Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to say that I have fixed my Insight's "gutlessness" and the power levels are returning to normal. Talk about low-tech. Remove air-intake hose, add lots of throttle=plate cleaner into open throttle and let soak overnight, repeat. It seems the more I do this, the more my power is coming back. Sure glad I didn't buy anymore needless parts! Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. 8)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Power Loss

Hi Dfiore,
This is good news, hope it works. What Willie and John said still applies though. When you take the air intake hose off to do the cleaner thing, let engine idle and cover the intake, engine should stall right away from stopping the air going in. If it does not you have a vacuum leak that the cleaner may be fixing temporarily by swelling a gasket or seal. Good news either way, your there or will be soon. This is also good knowledge to have for hyper milers to be. Jack

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leak?

Maybe after I have the tranny fixed, and you're putting in my turbo, you'll stumble across something... :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Difiore" I'm glad you have finnally gotten yours fixed. It seems like I said somthing months ago about checking the air flow into the engine. It sounds like it was all gummed up with that varinsh that auto gas has in it. You may windup having to remove the entire intake system all the way to the cylinder head to completly clean it out. I have heard of this having to be preformed on other high mileage cars. The EGR and PCV systems clog up first and then every thing else starts to clog. By the way I think that you are still the high milage leader on this forum. Just my 2c

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all gummed up.

I went to Miami and back today, for work. It was interesting to note that 5:30 in the morning, I was getting about 58mpg at 80mph, but as the sun came up, I watched it drop to 48mpg. Guess it's not completely cleaned out, yet. :roll: I'm thinking that maybe a new throttle body may be the answer to this. I can avoid paying $650 for a new one by going to a junk yard for about $130 :!: One thing I've been thinking about is that if there IS an air leak somewhere, it should be helping the air intake, not hurting it. If the throttle boy is removed and replaced with a newer one, both sensors will be replaced as theyare riveted to it. Also, the dealer could clean out what it goes into. If nothing else works, I could have them rebuild and clean it out. I'm not ready to go "there" just yet.

-Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts