Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
IIRC these are Dzus fasteners (Dzus fastener - Wikipedia) and may be difficult to find. But, for $24 maybe I'd whittle one out of white pine. Kidding, of course. I think that these Dzus fasteners are rare.

Nope, google them and they are there! Getting the right one should be easy. But I really would like to ask the guy what it is about his Dzus fastener that makes it so valuable.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Go for it, ask away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have one sitting on my desk. I'll part with it for only $20! :)

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just replace them with M6 clip nuts and bolts for maybe $2 a set of four. Just remember to toss a matching wrench into the tool bag.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
OK ...............I sent a question to the E bay seller about the screw price?
"Are you serious about the skirt screw price?"
I'll let you know if I get a reply.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I recently hit a pothole so hard that the fender skirt detached completely from the car EXCEPT it remained attached only by the Druz fasteners. (It is possible that it was not properly reinstalled after a recent inspection - I had made a point to remove the skirts before the inspection, and completely forgot.)

How often are these fasteners lost on the road from working loose, or is there no way to tell because the last mechanic may have not installed them correctly or lost them and tried some random screw which eventually fell off?

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
449K miles, and no lost skirts. I ALWAYS do my own removal and installation of the skirts.
A slight outward pull on the skirt after installation and tightening of the screw will tell you if it is on tight.
"Don't nobody mess with my skirts".

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Wow! I never knew my junk was so valuable. I have one in much better shape. Only $25 plus shipping.;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I recently hit a pothole so hard that the fender skirt detached completely from the car EXCEPT it remained attached only by the Druz fasteners. (It is possible that it was not properly reinstalled after a recent inspection - I had made a point to remove the skirts before the inspection, and completely forgot.)

How often are these fasteners lost on the road from working loose, or is there no way to tell because the last mechanic may have not installed them correctly or lost them and tried some random screw which eventually fell off?
The same skirt hanging by the Dzus fasteners happened to me. The girl in the pay window of BK told me. I had just been at Costco for tire rotation and apparently the fellow who did the work did not know how to put the skirts back correctly. QED Since then I have had two guys at Costco assure me they knew how to replace the skirts. And they were right, thankfully.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Actually, at this point I have to relate something told to me by klr3cyl. Though the capacity of the uninitiated to install them incorrectly is near infinite, there is a small trick to keep your socks up - rather, your spats.

Scot showed me once this small trick. The "hooks" along the top get loose over time. Give them a small tap with a small hammer to bend them inward a little. There should be some tension provided by the hooks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had the opposite issue with the hooks. I've had to bend them out to catch the skirt.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
I've had the opposite issue with the hooks. I've had to bend them out to catch the skirt.
Oh, I'm sure. The hooks are so soft it would be easy to have one or two of them off in either direction. The point is that they should put enough tension on the spats to hold them up. The Dzus don't really hold the spats up, so it the hooks are loose, the spat will drop and pop out at the top.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Way back, .... long before this website changed owners... and soon after I joined Insight Central... there were those who wanted wheel-skirt fasteners. After search, I found a manufacturer, and
took orders for the fasteners.. There were a lot of 'takers'. Sold out the number which had been made. Wish I had the information, now. Perhaps there'd be enough Insight owners to have another
order manufactured. Alas.. I don't have that information... and that which was on the old website
isn't available... (or so we're told.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts