Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something smells phony with this auction
2001 Honda Insight | eBay
Car sells for inflated price but then is relisted. Imagine that? Guy is located in the same tiny town I live but I've never seen him. He also did a cut and paste from one of my auctions and added to his auction. Just a heads up.
Gerald

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I've hear of situations where they have a shill bid up the item, in hopes that a real bidder will step in and bid more. Can easily backfire, of course.

Or sometimes a person bids on an item, but backs out of the sale. Annoying.

In either case, NO WAY is a 280K mile Insight going for $3,000.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Now the ad say "SOLD".

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I noticed he had his contact info in the ad itself.

It could also be that he completed the sale outside of ebay.
That way he skips the fees.
Basically used the listing as a "free" ad.

Of course this means no protection for the buyer (or seller).

Some people always want the cheapest price regardless of the consequences. <shrugs shoulders>.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
He's got it listed again here: 2001 Honda Insight

If he's got shills billing on it, there were 7 different bidder on the first round and he's got 6 on this one (with a high bid of $112.50).

So, 6 bidders, and it's only at $112.50?
Look at the bidding history on some of those users (yup, definitely shills)

·
Super Moderator
6,877 Posts
Look at the bidding history on some of those users (yup, definitely shills)
How are you seeing bidding history? When I click on the bidder link, eBay takes me to a different bidder, or at least a different 5 character bidder identifier.

eBay did take me to one bidder, not in the list for this auction, who had made tons of bids in last 30 days on tons of different cars and watercraft. Click on the one called c***b and you'll see what I mean - still he doesn't seem to be in the bidding in current auction?????

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
How can you tell they are shills?
What are some of the telltale signs?
from the auction page, click on the bids to show you the individual bidders. From there, you can click on any individual to show you what they are currently bidding on. Multiple bids for an assortment of different types of vehicles looks suspicious to me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,877 Posts
From there, you can click on any individual to show you what they are currently bidding on.
When I do this, eBay changes the identity code. I'm not sure I'm dealing with the same bidder??????

I did find one bidder who was bidding on a wide variety of different cars and ATV, so he certainly looked like a shill. Still - eBay assigned him a 100 as a bidder. Mysterious system to me:(

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
all I know, is that if this guy gets >3k for THIS CVT - I've got one for sale too :) haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts