lol.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
JimE - late congrats on the birthday! Best wishes for many more! Thanks for everything you do here on IC.net....

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT, 2001 Honda Insight MT, 2000 Honda Insight MT
84 Posts
JimE,

Happy belated birthday!!!!

I'm interested in attending both. I look forward to meeting up with the enthusiast in this group....

I've owned one for 15 years straight and have added two more...so about time I went to a meet... :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I’d be interested but I won’t be getting vaccinated. I’m also a vegan and have no interest in eating any dead animal parts, yuck!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have a two car garage and a long driveway up in Dillsburg .Pa ..id be willing to set up a east coast meet on a weekend..be nice to hang out again..keep us posted ..and Happy birthday Jime...

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll come:D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yep, just had my birthday. Still excited about Insights, but I have had to develop special techniques to get in and out :D
You might be a good candidate for an air suspension then. I hear that Julian's can raise up about an inch or two which doesn't sounds like a lot but that would certainly help. Another option that would probably be easier is taller tires and a shorter transmission to even it out.

You could always just Red Green Show it and put some kind of electric scissor jack mounted somewhere out of the way and with a remote control, just lift it up a few inches to get in and then lift them out of the way when you're done or maybe some bottle jacks fed with an electric hydraulic pump, something of that nature.

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You got me thinking. On race cars they use air jacks. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts