Registered
4,006 Posts
This video makes me so sad :(

Sam

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed. I always viewed the Aptera as my logical successor to the 1st gen Insight. I still view the VW XL1 (formerly called the 1 liter car) as a logical successor. But it will be far out of my price range. Oh well, the Aptera would have been very nice.

-Bryan
I'm betting with a tax credit, the cost for a basic model would be around the same cost as an Insight EX.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
ROFLMAO!!! Looks like someone crossed the chrysler prowler with a geo metro and a giant stepped on the back half of it.

I rather have the yellow 3 wheeled vehicle that leans into the turns.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ROFLMAO!!! Looks like someone crossed the chrysler prowler with a geo metro and a giant stepped on the back half of it.

I rather have the yellow 3 wheeled vehicle that leans into the turns.

I would consider getting one if I got a really good deal on it. It's not THAT bad looking and reportedly gets 300 MPG! I bet it's a death trap in an accident though, A fender bender and it's totaled for sure.

·
6,928 Posts
:(

Sad indeed....

I would consider getting one if I got a really good deal on it. It's not THAT bad looking and reportedly gets 300 MPG! I bet it's a death trap in an accident though, A fender bender and it's totaled for sure.
You do realize that Aptera went bankrupt... Right?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
:(

Sad indeed....

You do realize that Aptera went bankrupt... Right?
Yeah, I looked into the car further and found out they went bankrupt a few months ago.

Aptera: Another Innovative Electric Car Company Goes Bankrupt | The Green Optimistic

It's a shame because I think they would have made it big if the feds gave them a helping hand. All the billions for GM and they couldn't spare 150 mil for Aptera. 90+ % of the car's components were to be made in the USA too. So much for creating US Jobs and reducing dependency on oil.......

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
It's a crying shame if they have gone to the wall. With a well designed composite "tub" as the monocoque there is no reason it couldn't be as safe, or safer than a regular vehicle.

·
6,928 Posts
Yeah, I looked into the car further and found out they went bankrupt a few months ago.

Aptera: Another Innovative Electric Car Company Goes Bankrupt | The Green Optimistic

It's a shame because I think they would have made it big if the feds gave them a helping hand. All the billions for GM and they couldn't spare 150 mil for Aptera. 90+ % of the car's components were to be made in the USA too. So much for creating US Jobs and reducing dependency on oil.......

Aptera 2e - YouTube

I agree. It's a crock of **** really.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Supposedly the founder is looking into trying to start a new car company.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Back in the day in the early 1900s there were plenty of car company's out, some that hadn't even produced s car. Many folded. Many were disgruntled employees of another company. Some thought a company didn't know what they were doing and decided to make a car better.

Thats at least how you got Rolls and Lambo. The guy who started Lambo thought Ferri was sloppy in their engineering and wanted to "fix" the design.

Having said that, this vehicle is too strange to get off the ground. They would have better success ripping off the Chevy Segway vehicle for a single driver/passenger.

Then once they get the ball rollin, release the 300 mpg airplane like car. :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having said that, this vehicle is too strange to get off the ground. They would have better success ripping off the Chevy Segway vehicle for a single driver/passenger.

Then once they get the ball rollin, release the 300 mpg airplane like car. :)

True. However there are enough high MPG nuts around in this country and folks globally that they could have made it. People in other countries will drive cars that the average American wouldn't get get caught dead in. I bet you the car would have sold big time nn Japan.

As unconventional as it is, you can't tell me if they gave you one for free you would pass it up? I wouldn't mind having one; as a second vehicle.

Remember, to most people, the first gen Insight looks strange.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese or some one else reverse engineered the concept and started making something similar.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The Chinese, Indians, etc all have 3 wheeled vehicles that get hundreds of miles to a gallon. :)

Much like those said vehicles, I doubt they or this one will pass the American emissions or crash tests.

As a daily driver of i95 I want something I can jerk the wheel and cross multiple lanes of traffic or worse to worse make a U turn in the medium and go back the other way if needed in regards to a crash or a near mis. I doubt this car can do this, it looks like it has a high center of gravity.

Like I said, I want the yellow 3 wheeled vehicle shown in the middle of the segment that leans into the turns and the driver passenger sit front/back vs side/side.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Cobb you crazy.

I would have bought one of these in a second at the price point they were targeting (25k). Not in spite of the looks, but because of them.

It looks awesome, and the mileage of the hybrid under real world conditions was supposed to be 120 mpg (300 was the ideal 45 mph constant on perfectly level ground with no accessories, etc).

I wish I could go back in time and fire Paul Wilbur. OUT OF A CANNON.

Sam

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Nope :)

Sam

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I would have bought one of these in a second at the price point they were targeting (25k). Not in spite of the looks, but because of them.
I agree with Sam. There have been many discussions through the years on Insightcentral.net about the Aptera. One of the main themes of those discussions was a need to get beyond our rigid preconceived notions of what automobiles should look like. A previous poster in this thread mentioned that the 1st generation Insight was considered odd when it was debuted. Actually, it still is considered odd by many. But it is also loved by many. The Aptera was a wonderful design and I liked it.

-Bryan

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 25 Posts