Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, there is a thread on overfilled oil changes at the dealer...and from the responses, it seems that most of you change the oil yourself....But my life is waaayyy to busy to do it myself now. I used to take my Toyota, to a place that changed my oil, and washed, waxed, and cleaned the inside of my car while I ate lunch...(Hey, I was multitasking!)

Unfortuntately, my old place cannot do the oil change/wash on my Insight because: (1) They don't have the right oil 0-20); (2) They don't have the right size oil filter; and (3) They can't wash the car because of the wheel skirts (i.e. they won't take them off)....This is a bummer, and creates more "work" on my part (Go ahead and call me lazy, if you wish :oops: )

I tried a few local "oil change" places, but ran into the same problems regarding oil/filter specs....

...soooo, do any of you take your Insight to a national oil change place (like JiffyLube, SpeeDee, etc)???? Please name names....

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
If it is of help, I go the a dealer but I carry my own oil and filter.

This is because twice, I had appointments and they either missed one or the other. Ever since, I also bring synthetic oil.

Maybe if you do the same, the other tech could do it. Of course, it cost a little more (because the 'normal' charge does not apply)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I take mine to the dealer via a pre-arranged appointment. He's just as fast as the Jiffy Lube I used to visit, and the service is a LOT better (he usually gives me a free inspection). I too bring my own oil.

Before you take any car to Jiffy Lube, read this. Remember most of those oil changers are just high school or college kids with no real knowledge about cars. "Good service is not quick, jiffy, speedy, or cheap, thrifty, inexpensive etc." http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automoti ... y_lube.htm

I blame Jiffy Lube for stripping the threads on my old car's oil drain (required buying a whole new pan).

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Patrick:

___To go along with what some have already posted in this thread …

___I have to assume you have a Walmart near you somewhere … With that, pick up (5) qt’s of Mobil1 0W-20 ($4.27/qt. last week) and (2) SuperTech model # ST6607 filter’s ($2.07/filter last week). Call your local Honda dealerships and ask what there price is for a std. Hybrid oil change. The quote will probably come back at $39.95 or more. Ask the rep what it would cost if you brought in your own synthetic and filter. If it’s < $10.00 like the Honda dealership not a mile from my home, you have the beginnings of a great and lengthy relationship. Take 3 quarts of your Mobil1 0W-20 and 1 filter to the change. The key is to specify that you want that .5 quarts back! Also make sure they replace the crush washer and warn them about the magnesium pan. With that, you will receive all you need and with the least of inconveniences if your local dealership will provide such a service at this cost. I take all but the Ranger into them now given the minimal price. The Ranger is high enough off the ground and I am not so concerned with a future purchaser of it caring of I have a fully documented record of its oil changes. The demographic interested in a used Ford Ranger P/U would be far less concerned with such a detailed record, I am quite sure.

___To add … Don’t expect the local Honda dealership to have a top grade ASE and/or Honda certified mechanic performing the oil changes either. They (Honda dealerships) have more important work for those guys and gals to be doing then simple oil changes. It will more then likely be the new (non-certified) mechanic or new hire off the street doing these. The protection is in your specific instructions including the .5 quarts back. I ask to see the oil change guy and always include a soda after the job is complete. He knows our Acura MDX, the Honda Insight, and Toyota Corolla by memory now because of this ;) He first wanted to take the tires to spec on all the vehicles but there again, specify your wants and needs. I now specify 60 #’s for the Insight, 50 #’s for the Corolla, and 40 #’s for the MDX although you may prefer a bit lower pressures yourself.

___All told, it usually takes about an hour with an appointment setup via Honda Ownerlink. Make sure you sign up for this as the appointment selection via the internet is worth its weight in gold imho. The oil costs ~ $10.67, the filter $2.07, and the change is usually ~ $9.75. There are very few that can justify changing their own when the price for full synthetic oil and semi-synthetic based filter as well as the task being performed and recorded at your local Honda dealership costs < $22.50.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:uh4zeoqk][email protected][/email:uh4zeoqk]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Patrick said:
But my life is waaayyy to busy to do it myself now.

In the time it takes to drive to the oil change shop, wait for it to get completed and drive home, you could have done it yourself. Then you would know it was done right.

·
Registered
569 Posts
xcel said:
___I have to assume you have a Walmart near you somewhere … With that, pick up (5) qt’s of Mobil1 0W-20 ($4.27/qt. last week) and (2) SuperTech model # ST6607 filter’s ($2.07/filter last week).
___All told, it usually takes about an hour with an appointment setup via Honda Ownerlink.
___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2ty9kxur][email protected][/email:2ty9kxur]

Our Walmart doesn't carry Mobil1 0W-20, however Pep Boys does, and has it on sale every few weeks for $3.99. Hagerstown Honda has an express oil change so you don't need an appointment. One question, how or where can I learn to change my own oil? TIA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Good tips and suggestions...Thanks to all for the info! :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bfivelover:

___Remove the aero cover, pull the drain plug and let her drain into a > 3 qt. container. Once drained, reinstall the drain plug with a new crush washer. Pull the filter. Use some of the old oil as a film to smear the rubber gasket of the new filter and twist it in. Make sure all is tight, install aero cover and fill w/ 2.5 quarts of Mobil1.

___The problem is getting your little beauty high enough so you can work under her. If your local dealership will do the change with your oil and filter for < $10.00, just do it. Your Insight’s records are complete, they dispose of the used motor oil, and if there tech or oil change guy/gal strip the threads in that magnesium pan, it’s their dime, not yours. You will also have the fortune of never having a ramp slip out from under an RE92 ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1wl55z8t][email protected][/email:1wl55z8t]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts