Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, okay, not "never," but close to it. I seem to spend most of my driving time now at three bars of charge (this is after these magical software updates). However, it's not what I would normally have expected from three bars' worth before the updates -- that is, I seem to get full assist for quite a while on three bars, whereas normally I'd expect that maybe once, then some partial assist, then watch the meter drop to nothing and force itself to charge while I poke along.

I guess it doesn't really "matter" per se (the car drives, charges, and assists just fine as far as I can tell), but now I feel like I'd be just as well off if the battery SOC indicator was just a "battery has some charge/battery has no charge" lamp. Has anyone else noticed this? It does very occasionally bottom out and force a recharge, or occasionally top out and no longer charge even from braking, but not very often. It just seems that now whenever I glance at the meter it's ... three bars.

2001 5-speed with 90,000 miles

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Look at the bright side: no point to look at the meter anymore, so you can keep your eyes on the road :cool:

Did you try charging the battery to full to see if that gets it out of this mode? (park car in neutral, rev engine to 3k rpm until SoC is full. Waste of gas, but it will get the battery full!)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I'd do an IMA forced reset in this case.

Disconnect the 12v battery for about 1 min then follow Armin's suggestion. But instead of "wasting" the gas just plan it with a needed upcoming trip. Expect engine power to be significantly lower due to the resulting forced charge and lack of any IMA assist for the first few miles.

The IMA MCM & BCM can get "confused" and SoC will languish in the doldrums for weeks at a time before a recal ("automatic" reset).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
No, It's not normal. As suggested ,do a reset. I have the same issue and it is cured by a reset. I did the reset , took off and 4 miles later SOC indication was at 100%. I have driven about 500 miles since then and it is still acting normal. A few others have the same problem. See:http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5651

I contacted the dealer after I did the reset. He told me that the next time it happens, to bring the car in so they could run some tests.
How many miles has it been since your update?
Do you use FAS?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re:

ok, I just disconnected the (-) on the 12V for a few mins then ran the engine for about 5 mins and the battery is now 100% :D

...but now the EPS light came on :(

...should I disconnect the 12V one more time to reset the EPS???

thanks for you help!

·
Registered
232 Posts
You probably just blew the EPS fuse. Check it and replace if needed.

As I recall from reading other posts on this subject, it is recommended that you pull the EPS fuse prior to the reset proceedure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Patrickmilburn said:
You probably just blew the EPS fuse. Check it and replace if needed.

As I recall from reading other posts on this subject, it is recommended that you pull the EPS fuse prior to the reset proceedure.
Pulling the fuse is not to avoid it's burning up, but rather from setting, by design, an EPS fault just as your described.

To avoid the EPS fault when recharging the IMA battery at idle, pull the EPS fuse before charging.

The Service Manual mentions that the EPS will fault when the car is run at above ~3k rpm, with the car below ~1mph, for a few minutes. (anyone else can add real numbers if they've the manual handy).

I hadn't figured out why Honda decided that this should set a fault - but it does.

Reset the EPS fault by whatever means you like - pulling the 12VDC via the battery, would do it, as would directly resetting the EPS via the procedure in the Service Manual.

-Jeff

·
Registered
230 Posts
well after the forced recal - the battery stayed nicely charged around 90% for 2 days.....until this morning...it topped out a few times then near the end of my 25 mile commute, the battery sunk down to 3 bars. When I parked, I revved the engine to 3000rpm for about 3 mins with no increase in bars (altho it was charging). I shut it down and went inside; we'll see how it does over the next 24 hrs. I may be taking it in for its 2nd battery replacement (first was at approx 40K in 2006, now at 68K).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts