Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeny is due for her 30k service. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions/advice on things they should check out/fix/adjust, etc that they might not usually do. I am noticing a bit of a rattle during normal driving, seemingly coming from driver's side front. Anything else I need to watch out for? They want $300+ for this, which I was kind of expecting, but I want to get my $'s worth.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The usual

Go by the listed items in your owner's manual, and make 'em prove they did the work to your satisfaction!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
For those that aren't mechanically inclined, it's hard to see proof the work was actually done, if you don't know what to look for.

I don't have this problem as I do all the inspections and routine service on my own vehicles. That way I know it's done correctly.

But I do feel for those that don't have a clue. I guess you have to have blind faith. Doesn't help much though if you are left stranded because work didn't get completed as it should have.

My suggestion is buy a service manual set so you can at least learn about what gets done and how it gets done. Then you can ask specific questions to the service department about the work they did and not come across like an easy dupe.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We just added a Silver to the driveway which went to the dealership for its 30K service about a month ago.

We copied & highlighted the Maintenance Schedule items (schedules start at page 148 in the 2000 Owner's Manual... and are also available online via Honda Owner's Link) and wrote down additional things that we hoped the mechanics would check out too.

I happened to stroll back to the parts department to purchase a tube of Shin Etsu and saw the work order, our home note and all the appropriate parts and filters grouped together on the counter. Even if I had not seen this, I would still trust and appreciate the mechanics here. I think they do a good job. We've been through an IMA replacement together... a strangely bonding experience.

Total bill was $334.43. Work included changing out the transmission fluid, cleaning the brakes, replacing the rear wiper and adding a fuel system cleaner in addition to the listed 30K services. Because this Insight was "new" to us and it looked like the last full maintenance servicing had been done at 15K, it seemed due and appropriate.

Regards and best wishes with little greeny's servicing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Wow, Kathleen, that's so cool that you guys have his & hers. I'm needing to update/upgrade our '94 Subaru wagon...you see, I think it's some sort of law 'round these parts that everyone MUST own at least ONE dark green Subaru wagon! Anyway, I'm so tempted to get the chicky an automatic Insight, but we need a good snow/cargo vehicle, so for now we'll be just a one Insight fam...but someday!

Thanks for the comments on the servicing...sounds like it's a bit of a crap shoot. I can change oil if need be, but my days of doing anything substantial on a car ended when I attempted to rebuild a carb on my '66 Mustang. Let's just say that the neighbors' ears are STILL ringing from the sound one achieves when one forgets to put a gasket back on before reinstalling the carb.

Honda of Northampton here I come, with fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Servicing isn't that risky else most of us would be walking. :D

I wouldn't worry about anything more than the ocassional honest mistake. Yes, there are horror stories and its those that we tell to our grandchildren.

Seems we forget that smooth sailing is the norm (and it makes a boring story too ;) )

HTH! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts