Honda Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hmm...My assumption was that Honda designed the car to have a tear drop shape and purposely gave the rear a narrow track width as part of the tapering strategy. I saw zero change in mileage w/the spacers added but I've never seen much over 60mpg on average the way I drive.
Body tapering yes, whilst meeting the max in service tyres size/snow chains clearance to the skirts.... but at the expense of tyre frontal area.

With spacers I guess we can have both as we would check tyre clearance ourselves / use known RE92s

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've always dreamed of either a lift, or a pit that you could drive over and simply work underneath your car. That would've ben cool too.
I'm also jealous of your lift. I'm about due an oil-change on my Insight and one of the problems with this car is that bit of plastic underneath the engine for aerodynamics. What a pain to remove while your on your back on the floor with the car inches above your head.
I am not looking forward to it.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I'm about due an oil-change on my Insight and one of the problems with this car is that bit of plastic underneath the engine for aerodynamics. What a pain to remove while your on your back on the floor with the car inches above your head.
Fumoto Oil Change Valve - no need to remove the plastic aero panels.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My question is this... With your spacers, I understand it's hub bore will be on par with the stock hub center. Thus making the spacer hubcentric.

But, when you put the wheel on the spacer, does the wheels hub bore rest like it's suppose to on the hub of the spacer? Thus making the wheels ALSO hubcentric?

This is important as you want to try to ALWAYS make sure the wheel is NOT lugcentric.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Take a look at the picture in the link below. There's a separate ring in the middle of the spacer that protrudes into the center of the wheel and fits quite tightly. I believe its job is to engage on the center of the wheel so the wheel is hub-centric, not lug-centric.

ICHIBA Version 2 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers 25MM

Before you get too excited about these spacers, understand that they didn't improve the cornering performance of the car at all as far as I can tell. They did help with the rutted highway "tram-lining" issue and they improved the aesthetics in my opinion. Handling-wise, a wider rear track width effectively softens the rear torsion beam so if anything, the spacers will make the car feel a little bit less nimble. Now that I have the rear sway bar on mine, it's hard to say if the spacers help or not but I'd still guess they don't.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Take a look at the picture in the link below. There's a separate ring in the middle of the spacer that protrudes into the center of the wheel and fits quite tightly. I believe its job is to engage on the center of the wheel so the wheel is hub-centric, not lug-centric.

ICHIBA Version 2 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers 25MM

Before you get too excited about these spacers, understand that they didn't improve the cornering performance of the car at all as far as I can tell. They did help with the rutted highway "tram-lining" issue and they improved the aesthetics in my opinion. Handling-wise, a wider rear track width effectively softens the rear torsion beam so if anything, the spacers will make the car feel a little bit less nimble. Now that I have the rear sway bar on mine, it's hard to say if the spacers help or not but I'd still guess they don't.
PM sent JoelR.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Thanks to this thread's OP. I followed suit and installed a set on my car today.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
The wiggles turned into to an out of control rear end wag that sent my blue '02 off the road and rolling over and over eight rows deep in a corn field. If this mod along with the GAZ shocks and after market springs can save my '05 from the same fate then it's going on the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed 25mm adapters

Also took the plunge, wanted to eliminate some of the tramlining on grooved pavement. Amazon had a pair of European Motorwerks for $46 shipped. Got them on this weekend and feel more controlled over grooved pavement, but lost a little bit of the tight turn in I had before on curves. Stock springs and shocks. Did trim a little of the lower edge of the spats since the rear of the tires seems to be within 1/4".... just a little bit of the black part as it goes around the bulge of the tire.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
No wheel bearing problems for me, but like OP said if you're running 185 section width tires they'll rub. I had to notch the spats where the wheels stick out towards the rear. Nothing visible from the outside, just the lip on the inside.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Reviving this old thread....

I've taken the plunge and installed 25mm wheel spacers on the rear of my 2001 citrus G1. As others have said the 25mm spacers fit under the spats without any adjustment required - although it is quite snug.

I will compare the citrus with the driving experience in my 2001 red car over the next few weeks and post any difference I notice. Going by the posts above (and elsewhere in IC) some say there is a difference and others say not. I've also noted the comments above about wheel bearing stress leading to failure - I'm willing to take the risk (although I hope Eli's right).

Both my cars have suspension modifications. I have Scott's front springs, Matiz rear springs (but not standard Matiz, they are aftermarket sport and progressive rate springs that keep the original ride height at the back) and GAZ adjustable rear shocks.

Regardless of any handling changes the spacers certainly give my Insight a rather neat looking stance. :cool:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If the wheel spacers on my insight would have caused accelerated wear on the 250k miles wheel bearings I think I would have noticed it by now after track days and hitting a pot hole so bad that my car went air born and slammed hard enough that the fix a flat popped off and sprayed everything :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Agreed, I don't track my car but I'm definitely one of the "hoonier" drivers of an Insight. The front end has tape to keep the aero on because I was bottoming out offroad with it on multiple occasions.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
If the wheel spacers on my insight would have caused accelerated wear on the 250k miles wheel bearings I think I would have noticed it by now after track days and hitting a pot hole so bad that my car went air born and slammed hard enough that the fix a flat popped off and sprayed everything :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I'm pleased to hear that. I hope my experience is the same. 😊

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got a 200K mile car that has one or both rear wheel bearings going out. I haven't narrowed it down yet. Also been through 2 front wheel bearings on the 345K mile car in the last 2 years.

Regarding the spacers, why not buy spacers that don't have the insert and that it's part of the spacer? (ie one piece). Also, for those who drive in the snow. I've lost 2 skirts driving on roads when heavy snow/slosh ripped them off. I typically pull them off for winter. Has anyone run spacer wider than the 25mm with the skirts off. To make the rear track match the front?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I've got a 200K mile car that has one or both rear wheel bearings going out. I haven't narrowed it down yet. Also been through 2 front wheel bearings on the 345K mile car in the last 2 years.

Regarding the spacers, why not buy spacers that don't have the insert and that it's part of the spacer? (ie one piece). Also, for those who drive in the snow. I've lost 2 skirts driving on roads when heavy snow/slosh ripped them off. I typically pull them off for winter. Has anyone run spacer wider than the 25mm with the skirts off. To make the rear track match the front?
My citrus car has less than 80,000 miles on it (125,000 kms), so I'm way short of where yours is.

The spacers I bought are one piece. They are aluminium and weigh a little less than 1kg each.

There's no snow where I live. However, I think that anyone who does live with snow should probably consider removing the spats

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
My spats stay on fine in Vermont. We get over 100” of snow sometimes, and I haven’t seen any indication I should remove them.
I'm pleased to hear that. 😊 I should probably not speculate about what people who live with winter snow should do. It was about 105 degrees F. here yesterday (though less than 10% humidity). 🌞

61 - 80 of 80 Posts