Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I just bought a new to me 2002 CVT Insight and drove it from Ft Lauderdale back to Athens AL it got 43.7 MPG for 1156.2 miles. I was driving 70 - 78 MPH on the way back with no effort to try and maximize MPG. The overall MPG is 29.1 for 030392 miles on the car right now. Any ideas on why or how the overall MPG is so low.
Thanks,
Robert

·
Super Moderator
4,730 Posts
The PO probably only made short trips.

Sam

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Tazmoe / Robert

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new" gem.

The "search" function, as well as the IC "knowledge base" and "encyclopedia" will provide answers to most questions an Insight owner will have. The "stickies" in each forum area are also well stocked with info, with many containing links.

Keep an eye on the "hybrid socials and events" forum for advertisements of meet-ups that may be near your area. These are great opportunities to meet with other Insight owners to share ideas and experience.

As for your mpg:

Like Sam said above, prior owner drove on short trips or just hammered the throttle in stop and go traffic.

+1 on reset the "lifetime mpg, lmpg", then you can track your mileage based on your driving habits. The owners manual describes how.

Ease up on the throttle a bit by 5 mpg or so and the mileage will get even better. The 76 mpg link in my signature has some easy things to do for improving mpg. There's a link in that post to an informative article by Wayne Gerdes about hypermiling.

Good luck and happy Insighting,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments

I'll reset it. I seem to be getting between 44 - 51 mpg. I changed the rotors and pads hoping for some improvement because the car had apparently sat for a long time and they were rusted. they felt kind of rough when spinning a whell while off the ground.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
How many whell(s) do you have on your vehicle?
Getting good mileage takes some training, and a lot of experimentation.

Enjoy.
HTH
Willie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts