Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy polar vortex, batman!
After 8 years the starter motor turned the car over for the first time ... took 20 minutes for the blue temp light to go off at idle

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just for the record I believe your car only needs idle for 30 seconds before driving, then driving (calmly) is actually better for the engine.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While it may or may not be better for the engine it certainly isnt better for my quickly aging - and highly susceptible to the cold - ***. I start it, run inside and once it warms up then i beat it. Ive already resolved that my next car will have remote start.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
It never really warms up when it's below freezing and just idling. Next time before you drive it, open the the hood and feel the lower radiator hose. Bet it's stone cold even after 10 minutes idling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
While it may or may not be better for the engine it certainly isnt better for my quickly aging - and highly susceptible to the cold - ***. I start it, run inside and once it warms up then i beat it. Ive already resolved that my next car will have remote start.
You can get a remote start installed in most cars. I'm not sure anyone installed one on the Insight.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Though I drive a first gen, I think the following would be useful. I put a piece of corrugated plastic in front of the radiator that covers 3/4 or more of the radiator/grill opening. It's tall enough it doesn't hit the hood when it closes and is 20 or inches wide. Just idling, my car will at least warm to 2, sometimes 4 bars after a short bit in temps below freezing. Once on the road, it warms rather quickly, hitting 6 bars within a mile of my house. I install the plastic in late NOV through April.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
morpheus
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing