Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Insight has about 116000 miles on it and since I got it used last year, I am not sure if past owner did any fluid flushes on it and after taking it to the local Honda dealer this week, they told me that they can not find any previous maintenance in their system.

I know I probably need to do some maintenance work done. But even the Honda dealer service rep seemed lost as to what needs to be replaced exactly. For example, he did not even know that the transmission has a filter that needs to be replaced at some point. I was told that they rarely come across Insights, specially that there are not many of them on the road here in Quebec, Canada.

Can I bring my car to a normal mechanic for things like Transmission Flush, Brake Fluid flush, Steering Wheel Fluid flush, Coolant Flush, etc.. or does it have to be someone specializing in hybrid vehicles so that they do not mess up the car?

Also, do I need genuine original Honda parts?

And for the Spark plugs, any idea if these need replacement at this point or am I in need to do any other maintenance done?

I know the car slightly shakes when I drive it when it is cold but was told that this most likely due to transmission fluid not being changed since a long time.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You have had it over a year and never have had the the transmission fluid changed? Do that tomorrow. Use only genuine Honda CVT fluid. Never let anyone "flush" it. All Honda transmissions drain and fill like changing engine oil.
As far as a Honda dealer not knowing about changing a filter, that filter is really there for Honda to use for forensics after a failure. Changing that in line filter is optional, done by the thorough and obsessive around here. If one really wants to be obsessive, there is another filter inside the CVT that one of our members who is also a mechanic dropped the pan and replaced. But just draining and refilling every other oil change will make a big difference.

The brake fluid gets changed every three years regardless of miles. I can't remember how important using real Honda fluid is, but it does need to meet the spec.

The power steering fluid does not really have a schedule, but it woudn't hurt to do it. That does require genuine Honda fluid, because you can never get all the old fluid out. There are a couple of methods, one involves removing a hose and letting the pump move old fluid out as you add fresh. The other uses a siphon or turkey Baster to remove fluid. It's all about diluting dirty spent fluid.

The coolant is supposed to be done at 120k or ten years whichever comes first. It is also important to use real Honda fluid for that, also because you never really get all the old out. It is best to mix the same back in.

The spark plugs are scheduled at about 105k, but, because the are so expensive, some of us are just leaving them in for a while. There are 8 of them & the rear bank is hard to get to. They are like $18.00 each in the US.

All the maintenance is called for by the MID (multi information display) setting letter and number codes. Those are outlined in the manual. If you do not have the manual, just Google "2010 Honda Insight owner's manual" and you should get some links to PDF copies. Some of those are "linked" in other words the table of contents will have page numbers in blue that, when clicked, go directly to that section.

You do not have to have everything done a Honda dealer, but an independent that specializes in Honda's. They will at least know enough not to mess up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks egads,

So at 187000 km on my Insight and not having past service history, would you recommend that I also ask Honda to replace the transmission oil filter along with the transmission oil?

And not sure what you meant by never let anyone flush the transmission oil. I thought "flush" was the word used to refer to liquid change in the car?

For the spark plugs, I looked at a youtube video and it looks hard for me to get to the back ones. And the dealer quoted me almost $400 CAN for the spark plugs replacement which is a bit too much for me at the moment. Guess I will wait a bit for those. Just hope that the slight shaking at cold starts, when I take off with car is more related to transmission oil being too old and not the spark plugs. Hopefully transmission oil change would take care of that.

I lost my owner's manual so will definitely google that one as you have suggested.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
We'll, for our CVTs it seems that a drain and refill gets most of the fluid replaced. On a typical Honda automatic, only about a third of the fluid comes out. The flush problem comes from non dealer repair shops that have a machine the "flushes" all the fluid. That forced fluid change can do damage to Honda transmissions. For that reason you would be wise to avoid the term.
Perhaps flushing is a Canadian term? Flushing is the term that gets used for coolant though.
As to the filter, they may be willing to do that, but getting fresh fluid in there asap is the priority. The filter might be moot if there is damage from waiting so long. It's pretty typical for an American made automatic to never get it's fluid changed, so it may not have been on the previous owner's radar. But all Honda automatics have required regular fluid changes from the beginning. An Honda mechanics have changed the fluid in their own cars far more often than recommended.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I understand what you mean by "flush", thanks for the clarification.

So I will search for a reliable independent mechanic for the Transmission Fluid change but if price is not better than dealer, will stick to dealer for now.

Unfortunately, it is way too cold outside right now here, to attempt to do it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Moota
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing