Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a good experience with my warranty repair - the passenger window would not roll all the way up. Honda dealer got the car about 10 AM, had the diagnosis by 2 PM. They had the part by the next day (a new regulator) and repaired within 24 hours. They also provided a free loaner car (new Civic) during the repair. Can't complain about that!

I also had the 30,000 mile service and at $484 feel somewhat raped by what I got for the $ (filters, fluids, CVT fluid change, bumper to bumper inspection). $44 of parts, $440 of labor. But necessary to keep my extended HondaCare warranty valid. My friend who is a Honda mechanic told me to get the CVT fluid changed on time! (a CVT tranny is very expensive).

I liked driving the Civic. It is light and fast but the Insight feels like a sports car in comparison (handles so much better) and actually felt like it has more power - more peppy.

Anyways just letting you know that parts and repairs are available for these cars without waiting weeks and weeks.

And be prepared to pay through the nose for the 30K, 60K, 90K and 120K mile services!

·
Registered
338 Posts
hrmmm

I've never had ANY scheduled maint done on ANY of my five Hondas I've had.

Just kept an eye on fluids and all is well.

Also never had extended warranties either.

Strange....

·
Registered
274 Posts
2.6 Qts. of engine oil, a filter, 3 Qts. CVT fluid, and 2 crush washers = $44..??? $484 of labor??? The 2 fluid changes shouldn't have taken more than an hour and the rest of the so-called "inspection"? Checking tire pressure (they usually underinflate), belts, hoses, lights, etc. The work only needs to be documented as having been completed to keep your extended warranty valid, , not necessarily by your Honda dealer. Invest in a service manual and do most of the work yourself. Think about how much $$$ you will have spent after all of the "recommended scheduled services" At $484 every 30K, you will have spent $1452 for less than 100K. Thats' alot of oil and transmission fluid changes. I've never needed unsheduled service on any of my 4 Honda's in less than 100K miles.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
jimb517 said:
But necessary to keep my extended HondaCare warranty valid.

And be prepared to pay through the nose for the 30K, 60K, 90K and 120K mile services!
Read the fine print again. As long as lack of maintenance didn't cause / directly contribute to the failure then warranty cannot be denied (most states, warranty laws vary by state).

And even IF such applies in your state you are NOT required to have repairs done at any specific location (e.g. dealership). Next time go shopping. There are plenty of mom & pop Honda specialty shops around. Follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual or see the online owner's manual link in the Mod & Tech forum for the same.

HTH! :)

p.s.

trunkout said:
I've never had ANY scheduled maint done on ANY of my five Hondas I've had.
Reads like crisis management to me. Personally I prefer something less stressful.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had a good experience with my warranty repair

I don't think I would equate getting taken for extremely inflated prices a good experience. As the previous poster pointed out, all the fluids being changed should take roughly 2 hours at the very most on a newer car, figuring @$85/hr that should be $170 labor. There is no necessity in having the CVT fluid changed in that short of mileage, it won't hurt but there is certainly no need either, pure conjecture on your buddies behalf.

It is very common for the rumors to be spread concerning warranties, quality of repairs, frequency of engine and transmission oil, etc and for the unknowing to throw cash at them. Education is the only remedy...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Leeper said:
There is no necessity in having the CVT fluid changed in that short of mileage, it won't hurt but there is certainly no need either, pure conjecture on your buddies behalf.
There have been several credible posts of member experiences on this subject.

Use Genuine Honda CVT transmission fluid and change it on the severe (30,000) mile interval.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts