Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right. Pulled up to the first light this morning with the engine still not warmed up so the auto-stop would not yet kick in. Usually I manually kill the engine because it's a l-o-n-g light. That's just what I did this morning and shortly after restarting and pulling away from the light I see I'm getting 150mpg! Okay, well not really, the gauge was just "stuck" at 150mpg. Next light auto-stop is working and the mileage indicator drops to zero at the light as it should. I pull away and it remains at zero for maybe 10sec then shoots back up to 150mpg and stays there.

I'm need to get the car in for it's first service anyway but can anyone shed any light on what happened? I'm sort of looking for a second opinion before the dealer's.

Any help is greatly appreciated, AJ

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It seems to be a known bug that occasionally happens. I haven't personally seen it, but others have reported it happening. Simply turning the car off and on again seems to fix it. No worries, unless it stays that way there's nothing the dealership can do about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm........

So ya mean if this problem was coming and going once in awhile your life time average could be really impressive :shock:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah, but it wouldn't be real. And I don't think it would happen often enough to matter unless you just waited for it to happen then immediately proceeded to take a long trip without shutting the car off.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I just had this happen to me on the January 29th. (post title "driving in city but Instantaneous Display remains at Zero?")
It was kind of strange to see. I 'll be interested to see if it ever happens again.
The anomaly went away after I turned off/on the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Reproducibility...

I've made it happen now three times on downhill trips where I shut off the engine for the coast down, but I haven't ever been able to consistently reproduce it. It's kind of like, if I think it's going to happen, it doesn't, and if I forget about it, it does :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
My instant MPG stuck on me for the first time today...when I came to a stop it would go back to zero, but as soon as I started up again, it shot up to 150 and stayed there. It seemed to be normal again on the return trip (after shuting my car off and restarting it later in the day) I hope it doesn't happen again, it kinda freaked me out. But then, it IS Friday the 13th!! :? 8)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've had it happen. I've also had the opposite happen once after turning the engine off at a light where the mileage went in reverse. In other words, while coasting the mileage should have been at 150, but it was at zero instead. Then when I put it in gear and gave it gas, the mileage went up. Very weird. Turning the engine off again fixed the problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've had it happen twice. It is definitely tied to turning off the engine and then restarting without turning the key all the way off. I had it happen when I was parked listening to the radio and I just re-started the engine. Since then I always turn the car off completely before restarting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This happens to me occasionally as well. It's pretty annoying and the only way I've found to 'fix' it is to shut the engine off, then restart it.

Anyone know if it affects your LMPG readout?

·
Hybrid Technologist
313 Posts
I'm sure it does.... but being "stuck" for a couple of miles out of thousands.... will have a trivial effect.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had this happen to me 3 times or so.
Each time seems to have occurred when I turn off the engine at a stop. Usually I have been suckered into taking my foot off the brake and had the engine re-start. I turn off the ignition, but the light changes in less than ten seconds (fooled again!), so I restart. The instant mpg reads at max until I turn off the ignition, wait, and re-start.

It's kind of a kick to see the mpg stay that high, but I don't know what else the condition is doing to the car. So I stop it as soon as I reasonably can. (Also I try harder not to get suckered by traffic lights so much :roll: )

griller

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree that this is a known bug in the Insight software.
Aside from the safety considerations, this is one of the reasons why "ignition cycling" (also known as "forced auto stop") should never be allowed in fuel economy competition that uses the FCI as a metric.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts