Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has changed out plugs for the purpose of increasing fuel economy. I know the plugs are made for 120K+, but we're always searching for ways to pinch that penny.

Thanks, Dave.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
My theory was some colder plugs would help with allowing more timing and in turn better mpg.

My supercharged tacoma required 3 prong copper plugs where as the oem were 2 prong denso ones. I had to order these online by some off road company.

In my past its my experience japanese made engines work best with ngk plugs. My sidekick for example required a v grove ngk plug stock and ngk makes it. :)

The gen 1 guys talk about theirs needing indexed plugs and some go as far as to mark the plug and use washers to make sure its oriented correctly.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Have you priced the oem plugs? I wouldn't be throwing them away before their stated life is up. A different plug would have to have a big mileage gain to justify the cost. Considering how expensive the plugs are that Honda specced, I doubt they would have shied away from using something that would have increased the mileage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
3 prong plus might offer longer life but no performance or mpg difference. When a spark occurs it only travels through the path of least resistance. It does not arc across all 3 prongs like the picture on the box and the propaganda makes you think.

Even if it did there is a flash point for engine fire. Once the flash point is met the combustion occurs. A spark with more energy or heat will not make the fuel burn harder. There is a set amount of energy in the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. Adding more spark doesn't increase that energy. Simple physics.

Now as 1 ground strap wears out the spark will occur at the best ground strap so it is possible to get more life out of the plug but once the center electrode wears then it's done.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I am not normally in the 2nd gen section, but when I saw E3 plugs, I had to respond. I put a set in a Chevy 350 engine. In less than 100 miles, the tip they weld to the electrodes came off and wrecked the cylinder. They DID stand behind their plugs...after they examined the plug, they paid for repairs (I just went ahead and installed a rebuilt engine).
Just a warning.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
The factory plugs are long-life NGK Iridiums, I doubt you will find better performance/longevity out of some gimmicky multi-ground plug.

You can swap them for denso iridiums, but you have to get the long life variant if you want them to go 120k. If you get performance (thin-tip) NGK/denso iridiums or coppers, you need to change them more often (30k).

·
Registered
6 Posts
My factory plugs didn't make it to 120k - #4 on MM at 100k both my hondas have been that way, E3s are guaranteed for 5 years/100k - and I bought all 8 for less than the price of 2 NGK. I bought the insight 2nd hand with 40k miles on it- it's never ran well from day 1 - lots of low speed bucking and shuddering; almost like an old manual shift when you shifted too soon, anyhow I'm hoping these help. It's definitely not my favorite car of all time but it's never left me stranded

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My factory plugs didn't make it to 120k - #4 on MM at 100k both my hondas have been that way, E3s are guaranteed for 5 years/100k - and I bought all 8 for less than the price of 2 NGK. I bought the insight 2nd hand with 40k miles on it- it's never ran well from day 1 - lots of low speed bucking and shuddering; almost like an old manual shift when you shifted too soon, anyhow I'm hoping these help. It's definitely not my favorite car of all time but it's never left me stranded
Where are you and what model year Insight?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am not normally in the 2nd gen section, but when I saw E3 plugs, I had to respond. I put a set in a Chevy 350 engine. In less than 100 miles, the tip they weld to the electrodes came off and wrecked the cylinder. They DID stand behind their plugs...after they examined the plug, they paid for repairs (I just went ahead and installed a rebuilt engine).
Just a warning.....
had something similar happen to a customer who ran the 4 pronged bosch plugs, however i don't know if he ever bothered trying to get them to pay for repairs. wasn't a honda but still, i don't recommend anything more than 2 pronged plugs, mostly because there is no point to more than that. valves were bent and the engine had low compression on multiple cylinders and wouldn't drive anymore.

in other words, more prongs does not make a better plug.

Can't remember seeing plugs where the porcelain was burnt like that
happens all the time actually.

granted it doesn't usually develop until the plugs are at the end of their life.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
with all the negative about them in this thread, it still confuses me why you'd want to risk them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've driven the car all week with no issues, doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference. They are guaranteed for 100K and the price is way less. It's not a hard job to do so why not try something different? Hopefully by the time 200K rolls around on the clock- I won't own the car anymore

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've driven the car all week with no issues, doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference. They are guaranteed for 100K and the price is way less. It's not a hard job to do so why not try something different? Hopefully by the time 200K rolls around on the clock- I won't own the car anymore
Thanks! I just picked up the same plugs today along with the anti-sieze, socket, socket extension, etc. Hopefully it's as easy as it seems on the guide I've seen here. After the 30% coupon, all parts were 57 dollars vs 380 quoted from dealer.

·
Registered
622 Posts
after owning dozens of cars over the years and balling out hotrods it's best to stick to the stock plugs - you can't go wrong ... the only time i'd try a different plug is if an upgrade calls for a hotter or cooler running plug

1 - 20 of 24 Posts